Default Seperation wall between two townhouses

I thought this was interesting. In the pic I am looking down the seperation wall between the two units.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Marc M; 11-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Seperation wall between two townhouses

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I thought this was interesting. In the pic I am looking down the seperation wall between the two units. Thats the other units DWV.
    (As you likely already know) not allowed:

Residential Building Codes ... - Google Books

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

It's amazing some of the stuff we see.

Evan Grugett Guest

I'm curious, how did you write this up in your report?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    (As you likely already know) not allowed:

Residential Building Codes ... - Google Books

The statement "not allowed" above is not always as true as you might think. This is a very common building technique if this unit is constructed in a county jurisdiction, were there is no minimum building standards. It's all about the bottom line, my friend. I see this issue daily. I've been reamed by a Builders and Realtor several times for calling it

Default Re: Separation wall between two townhouses

Quote Originally Posted by Bob R View Post
    The statement "not allowed" above is not always as true as you might think. This is a very common building technique if this unit is constructed in a county jurisdiction, were there is no minimum building standards. It's all about the bottom line, my friend. I see this issue daily. I've been reamed by a Builders and Realtor several times for calling it
    Building that way is not allowed by code, and if no code is enforced, then you should call it out, let your client know, if the real estate agent opens their mouth to say something, help they shove their foot into it ... tell your client right then and right there that YOU are telling THEM that building that way is NOT ALLOWED by the codes because building that way CAN LEAD TO THEIR DEATH, and that you do not want (one of my favorite sayings) "their surviving spouse to call" and ask why you did not advise them of this. You can even add some salt and pepper and other spices to the agent's foot to make it taste better by adding ... and (turn to the agent) I doubt you want the surviving spouse to call you either, do you? (They will not have an answer to that, kind of like asking if they have quit cheating on their spouse ... they lose with either a 'yes' or a 'no'.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,I love your reply,this issue has come up several times in my area,the client will be happy you advised them if there ever was a fire
    We work for the client,not the agent
    Harry