Thread: Fenix TK-45

Default Fenix TK-45

I've been using this light for the last week, and I've just gotta' say: truly astounding tool... Fenix TK45 Flashlight

Member Benefits1
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Fenix TK-45

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    I've been using this light for the last week, and I've just gotta' say: truly astounding tool... Fenix TK45 Flashlight
    Where have ya been! This is a good thread on the Fenix flashlights over on TIJ. Most seem to be getting the TK-11
    Fenix Flashlights The Inspector's Journal Forums

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Gary Cox Guest

Talking Re: Fenix TK-45

Hi Michael,

Pretty scary lookin light. I own the TK-40 Fenix. Basically same light...I think mine is 600 Lumens +/-.
    We had 20 " of snow last winter here and I used it to guide the snow plow trucks up our street. When they got to me they guy opens his window and says "Where "In" hell did you get that light?"
    These lights are extreme for sure.

On the down side...for an inspection I don't carry it like I thought I would.
    Found it to be too heavy when batteries are installed...and I could not control my temptation to fire up to MAX brightness everywhere in the house...killing a lot of batteries.
    ...and boy do those batteries drain fast. I found I was throwing out a big pile of batteries from my vehicle at the end of the week. It is a steady drain...and fast.
    If I could control my brightness temptation and just keep the dang thing set on a lower setting I'd be OK... but I could not stop trying to impress myself and my clients with my "sun torch!" LOL!
    I now keep the light in my vehicle for special needs like a crawl from h-ll...but my SUREFIRE is enough.
    I don't keep batteries in it...and never seem to need it. Just sits there to impress people. LOL!

My everyday carry is a small Surefire L2-Lumamax (LED 200 Lumens). SO impressed with it...I bought a second and have not opened it. I keep it in my glove compartment. This is as bright a light as anyone should really need "in my opinion." It is so bright... I've often wonder about Lumen claims of other lights I've owned. I use 2 SUREFIRE 123 batteries...and they last and last even with the full 200 LUMEN setting. It only has two settings. This keeps me from scaring pets in the house with strobe settings. LOL!
    I get through the week on one set usually. I've stopped buying boatloads of batteries for the TK.

I used to carry 2 Fenix PD 30 models. The top of the line versions. I purchased three at once through Amazon. In less than a year using them, all three are defective. I'd given one out as a gift to a maintenance manager of Wegmans. He called one day to ask if I had probelms with mine. Yep. all three lights same defect. After a while... a sudden loss of all mode changes...sticking in the low mode light setting. I contacted the shipping company who refused to fix them...because I'd ordered them through Amazon and not directly through a distributer. Reading the small print...there it was... Amazon ain't no store.

Appears I'm a lone wolf out here. I'd never heard of any problems with Fenix lights...but three lights...two users...I'd say look out folks. Pretty up front, all sounds great in the advertisements..but I've taken them into battle and they fail.

...Not to sell SUREFIRE lights here...I'm still tempted to buy that Chinese OLIGHT 500 Lumen pocket sized light out there (Man o Man) .....but Service???
    My surefire had a defect. I noticed it would not manually hold in bright setting. I emailed Surefire. Within an hour ...I'm talkin 9PM!... I got an email from a guy named Chris. "Sounds like the tailpiece is bad, I'll ship one out to you in the am."
    I was shocked. No testing me, asking me where I purchased it (a cop supply shop in town), no proof of purchase, warranty dates...nothing! I got a little box in the mail...new tailpiece went on and there she glows!

Last edited by Gary Cox; 11-08-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Did not pay attention in high school english

It *is* a bit on the heavy side - but no worse than a 2/3 D cell Maglight.

I seem to be able to keep my finger off the "mode" switch.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I have been using this knock-off light Ultrafire WF-501B, So far, so good. Have rechargeable batteries.

I have have a streamlight, stinger also. But I must say the cheapy is holding its weight. I use all the time and have had no problems. Ordered another one because it works so well and is small (tactical light). They claim 900 lumens. Don't know if that is true but it is bright. At the price for the thing $20 they can be disposable. Ordered it through dealextreme.

Here is the order info-
    UltraFire WF-501B SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Strap (1*18650/1*17670)

There are lots of good lights out there but the way I abuse stuff cheap is good!

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

I find the super bright led lights great in crawl spaces and attics but they really wash out ceiling stains, cracks, etc. I use my streamlight stingers for all of the interior work.

The TK11 with rechargeable 3.7 lithium ion is plenty for me. I've dropped it pretty hard a few times too and it doesn't even flinch. I slammed it into the concrete one time in an attempt to catch it as it was falling. Still working fine but with a few marrs in the case. Battle scars you know....

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure you've all seen this one. I'd be afraid of burning myself or the house down.

The Torch Flashlight - World's Brightest Flashlight from Wicked Lasers

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

You're kidding, right??! Did you scroll down and notice the run time? Take a look, it says 5 MINUTES. An inspector will be able to see very well, when he's not running to his truck and waiting for a recharge...

Gary Cox: What about using rechargeable NiMH batteries? The total voltage is less than alkaline but I wonder how much that would affect the output? I was looking at the TK40 and 45 but thinking about 8 cells per light plus storing extras in the truck during cold weather, Hmm. I had my FJ Cruiser wired to provide 12V to the dash plug full time just so I could keep UltraStingers charged and ready to go.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Steve D'Gerolamo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cox View Post
    Hi Michael,

...Not to sell SUREFIRE lights here...I'm still tempted to buy that Chinese OLIGHT 500 Lumen pocket sized light out there (Man o Man) .....but Service???
    I looked at Surefire, Fenix and Olight to add to my store and ended up with Olight because of the huge range....115 lumen pocket lights to the large SR90 2200 lumen Search & Rescue flashlight. All 3 are good companies but the key is check out the dealer and the warranty before buying. I offer a 10yr US warranty on the Olight T-series (115-320 lumens...their new Cree S2 LED lights are currently available and the Tactical (M-series...M20/M21/M30/M31) and Search and Rescue (SR50/SR90/SR91) lights have a 5yr warranty.

The manufacturing is in China but the LED's are Cree (Durham, NC) and Luminus (Billerica, MA). The guy who helped build the company runs Olight USA just outside of Raleigh, NC....young guy who in our last conversation tells me I'm a year older than his Dad. I suspect he'll be around a lot longer than I will.

I've got a few painters who use the T10/T15 (single batter) and T20/T25 (two battery) models to look for nail pops during prep and I wonder if you could use a blue filter on the light to look for stains on drywall (there are white diffusers and color filters to mount on an of the Olight, Fenix or
    Surefire flashlights). LED's have come a long way as has the battery technology. The weak link on a lot of cheaper flashlights on the market is the switching and circuit board.

If there are any inspectors in the NY city area or Charlotte area who want to personally evaluate any of the Olight line, drop me a line. I think that's a lot safer than buying these based on forum discussions and beamshot photos. Steve D

Last edited by Steve D'Gerolamo; 12-10-2010 at 08:02 AM.