Default Buyer: Read the report.

Does anyone put a statement in their report advising the buyer "To make sure they read the full report" Just got e mail from buyer asking me if I found any mold in her new home as she is having allergic reaction. This was not a mold inspection. I did at time of inspection and in my written report with photos make her aware that home had very bad drainage (standing rain water), clogged rain gutters and roof problems. I'm surprised that this lady even went though with the purchase, but she did.
    So, appreciate sharing what if anything you guys add to beginning of your reports.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Default Re: Buyer: Read the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Melbourne View Post
    Does anyone put a statement in their report advising the buyer "To make sure they read the full report"
    Just got e mail from buyer asking me if I found any mold in her new home as she is having allergic reaction..
    A Written Statement asking to Read The Report ?
    * Maybe a Picture Would Help Such Folk.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If the're not reading the report they likely aren't reading the contract either.

My Ex Summ states that it is there just as an overview of the inspection blah, blah, that they should read the entire report to get a full understanding of conditions in the home.
    I lost track a long time ago of how many clients have called me with questions that make it obvious they didn't read the report.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I have a mold disclaimer in my inspection agreement.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Joseph, here is what the NC licensure board mandates we have on the summary page. I'm sure they would not mind if you used it.

"This summary is not the entire report. The full report may include additional information of interest or concern to the client. It is strongly recommended that the client promptly read the complete report. For information regarding the negotiability of any item in this report under a real estate purchase contract, contact your North Carolina real estate agent or attorney."

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

william siegel Guest

You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

It always amazes me that people will pay good money for a report and then not read it. Then they want to come back and sue you because you didnt tell them every little detain in the report.

"The full report may include additional information of interest or concern to the client. "
    Vern, that is not very strongly worded!
    I recommend adding something like:
    This is not intended as nor should be used as a substitute for the complete report.

Gary Winfield Guest

The following is at the top of every inspection report.

Please take the time to analyze the following pages contained herein. This is your complete inspection report and must be reviewed carefully.

Buyers do not read the entire report...ever.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Stephen Houmard Guest

I read the agreement to the client, then it is posted throught out the report. PLEASE READ FULL REPORT. I have 2 complaints this year from people who didn't read or attened the inspection.
    "Why is my roof leaking?"....
    the roof is misssing shingles and is very old
    " Who is going to pay for it"
    Why would you pay for an inspection then not bother to read it?
    Drives me nuts, but it is a small number of people who I work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    "The full report may include additional information of interest or concern to the client. "
    Vern, that is not very strongly worded!
    I recommend adding something like:
    This is not intended as nor should be used as a substitute for the complete report.
    Ben, the statement was written by NCHILB and they want it on the summary page word for word.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    This is why I put lots of pictures in the report

I never use a summary.

I try to have them at the inspection for show-n-tell, and show them the issues first hand.

I try to keep the mindless boiler plate to CYA to a minimum.

So far it works for me unless someone wants to use me as their ATM to cover for their mistakes. Then the inspection agreement, photos, etc. are read back to them since they obviously can't read for themselves

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This (along with some other "statements") goes into the last sections of every report:

'Your questions; Ask all the questions you want or need to and I'll do my best to answer them. All I ask of you is that you read the entire report.'

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Terry Griffin Guest

Smile Re: Buyer: Read the report.

Most definitely. In the pre inspection agreement and also in the report limitations and in the summary page if I do one for the realtor. I have had occasions where neither the buyer or RE read the full report and then as much as a year later had issues with the property that had they read the report would have known the condition existed. You can't tell them enough.

It's always bugged me that it is obvious that the clients often do not read the report. This is evidenced by the questions I get back now and then.

When I do get a question, my first reply is "Did you read the entire report?" "The answer to your question is covered in the ------ section. A common reply is that "My agent went over it with me / read parts of it to me / summarized it for me" etc. Obviously, not very well or you would not have these questions! IT'S IN THE REPORT!

My reply to agents requesting a summary (not required here) is "If I provided a summary, would you bother to actually read the report?" The answer is usually "Well, no, I'm too busy to read all that". This statement is usually delivered with a sheepish grin. The know that they were just "busted" for not doing their job properly. I never quite understood the rush to get through this stage when the whole process has likely taken many months just to get this far.

I have a good relationship with the agents I work with and these little digs are delivered with a grin. I'm very thorough in the after-inspection verbal debrief since I do not deliver the written report on-site. I often sit down with them and pull up my pictures on the computer screen to illustrate a point. The clients pretty much know the true condition when they leave.

I think we do not push the "professional" aspect enough and are not seen as an important part of this transaction. Many times, getting the inspection is a requirement or a formality to just "git er done" so we can move on. I try to establish my credentials and the importance of this process right up front so there is no question of how important this step is. Many times the entire deal can stand or fall, based on the results of what we do.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Ted Williams Guest

My report has a box on the Summary Page that states; "Items listed in this report may inadvertently have been left off the Summary Sheet. Customers should read the entire report, including the Remarks"

Also, it's a good idea to add something like; "I inspect a lot of houses and have found that each of my clients have a different idea of what is most important to them. I strongly suggest that you read the entire report tonight (specific time frame) so you have a complete understanding of the current condition (CYA) of the house. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have after you've read and gone over it (don't say while you read it, for obvious reasons). It was wonderful meeting you and have a great day."

Or some crap like that. (Yes, I am certified in Clinical Hypnotherapy and Neuro-Linguistic Programming from a previous work life)

As others have said, some still won't read it, but a post-close statement is crucial in all forms of sales. Just create an effective one that works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Agree 100%..... I'd guess there's a pretty large % that don't even read any of it... they just rely on the things we talk about at the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Agree 100%..... I'd guess there's a pretty large % that don't even read any of it... they just rely on the things we talk about at the inspection.
    Right. Alot don't even bother reading the summary. Maybe the summary should just say:

SUMMARY: READ THE REPORT

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    This is why I put lots of pictures in the report

I never use a summary.

I try to have them at the inspection for show-n-tell, and show them the issues first hand.

I try to keep the mindless boiler plate to CYA to a minimum.

So far it works for me unless someone wants to use me as their ATM to cover for their mistakes. Then the inspection agreement, photos, etc. are read back to them since they obviously can't read for themselves
    I guess I could have picked any of the posts to this thread but this one will do.

Not one, not some, not many but almost every single client has a comment about how thorough the inspection report is with comments and pictures for every concern in the home.

You make the report interesting. Put lots of pretty pictures in it. Don't add a summary and every one of you (all inspectors) will also get the same comments about the report.

Realtors don't like it because there is actually an explanation to the concern with pictures describing the concern. They cannot just brush the concern away. It is in front of them and they have to address it. As far as adding a summary? I only add summaries to some Realtors I deal with all the time. But the client does not get a summary. They must read the report and look at the pretty pictures. It is what they are paying me for, knowledge in the field of construction and decades of inspection experience.

Why would any client actually read the report where there is a lot of pertinent information if you give them a summary.

In case no one realizes this, the summary to the client is of no importance other than "there is a crack in the brick under the left front window" Telling them in the summary that there is a crack under the left front window does not give them the rest of the story of the house about to fall into the cracks in the heavy clay soil at the exterior and under the home Way to easy for a Realtor to brush off as of no importance.

I repeat. The Summary is only for the Realtor. Try passing it on to your client with no summary. A whole other story comes out. They actually read the report. They actually look at the pretty pictures of the home with the ten different pictures of cracks in the exterior brick emphasizing that there should be a follow up with, at the least, a foundation company if not an engineer.

I tell them that I do not add all pictures as I take a multitude of pictures but only put a few (a but load) into the report. I get calls all the time for some of the simple things that I may have caught in a picture. They know I took pics of about everything I look at concern or not. I sent off a pic the other day of an antique hutch/cabinet (beautiful piece). The only reason I took it was that there was a switch on each side of it and the entire huge piece sat in a pocket in the wall and the light above was not working. The bulb was out. They wanted to buy the piece form the sellers but wanted a good picture of it to think of it. They asked if I had one and I sent it off.

They all read the report on my end. There must be something going on out there why the clients are not reading other inspection reports.

It is what they are paying you for........The end result....the Inspection Report

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 11-08-2010 at 07:23 PM.

I email all my reports. Here's the text I put in the email;

Mr. home buyer

The report is attached. Please take time to read the entire report.

Pictures are inserted in the report and you can use your zoom tool on the PDF toolbar to enlarge the pictures if you want.

Some things have pictures to help illustrate and others may not, so please read everything. Also, I state clearly in the Preface on the 2nd page that all concerns should be fixed by licensed and qualified contractors.

Thanks for hiring me. It was a pleasure working for you. If you have any questions or if you need further clarification, please contact me.

Here is my preface which is in every report;

Preface/Exclusions

**ATTENTION**
    Read this preface before proceeding to the report
    I inspected this house and wrote this report in accordance with the "Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics" of The State of Maryland.

Exclusions apply to this home inspection. They’re explained in the inspection agreement that you signed on the day of the inspection and in the Maryland State Mandated Statements that I gave you at that time. By using this report you agree to the terms in those documents.

Here’s how the report is organized:

In each category, I will list information as required by the Standards of Practices (SOP) of the State of Maryland and the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) as well as other information that I believe is important. I’ll include pictures to help illustrate problems. Not every problem that I identify and describe will have a picture with it, so please read everything.

Material descriptions are of visible portions only. It’s possible that some materials are hidden from view and therefore, they cannot be identified within the scope of this inspection.

To help you reference issues, a numbered list of concerns continues throughout the report. The concerns will identify problems and describe why they’re important. For every concern listed in this report, I recommend you hire licensed, qualified and competent contractors to fix the problems. Recommendations I make to "repair" or "replace" or "fix" means you should consult with a professional in the appropriate field to determine all needed repairs and best repair method, to estimate costs and to perform any repairs deemed necessary.

There may be information comments made in the report. These comments may not be intended to identify problems, but instead to share important information.

If certain items are not listed in this report, it means they’re either not required by SOP, and/or, there were no problems noted regarding such items.

The scope of this inspection does not include cosmetic defects.

This report and the photographs within it are the copyrighted material and intellectual property of Arundel Home Inspection LLC. No one other than the client named in this report is authorized to use this material for any purpose, and absolutely no one is authorized to resell or otherwise trade on this material under any circumstances.

If you have questions after reading the report, please call or e-mail me. I look forward to answering your questions.

410-733-3238

arundelhomeinspection@comcast.net

What makes you think they will read your email?

I have to admit that I don't read every word of those lengthly documents that get shoved under your nose for a signature. I was at the bank the other day doing some stuff for my business account, and I had to fill out some more papers. I just signed them.

On topic..... in my contract I have a blurb about them reading the entire report. ON the cover sheet to my overview section, it tells them to read the entire report. On the front page of the full report there is yet another part where it tells them to read the entire report, and call or e-mail me with any questions they may have.

Since I have a large number of phd's and engineers for clients, I do get the occasional client that reads every friggin line. I know that because they call me at 8pm and want to go over the report - line by line.
    I was once deposed by an attorney that wanted to discuss my report line by line, every stinking item. OK by me, he was paying the bill.

Writing instructions to the client advising them to read the report is kind of like advertising reading classes for the illiterate in the newspaper...

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

What makes you think they will read your email?
    Whether they read it or not is not my decision so I don't waste time thinking about that.

I'm responsible for providing information, so that's what I do.

I find most often the ones who glaze over and don't actually read are agents. I've had to correct them on several occasions. I've never had to correct a conveyance misunderstood by a client. I practically beg clients to contact me if they need further clarification and they never do.

I accidentally emailed an inspection agreement to the wrong client yesterday. They signed it and returned it with a credit card#

I accidentally emailed an inspection agreement to the wrong client yesterday. They signed it and returned it with a credit card#
    I think you're onto something there. I'll be watching for spam from you in the near future.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

I did that last week. No, not the credit card part but the wrong inspection report. It took the folks an entire day to get back to me just before my normal follow up call. They said that some of the things did not match up to the home and they did not remember seeing or talking to me about this and that.

It was actually pretty funny hearing them explain and I let them go on a bit before telling them it was the wrong report.