Norman Root Guest

Default Marketing at Bridal Shows

Was wondering if any of you had success marketing at bridal shows . One of the shows i the Detroit area is wanting 900.00+ for a table at the spring show and am wondering if the marketing expense might be worth it.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Marketing at Bridal Shows

For an HI, I doubt it's worth even $9.00 let alone $900.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

What Dom said. Unless you're selling flowers, bridesmaid dresses, or table favors, I don't think you'll get much business from a bridal show. It's a completely different mindset.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

You'd make more money there selling rubber toys or even selling chocolate.

I see where you'd think that a young couple would start looking for a home after the wedding and might use your services. I just don't think a wedding show is going to get their attention.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

I see where you'd think that a young couple would start looking for a home after the wedding and might use your services. I just don't think a wedding show is going to get their attention.

rick
    Rubber toys...Now that is funny.

Gary Cox Guest

Wink Re: Marketing at Bridal Shows

Hi Norman,

I owned a deejay company for 14 years. We did the bridal show thing two times in 14 years. What a waste of time. I would not consider this for a place to get your name out. Great if you are a caterer or bake cakes.

My guess is your cards will hit the trash cans... Brides are not thinking past the wedding day at these shows. The honeymoon is not even on their mind that day. It is all about shopping for a caterer, cake and music.
    The main draw is for a caterer & a cake. These are also typically the people who set up the show...and you will find that they always get the prime location spot inside the hotel where lights are bright, the room is cozy and warm....and then there you are... 45 degrees outside by the pool! They stake their territory at these shows and my guess is...they will not consider your table placement to be a real important sell.

Brides are there to plan the dream day...not to be educated on sump pumps.
    LOL!

Last edited by Gary Cox; 11-06-2010 at 05:17 AM. Reason: sloppy writing

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Root View Post
    Was wondering if any of you had success marketing at bridal shows . One of the shows i the Detroit area is wanting 900.00+ for a table at the spring show and am wondering if the marketing expense might be worth it.
    Hi Norman, if you are wanting to market yourself and company I would invest the $900 into a good website. For that amount of money you could get a domain name and a good site off the ground. A good website works 24/7 to get your name out in front of the public. I'm assuming you do not have a site as I could not find one with your name and location.

It has been my experience that just about all consumer trade shows are a waste of time and money. Most attend them to get the "Freebies" and give-a-ways and really very few of the attendees are serious shoppers. This would go for bridal, garden, home improvement shows and the like.

If you do a consumer trade show ; keep in mind that you will need to spend more than the table or booth fee to get your name out. You will need to have give-a-ways, chotchkies and whatever else you have in marketing material.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Marketing to potential clients is difficutl and expensive. The best source of Home Inspections come from Realtors.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCaffery View Post
    Marketing to potential clients is difficutl and expensive. The best source of Home Inspections come from Realtors.
    Which is the sole reason that Realtors should have a written law that they cannot even pass a list of home inspectors or even a particular association.

Buyers are relatively intelligent folks and many of them a whole lot smarter than the average home inspector. A truly unbiased non influenced in any way shape or for decision of what home inspector to pick would be found by themselves and not have anything what so ever to do with a Realtor. You know, I know and everyone on the planet knows that a Realtor is going to pick the easiest to get along with non alarmist Inspector they could possibly find or if they must give a list then all will be such. Just because one writes everything up and puts some knowledgeable info and experience behind their report does not make them an alarmist but that is what Realtors believe.

I get a lot of referrals from Realtors but do not live by their referrals. The only ones that refer me are the Realtors that know that it will be a little tougher in the negotiations after the inspection but want the benefit to the clients of my years of experience in the inspectio and construction field. They do not want one liners. They want pictures of every single concern with something behind it as to why it became a concern and what the client can do to prevent it in the future.

That is what a home inspection is....Not....."there are three step cracks on the left side of the home but really do not amount to anything and are really not a major concern at this time." (what the hell is that all about) They want to know what is behind it and what steps can be taken for follow up and future steps to keep this concern from re-occurring.

Even though I depend on it for a reasonable portion of my income it should be a country wide law that Realtors must give a letter that a home inspection is in the clients best interest (which it is) to have a home inspection and stop right there. No referrals at all to any inspector or association. Turn the buyers to the street and find their own.

That is the absolute only way to end the control Realtors have in the Home Inspection Industry. It is the most unethical practice in the selling of homes.

Yeah, yeah, I did an inspection today from a referral from a Realtor....about the umpteenth one but they shp0uld still be banned from referring Inspectors.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Ted,
    Let me assure you that I am not influenced by Realtors. I do a thorough job for the client and the following or Realtors that I have, select me for that reason. I report on the condition of the componet or system that I am inspecting, I explain the impact to the client and give them a recommendation. I also obtain referrals from the networking that I do.
    I find that most clients looking for inspectors on their own are shopping for price and usually will choose the least expensive inspector. I cannot say that I am the most prosperous inspector, but if I had a whole lot of referrals from Realtors and the biggest Realtors I would certainly being doing a whole lot better.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCaffery View Post
    Ted,
    Let me assure you that I am not influenced by Realtors. I do a thorough job for the client and the following or Realtors that I have, select me for that reason. I report on the condition of the componet or system that I am inspecting, I explain the impact to the client and give them a recommendation. I also obtain referrals from the networking that I do.
    I find that most clients looking for inspectors on their own are shopping for price and usually will choose the least expensive inspector. I cannot say that I am the most prosperous inspector, but if I had a whole lot of referrals from Realtors and the biggest Realtors I would certainly being doing a whole lot better.
    Just been doing a lot of serious digging lately and of course my lifes experience.

We all talk of ethics and how grandiose they are. The looking out for our client and you know the whole story.

No saying you or everyone out there is sucking up to rRealtors but I will say for a given fact that all I have checked out over time that get most if not all work from Realtors tend to and are for the most part a bit softer/ stick to just the concern, don't interject further on the concerns etc etc etc.

I have personally checked out a vast amount of inspectors thru conversations with Realtors with their likes and dislikes, the input they put forth, other inspector reports that those particular Realtors use. I have also talked to clients and other inspector and have picked their brains as to what the inspector says and what he wrote of a particular concern and you may guess what the findings are.

I am not saying they leave items out but just simply "

There is a leak under the kitchen sink

There are a couple mortar cracks on the left side of the home

A 28 year old gas fired HVAC system that is falling apart , coil fins cut out and obvious repair to the coil with the rest of the AC condenser looking as though it was going to disintegrate any second but "The unit appears to be performing well at this time." Well, it might be working but what about the obvious and the near future expense for replacement and etc etc etc with the inside unit looking as though it got run over and is all taped up but still breathing....but is appears to be working well at this time" or some foolish statement.

Those are just examples of the countless reports I have seen as of late and all from pretty busy inspectors that have a serious Realtor following.

Please Patrick. I am not pointing directly to you or any particular individual.

I feel that as a and experience should be in the report as well. No one liners and leave it at that. A little depth on every subject. You don't have to scare folks with it but for gosh sakes inspectors need to be a little more the a button puncher on a hand held and then throw a couple picture in.

Norman Root Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Hi Norman, if you are wanting to market yourself and company I would invest the $900 into a good website. For that amount of money you could get a domain name and a good site off the ground. A good website works 24/7 to get your name out in front of the public. I'm assuming you do not have a site as I could not find one with your name and location.

It has been my experience that just about all consumer trade shows are a waste of time and money. Most attend them to get the "Freebies" and give-a-ways and really very few of the attendees are serious shoppers. This would go for bridal, garden, home improvement shows and the like.

If you do a consumer trade show ; keep in mind that you will need to spend more than the table or booth fee to get your name out. You will need to have give-a-ways, chotchkies and whatever else you have in marketing material.

Scott: Thanks for advise. My site isn't live as I am doing due diligence currently and was relying on the groups experience.. It was just an idea and I thought I'd ask. I am looking at many web sites to get an idea as to what catches my eye in design and will try to incorporate similar ideas. I enjoy yor comments in the forum as I am sure many others do also. Thanks

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Hi Ted,
    I agree with you 100 %.

William Brady Guest

Just had to get this in. Years ago I owned a Tuxedo Business in MA. You would think that a bridal show was good marketing money spent. Wrong. All I ever got in business from a bridal show was the WHOLE IN THE DONUT. They are tempting to try out and maybe someone has called you to say you will be the only one showing in the HI business. Folks looking around at the shows are kids and the bride is leading the groom around and they are looking for invites and maybe flowers. Just my experience.

Ted Williams Guest

Well, the weather is starting to go a bit south now but I always recommend golf for marketing. A few tips for how.

1. Nice clothes with your company's name on golf shirt
    2. BC's in bag
    3. Play Muni's and Public courses when twilight rates start (cheaper)
    4. Go by yourself, or maybe one friend that isn't a dick
    5. Play courses where there are more walkers than riders (more time to talk)
    6. Don't be a club throwing dick, everyone sucks at golf
    7. Don't be a salesman. Work will come up (shirt, remember?)
    8. Don't offer BC unless asked
    9. Beer when done, not when playing
    10. Know golf's rules and etiquette

You know, I also work as a freelance writer and think I just started my next article.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

rick
    What kind of rubber toys?