Kelly Mead Guest

Default Exterior Stairs / Steps

I am interested in information regarding the SC building codes for exterior stairs / steps. My mother had an additional built onto her house and the contractor built brick steps going to the back yard. There are a total of four brick steps. The inspector would not sign off of the final inspection due to the steps. Is this correct? Does the steps need to have a landing?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Exterior Stairs / Steps

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Mead View Post
    I am interested in information regarding the SC building codes for exterior stairs / steps. My mother had an additional built onto her house and the contractor built brick steps going to the back yard. There are a total of four brick steps. The inspector would not sign off of the final inspection due to the steps. Is this correct? Does the steps need to have a landing?
    If the city/county inspector would not sign off on it then you need to take care of what they want done. Add in a landing and go on with life. You do not want to make the inspector mad.

I do not kow about SC code, but a landing should be at the bottom of the steps if they are coming from the home.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In addition to having a landing at the bottem of the steps as Scott said. If the door swings out over the steps, there needs to be a landing at the top of the steps also.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Mead View Post

Scott and Rick are both correct..........
    And your city inspector has authority - no matter what our opinion is.

Also a grippable hand rail is required with 4 or more risers.
    Guardrails are required on open sides of stairs if total rise is above 30 inches.

The inspector is correct.
    mf

Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector