Thread: Home Inspector

Gary Cobb Guest

Default Re: Home Inspector

The AFCI requirement is based on the circuits location, not its usage. You might want to read Article 210.12(B).

Like Jim Port stated, Arc-Fault protection is required for areas /rooms that the circuit supplies, not the load of the circuit.

Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter Protection is required for all 120 volt ,15 & 20 amp, single phase circuits supplying outlets installed in Family rooms,dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries,dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas.

Kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, basements, garages, do not need Arc-Fault protection

Ken,
    You might add that AFCI not required for dedicated circuit to appliance, if you have a ceiling fan in bedroom an AFCI will probably trip due to motor. The work around to the problem of new requirement, as I have understood.

Though it would require a specific direction in wiring diagram and the electrician to take notice of it when they pull the wiring. Most are still running a ceiling box the way they use to for a light fixture. Unless it is caught early and corrected the home owner is up the creak when they want to put in a ceiling fan with a AFCI on that line.

Ceiling Fans cause problems with AFCI's - Buy a new Fan
    -If your putting a ceiling fan in one of those areas / rooms listed in the NEC, ceiling fans must be on the AFCI circuit. There is no way to run the circuit to get around the afci protection requirement, for ceiling fans.

As far as dedicated circuits for appliances not requiring AFCI prtotection, It will depend on the location of said appliance.
    Put a microwave circuit at the bar in the family room - Guess what? AFCI required.
    An air conditioner is considered to be an appliance according to the definition of appliance in the NEC. Install a dedicated 120 volt line for a window air conditioner - AFCI required.

So Like it was stated prior:
    The requirement for AFCI protection is based on the location of the circuit - NOT the load / usage of the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Ken,
    You might add that AFCI not required for dedicated circuit to appliance, if you have a ceiling fan in bedroom an AFCI will probably trip due to motor. The work around to the problem of new requirement, as I have understood.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Ceiling Fans cause problems with AFCI's - Buy a new Fan
    -If your putting a ceiling fan in one of those areas / rooms listed in the NEC, ceiling fans must be on the AFCI circuit. There is no way to run the circuit to get around the afci protection requirement, for ceiling fans.
    The above needed repeating.

AFCI protection is LOCATION dependent, not what is on the circuit.

As far as dedicated circuits for appliances not requiring AFCI prtotection, It will depend on the location of said appliance.
    Put a microwave circuit at the bar in the family room - Guess what? AFCI required.
    An air conditioner is considered to be an appliance according to the definition of appliance in the NEC. Install a dedicated 120 volt line for a window air conditioner - AFCI required.

So Like it was stated prior:
    The requirement for AFCI protection is based on the location of the circuit - NOT the load / usage of the circuit.
    It's all about "location, location, location", and nothing to do with what is connected in that location.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Although Virginia hasn't officially adopted the 2009 IRC yet, it should be in effect for new construction permitted in or after April 2011. I got the scoop from a code council person that Virginia had waved the new AFCI provisions leaving the only the original bedroom protection.

OFF TOPIC:
    FLASH, Fresh from the rumor mill --- Beware the 2012 IBC/IRC. Just prior to the October special council session in Charlotte NC, the section on energy provisions was reported to be as thick or thicker than the rest of the code sections combined. From what I have heard, Energy Audits may become mandatory on new construction. It's a matter of the DOE pressuring the states to do something about energy conservation themselves or live with what the DOE requires. You might want to seriously consider what it would take for training, equipment, and certification. Hopefully, I'll be retired by that time (HA!).

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ben J.
    Thanks.
    After posting I thought over my conversation with Master Elect.
    Did have things mixed up as to location and use criteria.
    The conversation was on quite a few items. Ceiling fans and AFCI only being part of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by alltruetech View Post
    Oklahoma City Electrical Contractors was the one which is qualified persons who made the electricity works inside the every parts of the house works and they are the one who has the right skilled for those types of work for the inspections of the houses.

Mrtruetech. I know my grammer needs some fine tuning, yours needs some major work

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by alltruetech View Post
    ... was the one which is qualified persons who made the electricity works inside the every parts of the house works and they are the one who has the right skilled for those types of work for the inspections of the houses.
    Hate to bust your bubble and allow your ego to drip all over, but ...

If your skills at electrical work are twice as good as your skills with the language - I would NOT want you to even change a light bulb.

Your post makes me think that you think that 'only you' are qualified to do home inspections relating to electrical, yet your work is likely some of the very work home inspectors in your area have to write up as poor work and in need of correction.

Clean up on aisle 3, fluid and ego all over the floor!

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That looks like it came from bad translation software.

Where is the original post? Not sure I see what all the replies are in response to, but would otherwise like to help.

- electrician in st catharines

Maryland, DC, and Northern Virginia, electrical only

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Electric View Post
    Where is the original post? Not sure I see what all the replies are in response to, but would otherwise like to help.

- electrician in st catharines
    He was asking whether equipment on dedicated circuits was exempt from the AFCI requirement. I guess he wasn't aware that conceptually the AFCI requirement is based on the risk to occupants in the event of an electric fire starting in the areas covered by 210.12. the problem with this is naturally that 210.12 only lists the areas the outlets are located, and can't really include the areas that the wiring passes through en route.