dan orourke Guest

Default Disconnect switch - hot tub

Last edited by dan orourke; 01-01-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Disconnect switch - hot tub

Quote Originally Posted by dan orourke View Post
    A disconnect switch is suppose within sight of the hot tub (not within 5 feet) correct?
    Correct.

From the NEC. (underlining is mine)
    - 680.41 Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs.
    - - A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings.

There was a metal electrical junction box within 5 feet of the hot tub with a metal cover plate. I think this was suppose to be the disconnect switch, but they never got around it.....
    Or someone told them it could not be within 5 feet of the spa, so they removed it and just did not bother installing another one in the proper location.

Now, the metal window frames and that metal electrical junction box within 5 feet of the hot tub should be bonded with the hot tub bonding system, correct?
    Correct.

Basically all permanently installed metallic items larger than 4" in the smallest dimension located within 5 feet of the spa and located less than 12 feet above the spa out to the 5 foot perimeter around the spa (like a big box placed over the spa). This includes metal window frames, gutters, drip edge, metal doors (not sliding glass doors themselves, but their tracks), hose bibbs, etc.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I was wondering how I missed this all these years, then I saw the last part of Jerry's post.

From the NEC. (underlining is mine)
    - 680.41 Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs.
    - - A clearly labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of stopping the motor(s) that provide power to the recirculation system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) away, adjacent to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement shall not apply to single-family dwellings
    No switch required, right?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jim,

You are correct.

The idea is that on a spa or hot tub location other than a home, it is now recommended that the spa motor not be on or circulating water for an " X "
    amount of time. I think is like every 15 or 20 minutes, the pump is supposed to shut down for a cool down period to prevent persons from sitting in the heated water for an over extended period of time.