Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Default Stand pipes in leach field

Why are these PVC standpipes scattered around this leach field.

My assistant in photo #3 had no clue either.

Agent reported that the septic guy said "something" about homeowner inspection of the leach field using these pipes?????

What are they for?

Thank You

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Stand pipes in leach field

My first guess would be that this is a low pressure system with a pump and these pipes allow you to monitor the flow to each lateral.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

They're inspection/squirt ports for inspection, maintenance and periodic squirt testing. The caps can be removed to view, etc. or replaced with caps with smaller orafices/ports for a squirt test.

You can read more about it here: Septic System Design

You are welcome to d/l the article about inspection/squirt ports from here (big file): http://www.eco-nomic.com/pix/Improve...Mag%202009.pdf

The irregularity in the heights, and the irregular finished grade itself (and the ruts!) leads me to suspect that the grade work was not completed to plan, and things aren't quite "finished" or filled properly for correct treatment, OR something may have been damaged. The swampish dark/dead zone appearance also concerning. (Bleach kill for a clean well test?)

I would recommend strongly acquiring the plan work and having the system evaluated by a pro - including proper depths and/or signs of heaving, shifting or breakage, or a collapse, possibly from someone driving on the area; d-boxes, laterals, or vaults, etc, and a fresh squirt test.

HTH.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Cartwright View Post
    Why are these PVC standpipes scattered around this leach field.

My assistant in photo #3 had no clue either.

Agent reported that the septic guy said "something" about homeowner inspection of the leach field using these pipes?????

What are they for?

Thank You
    Not a leach field. That is where they keep the hostages. Every now and then they drop some food and water down and blow some fresh air in.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No, not air vents for a bomb shelter, or a living hostage vault either - no open ports, the pipes are capped, Ted!

Interesting article. I saw a few of those when I was in Colorado, and asked a few supposedly good septic guys and all they could come up with was inspection ports, nothing more when I pressed for details. Obviously they didnt know how to test them either. Is this a primarily Western US thing?

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

James Duffin Guest

If the pipes are indeed the ends of laterals in a LLP system, they are quite common in NC where the land does not perk for a conventional system.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No, not air vents for a bomb shelter, or a living hostage vault either - no open ports, the pipes are capped, Ted!
    I not only knew what they were but just took a refresher course on septic design the last week of October.

I was just being the typical fool I tend to be from time to time

HG is right, they need to work on that one. The green caps are the way to go here. This one has some lawn gnomes added.

Sometimes, in a pressurized field such as the one in my pic, there will be valves under some of those lids so that branches of the field can be turned off.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by John Kogel; 11-07-2010 at 09:23 PM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca