Default drywall under stairs

The latest version I have of IRC is 2006. It says the following.

R311.2.2 Under stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with ½-inch (13 mm) gypsum board.

Does the 2009 IRC version expand, modify or make exceptions to this?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: drywall under stairs

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    The latest version I have of IRC is 2006. It says the following.

R311.2.2 Under stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with ½-inch (13 mm) gypsum board.

Does the 2009 IRC version expand, modify or make exceptions to this?
    If it is enclosed walls then the underside does not have to be drywalled because in essence it already is. If it is a closet or open to the first floor then the underside should be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If it is enclosed walls then the underside does not have to be drywalled because in essence it already is. If it is a closet or open to the first floor then the underside should be covered.

Thanks Ted and I understand that. My main question was, is the 2006 code the same as 2009 or has any new language regarding this reference changed?

One other question;

If sprinkler heads are installed in the under stair area, does that negate the requirement to install drywall?

John,

This will link you to a huge file of codes. Not sure if the IRC is saved in its entirety anywhere in this list.

CA uses most of the structural portion of the 2009 IRC, but did not adopt the electrical, plumbing or mechanical.

WA seems to have adopted the structural and mechanical, but not all of the 2009 IRC.

Would be nice if CA would just adopt the IRC unedited, but since the IRC used the lowest common denominator when it was written, CA felt the need to hold its ground.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

From ther 2009 IRC:
    - R302.7 Under-stair protection. Enclosed accessible space under stairs shall have walls, under-stair surface and any soffits protected on the enclosed side with 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Arthur Gould Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    If sprinkler heads are installed in the under stair area, does that negate the requirement to install drywall?
    The answer is probably no. I am 99% certain of that.