Default Waste Line Vent?

Yesterday, house of unknown age but I guessed late 40's to mid-fifties. Waste line to the septic tank was apparently replaced at some point with PVC. One bathroom and kitchen. You can see the vent pipe for the bathroom running up the side of the house behind the waste line. There was a rubber cap on an ell from the waste line. Holes in top. Perhaps a AAV type device? I've never seen anything like it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Waste Line Vent?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Yesterday, house of unknown age but I guessed late 40's to mid-fifties. Waste line to the septic tank was apparently replaced at some point with PVC. One bathroom and kitchen. You can see the vent pipe for the bathroom running up the side of the house behind the waste line. There was a rubber cap on an ell from the waste line. Holes in top. Perhaps a AAV type device? I've never seen anything like it.
    Those holes look way too random to be by a mfg. Looks DIY.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

David Bell Guest

Looks like it may be a clean out. Maybe they had some nuisance clogging due to imporper venting.

The plumbing vent needs to be extended. The plumber should check the lower end of the vent stack. If it is tied in to that drain, those holes in the cap are just foolish.

Are you sure that pipe with the cap is part of the sewage system? I have to admit I might have used my sniffer to make sure.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Agree with John K. about the holes and extension.. Chapter 14 Sections 1404.4 and 1404.5 of the Standard Plumbing Code states you cannot terminate below a soffit nor can you be within 10' of a window unless your 2" above it.. I doubt it seriously but seeing the location of the capped pvc it "could" be a removed gutter downspout?? Sniff it and see..

Quote Originally Posted by kenny martin View Post
    Agree with John K. about the holes and extension.. Chapter 14 Sections 1404.4 and 1404.5 of the Standard Plumbing Code states you cannot terminate below a soffit nor can you be within 10' of a window unless your 2" above it.. I doubt it seriously but seeing the location of the capped pvc it "could" be a removed gutter downspout?? Sniff it and see..
    I ended up recommending having the plumbing system assessed and repaired as required by competent LPC since what was visible looked like DIY and Bubba next door modifications. No real odor, even from septic tank. House hasn't been lived in for several months. The septic tank was archaic built with CMU or due to age, maybe real "Cinder Blocks". Metal plate lid was at surface level so I opened it for a quick peak. County has no record of the house before a 2003 Sun Room addition. I'll post some pictures of the floor supports in the crawl space.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA