Ted Menelly Guest

Default CBS Codes In Tarrant County TX

If you are a Texas inspector and belong to the Greater Fort Worth Association of Realtors you will no longer have to call to get a CBS code for your SUPRA Key. They just voted on it and all you have to do is go and get your key re programmed. Obviously you will still need to set an appointment but no hunting for CBS codes and having to get a hold of a Realtor where some do not answer their phone at night or on weekends.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: CBS Codes In Tarrant County TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    If you are a Texas inspector and belong to the Greater Fort Worth Association of Realtors you will no longer have to call to get a CBS code for your SUPRA Key. They just voted on it and all you have to do is go and get your key re programmed. Obviously you will still need to set an appointment but no hunting for CBS codes and having to get a hold of a Realtor where some do not answer their phone at night or on weekends.
    Most agents here don't even know what CBS is. We have to call the local Realty Association during their office hours give them the serial number on the Supra Key Box. No weekend, holidays, early or late access. The association states that if the affiliate member (inspector) has $1 mil in liability insurance, they can waive the CBS requirement. I've know inspectors who did that but still were not allowed direct access.

Last edited by Stuart Brooks; 11-13-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added not
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Most agents here don't even know what CBS is. We have to call the local Realty Association during their office hours give them the serial number on the Supra Key Box. No weekend, holidays, early or late access. The association states that if the affiliate member (inspector) has $1 mil in liability insurance, they can waive the CBS requirement. I've know inspectors who did that but still were allowed direct access.

Lets see. You go into a home to do an inspection now by calling and getting a CBS code. Hm. You get permission to enter the home to do an inspection..........thru the appointment and a CBS code. Don't the fools realize that the Supra box keeps track of every person that enters the home. If you do not need a CBS code or if you do need a CBS code then what the heck is the difference. You still have to make an appointment.

When I called yesterday to see if they voted on *ALLOWING* (what a joke) home inspectors to not have to obtain a CBS code the lady I first talked to said "So, let me clearly understand this. YOU think that "JUST ANYBODY" should have access to OUR CLIENTS home for the inspection. This fool did not know that the board already voted on it. I guess she was one that would not have voted on it. Like home inspectors, by law, insured inspectors, that can be kept track of by the Supra box alone, are "JUST ANYBODY". If you could have heard the tone in her voice. When I said to her that all inspectors set the appointment up for the home inspection already and practically never see a Realtor at the home with the exception of sometimes in the end which means that the anybodies are already in the home with out the Realtor....you should have heard her fumbling for words. It was really sad.

The absolute control over Home Inspectors is a joke. I for one want the Realtors out of the home inspection completely for once and for all. No referring any inspector or association what so ever or receive a temp suspension of their license the first time and a permanent suspension of their license the second time.

Many inspectors would hate this but if they stop for one second and think about the ethics they push forth and sound so proud of they would realize that a Realtor having control over who inspects the home for the buyer or seller is the most unethical thing that can happen in the Real Estate Industry.

Imagine, a client finding an inspector on their own from a friend, relative, internet, phone book etc etc etc etc. My oh my. That kind of sounds like everyone finds any other business

OK, I am done with my weekly rant about Realtors. For those Realtors that refer me now.....God Love yeah keep em coming.....for now

Jake Guerrero Guest

Same thing on the Dallas side.

And don't you have to belong to the local Realtor Association to get a SUPRA Key? Here, HIs join as affiliate members. An added problem in the Richmond to Northern Virginia area is that there are at least 5 different associations. Some use the SUPRA Key, Some use the new advanced SUPRA Key system, some use Sentry Lock.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    And don't you have to belong to the local Realtor Association to get a SUPRA Key? Here, HIs join as affiliate members. An added problem in the Richmond to Northern Virginia area is that there are at least 5 different associations. Some use the SUPRA Key, Some use the new advanced SUPRA Key system, some use Sentry Lock.

Exactly. And how silly is that. We have to belong to a REALTOR ASSOCIATION to obtain a Supra Key

I mentioned "Greater Fort Worth Association of Realtors". That happens to be the one I belong to and in the DFW Marketplace there are many associations that one can join. That is a couple hundred out of our pockets for the right to pay for a Supra Key. Paying for the right for a Supra Key thru Realtors Associations. Isn't that unethical in and of itself.

Imagine having to pay to get a supra so we can pay to get a supra....form the Realtors. That in itself puts us immediately as underlings to Realtors. Then we market to them, sometimes direct and sometimes indirect and then in Texas.....we are licensed under the TEXAS REAL ESTATE COMMISSION. And of course they direct the vast amount of inspections to particular inspectors. I am sorry but doesn't anyone see a problem with this? I guess if they had their way then anyone working on Real Estate should be licensed under the TREC. For what ever reason there is behind the Realtors not coming into the 2000s I do not know. Home inspectors have been around for decades now and at least in this state and many others they are licensed and insured

All good reasons why inspectors should not have a SUPRA/MLS key or whatever. Sure it makes the agents and consequently the inspectors life seem a little easier but........

In my area I would need 3 different "keys" for the areas I serve. At $40 and $45 a month it is just not worth it. Not to mention that I would also have to join the different boards at a few hundred dollars a year.

I have been at this gig for 15+ years and I can honestly say that I have not suffered from not having a lock box key.

I know that in a few areas of the country it is the norm for inspectors to have a key, but it shouldn't be that way.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    All good reasons why inspectors should not have a SUPRA/MLS key or whatever. Sure it makes the agents and consequently the inspectors life seem a little easier but........

In my area I would need 3 different "keys" for the areas I serve. At $40 and $45 a month it is just not worth it. Not to mention that I would also have to join the different boards at a few hundred dollars a year.

I have been at this gig for 15+ years and I can honestly say that I have not suffered from not having a lock box key.

I know that in a few areas of the country it is the norm for inspectors to have a key, but it shouldn't be that way.

You know some inspectors that have a key but it should not be that way?

Not sure what you mean.

I might advocate me having a key and not wanting anything to do with Reators being involved in the home inspection but that does not mean I think it has to be for everyone. I just feel that the Realtors are not brain dead and once they have been to a few inspections and see a few reports there is no reason for them to hover around, set the appointment, come let you into a home, talk it up with a client while you are there doing your thing with a client....of yours.

Having to be a member of a Realtor Association, having to rely on Realtor in the absolute slightest and most of all those Realtors choosing what inspector that is going to inspect the home or even referring to one association over another when they truly no nothing of any association other than what the association pushes on them etc etc etc etc.

You have been around for a while Scott and I know you are an intelligent, or seem to be an intelligent , guy and I am hard pressed to figure out why you do not see why in general this entire Realtor having any control over inspections at all is completely improper and unethical. Yes there are many good Realtors out there but then there are a serious amount that are good for nothing just as any profession or trade.

I know this comes up often on this and I am sure other boards. I also know the absolute best thing for someone buying a home it get get a Realtor themselves and to get a home inspector themselves and never the twain shall meet.

I have also seen on this board and others where you talk of ethics in home inspection and hold hard to it but when it comes to Realtors intermixing with Inspectors you find nothing wrong with it what so ever. It is tantamount to an Inspector finding concerns and then repairing those concerns himself for pay. There is absolutely no difference. The Realtor has a Very Strong vested monetary interest in that home selling and for good, bad or indifferent reasons they have control over who inspects that home. You can, and I believe you do (because I believe you have that personality of the easy going kind of guy) walk around smiling thinking (for some reason) that everything is good and well in the world and there is nothing wrong with Realtors having any control over Home Inspections. But, it does not mean there is nothing wrong with it.

Realtors are trying to sell a home to put a sizable chunk of cash in there pockets. One item that stands in the way is how well the inspection comes out. They hold the key. You cannot get in with out them. They refer you or some particular individual that they have on a list or they just refer you directly. This is not saying you are doing anything wrong but it sets the tone from countless other Realtors to literally sway , even if minute, the outcome of a home inspection or report or even if it is just a very soft report.

Just being in the position to be in the position of any form of control by them should send the bright red flag up to anyone.

Gees, another Realtor rant. I really have to stop that. Anyway it is NOT JUST having a key it is ONE more thing reducing Realtor involvement in the home inspection where they have a large monetary interest in the home sale.

Ths is a good one. I had a call last week where the Realtor asked If I could just inspect a foundation of a Pier and Beam home. I asked her why just the foundation. She said "well, we really do not need an inspection we just need an inspector to just write it up in the report that the foundation just has typical foundation cracks for the age and it is of no major concern" It was the appraiser that wrote up some fairly serious cracks on all side of the foundation and put them in his report.

If for no other reason that is why Realtors should have absolutely nothing what so ever to do with the Inspection process. She actually had half a laugh in the end because she could not hold it back. That about sums up my point.

If it were just to stop that one Realtor from selling anymore homes then the complete removal of Realtors from the home inspection profit would be worth it.

She continued to call inspectors and I am positive she found one to do it. If not more than one.

I see it in reports all the time where cracks inside and outside the home everywhere and doors opening by themselves or not closing but in the end under foundation there is not one mention of follow up with a foundation company or engineer. "Just typical settlement for a home of this age", over and over and over, report after report.

If only that was put to rest it would be worth eliminating Realtors.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 11-13-2010 at 01:20 PM.

You have been around for a while Scott and I know you are an intelligent, or seem to be an intelligent , guy and I am hard pressed to figure out why you do not see why in general this entire Realtor having any control over inspections at all is completely improper and unethical. Yes there are many good Realtors out there but then there are a serious amount that are good for nothing just as any profession or trade.
    Ted, I have really never had a problem with agents. It could be that I set the tone upfront, I'm professional and I simply do my job and let the do theirs. I get about 75% of my business from my website, the ASHI site and various discussion boards. I get about 15% from past client referrals and 10% from agents. Simply put I do not depend on agents to make my phone ring. It has taken years to get to this point.

I don't know why I have few if any issue with agents, it might be the area I live and work in.

Agents will never be taken out of the equation. They are the ones who have the buyers and who become "Friends" with those buyers. It is this friendship that has an impact on who the agent recommends to the buyer. The buyer listens to what they are told and that is who they call. Does this happen all of the time? Not as much as we think. I get calls all the time from educated buyers who do not want to use the agent recommend inspector.

Buyers in my area it appears are more educated in the process than in other parts of the country from what everyone is posting.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Sorry if I made sound all about you. As you say, you only get about 10% from Realtors. Honestly though I would venture to gues it is a bit higher as it is with me.

This is about home Inspectors involvement with Realtors. Believe it or not there are some places (maybe no completely) that do have serious restrictions about Realtor referrals. I do not have much of a problem with Realtors due to the fact that I do not have much to do with them.

Thinking the way you do about "Agents will never be taken out of the equation" is exactly why Realtors won't be taken out of the equation in the matter of referring Home Inspectors. Another reason is that there are a serious amount of inspectors that almost solely depend on Realtor referrals and they would never vote it out. Hence the biggest problem. They live and die by Realtor referrals. I have seen some folks on here boast 90 % and even better for the amount of their work they get thru Realtors.

As far as the Realtor becoming their friends....Really....For the simple fact that they are going to make a few grand off of their new found friend

I know you once had a Realtor license but I also know you get it as well. By the way. What do you have to say about Home Inspectors doing all the repairs they find for a fee ? Never mind...I thought so.

Sorry if I made sound all about you. As you say, you only get about 10% from Realtors. Honestly though I would venture to gues it is a bit higher as it is with me.
    Not a problem.
    This is about home Inspectors involvement with Realtors. Believe it or not there are some places (maybe no completely) that do have serious restrictions about Realtor referrals. I do not have much of a problem with Realtors due to the fact that I do not have much to do with them.
    I agree. I think it is Massachusetts that has the restriction on recommending home inspectors. I believe it is the only state that has it written into the real estate license law. The kicker is that it only covers the selling agent and not the buyers agent. The buyers agent can still recommend See-No-Evil inspections or whoever they like.
    Thinking the way you do about "Agents will never be taken out of the equation" is exactly why Realtors won't be taken out of the equation in the matter of referring Home Inspectors. Another reason is that there are a serious amount of inspectors that almost solely depend on Realtor referrals and they would never vote it out. Hence the biggest problem. They live and die by Realtor referrals. I have seen some folks on here boast 90 % and even better for the amount of their work they get thru Realtors.
    Again I agree. Those who really depended on agents for their business have been the ones who have really suffered and for many have gone out of business over the last couple of years.

As far as the Realtor becoming their friends....Really....For the simple fact that they are going to make a few grand off of their new found friend

I know you once had a Realtor license but I also know you get it as well. By the way. What do you have to say about Home Inspectors doing all the repairs they find for a fee ? Never mind...I thought so.
    Don't get me started about inspectors doing repairs!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com