Greg Brown Guest

Default Outdoor sink draining into building plumbing vent

Hi-

I'm currently having a roof deck installed in a multi-unit building. The deck is going to have an outdoor kitchen that includes a sink. The plumber did his work today and I see he connected the sink drain to drop into one of the building's plumbing vents.

The building vents don't have a cap or anything on them, so rain flows freely into them as it is. I assume that the vent ultimately leads to existing drainage but I'm not sure of the ramifications to such configuration.

Please advise!

Much thanks
    Greg

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Joshua Hardesty Guest

Default Re: Outdoor sink draining into building plumbing vent

The vents have to be uncapped to allow air into the system so the water drains properly. Think of sticking your finger over a straw in your cup, you can lift the straw (and drink) out of the cup and the water can't drain out.

As for your situation, that *SHOULD* be okay, as far as functionality goes. Whether or not it violates a code I can't say without seeing all the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brown View Post
    Hi-

I'm currently having a roof deck installed in a multi-unit building. The deck is going to have an outdoor kitchen that includes a sink. The plumber did his work today and I see he connected the sink drain to drop into one of the building's plumbing vents.

The building vents don't have a cap or anything on them, so rain flows freely into them as it is. I assume that the vent ultimately leads to existing drainage but I'm not sure of the ramifications to such configuration.

Please advise!

Much thanks
    Greg
    Page 4. Section 6 point C. Wet Venting is Not Allowed.
    http://www.tinleypark.org/documents/...erandWater.pdf

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Phil Brody Guest

I wonder why they don't allow wet venting in that application as long as it is plumbed correctly ?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

OP, your Chicago CITY inspector can address your concerns when he comes to INSPECT your PERMITTED new fixture installation and plumbing modification work (no permit? no Chicago Plumbing License, no Chicago Plumbing Contractor's License, BIG TROUBLE!). Call 311, that's your advice.

What Tinley Park's (a suburb of Chicago in Cook County) modifications to Illinois Plumbing Code are or are not; has nothing to do Chicago's Plumbing Code or Building Codes.Main Stack/Vent.

You're assuming a lot from a poster who is expressing concern over a plumbing vent not having a cap (or hat)!

Note, OP's "location": Chicago; nothing from the OP references Tinley Park, Tinley Park references, especially anything regarding wet venting, would be irrelevant.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-12-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Mr Watson is correct Tinley Park code has nothing to do with Chicago Plumbing code. The Illinois Plumbing Code does allow wet venting as long as certain conditions are met. The Illinois Plumbing code is the bare minimum the plumbing systems can be installed; each county, township and city can make the code stricter than the states code but nothing less.

Now you all jumped on wet venting. How do you know its wet vented The OP just said the plumber tied into a vent. He did not state how or what else it plumbed into this plumbing system. For this sink to be wet vented another plumbing fixture must be tied into this vent pipe above the outdoor sink. Now if there is a plumbing fixture below the sink he would might have caused the fixture below the outdoor sink to be wet vented.

Now Chicago Plumbing Code does allow wet venting as well, again it must meet the restrictions within the code.

As Mr. Watson pointed out call the city's plumbing department and have him inspect the work that was done if you are truly concerned if the job was done proper. I do hope for your sake the job did have a permit which will have an inspection. I can tell you right now if there was no permit you can get into loads of trouble.

The OP is having a roof top deck installed in the City ... no way he's getting a permit. The Code requirements make legal roof top decks very expensive. Unless this is high end or around Wrigley and he's making money on it, it's most likely being done without permits. Our Code has a separate section specifically dealing with roof top decks. Egress requirements dramatically change depending on size of building, guardrails around the accessible area, permit, roof rafter load calculations, SE report for the roof rafters, membrane protection, deck materials, support, etc.
    I also don't see a City PL inspector signing off on dumping a roof sink into the vent stack.
    Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    The OP is having a roof top deck installed in the City ... no way he's getting a permit. The Code requirements make legal roof top decks very expensive. Unless this is high end or around Wrigley and he's making money on it, it's most likely being done without permits. Our Code has a separate section specifically dealing with roof top decks. Egress requirements dramatically change depending on size of building, guardrails around the accessible area, permit, roof rafter load calculations, SE report for the roof rafters, membrane protection, deck materials, support, etc.
    I also don't see a City PL inspector signing off on dumping a roof sink into the vent stack.
    Good luck
    Ah if its a roof top deck yes no inspector in the world would sign off due to the fact you would be wet venting every fixture below.

I have corrected a few of the plumbing issues of a rooftop sink. First iss the drainage and vent issue, second is freeze protection. While fixing these issues I seen many other issues being repaired to meet Chicago's building codes. Mr. Keller I agree with you on this I have been on some so called Rooftop decks that scared the h*** out of me.

OP, all I can do is wish you good luck.

Also let me point out some of the Illinois Plumbing code to you that applies to converting a Roof that used for any other purpose than weather protection.

Section 890.1430 Vent Terminals
    a) Roof Extensions. Extensions of vent pipes through a roof shall be terminated at least 12 inches above such roof unless a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection. If a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent shall be extended at least seven (7) feet above the roof. (See Appendix K: Illustration D.)

Last edited by Ron Hasil; 11-18-2010 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Brown View Post
    Hi-

I'm currently having a roof deck installed in a multi-unit building.

The deck is going to have an outdoor kitchen that includes a sink.

The plumber did his work today and I see he connected the sink drain to drop into one of the building's plumbing vents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post

Ah if its a roof top deck yes no inspector in the world would sign off due to the fact you would be wet venting every fixture below.

OP, all I can do is wish you good luck

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    sorry about that.. guess I was to tired to read when I posted. I will make sure I read the OP posts completely from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    sorry about that.. guess I was to tired to read when I posted. I will make sure I read the OP posts completely from now on.
    Ron,

Not at all Thank You for the input.

Must be tough enough dealing with AHJ in The Country of Chicago.