Default Would you write "Your electrical system is perfectly fine."

Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report, as ASHITalksHouse is suggesting here:

http://www.jacnspx.com/FrenchColonial.mp3

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Benjamin Gromicko; 11-15-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: SpeaksHouse
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Would you write "Your electrical system is perfectly fine."

I don't interpret that audio as instructing inspectors how to write a report. Is there a particular point that you are trying to make with this post and your other one about making a SOP video for ASHI?

I do not find a benefit in anyone in a leadership position attempting to cast doubt on a rival organization through a public medium. I think that the ASHI PR clip is fine - I also think the your SOP video is fine. How about we let it go at that?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    I don't interpret that audio as instructing inspectors how to write a report. Is there a particular point that you are trying to make with this post and your other one about making a SOP video for ASHI?

I do not find a benefit in anyone in a leadership position attempting to cast doubt on a rival organization through a public medium. I think that the ASHI PR clip is fine - I also think the your SOP video is fine. How about we let it go at that?
    Eric

He is promoting his own videos as the link below his name and his other new threads show. I kind of like the guy for his efforts but his shameless flaunting of himself and his multiple business interests are a bit, well, way to much. He will come back on here only because there was a response. The response to his thread is what his efforts are all about. Hits to his material, and promotion of his business ventures. When he does come back it will be the scratching of his head saying "What do you mean? I was only * * * * * * * * * * * * * " After a while he will go away until the next newer adventure or to promote an existing venture that has slacked off a bit.

He obviously has permission from Brian to flaunt his wares in this manner unlike all the rest of the advertisers like the OREP and ASHI add below

Regardless of whether or not ASHI was intending to have the inspectors write that up on their reports ... *I* certainly would NOT WANT an association I belonged to (and, no, I have not been an ASHI member since 2004 when I did not renew) to publicly say what that said (or to even say that in private, who knows if it might be made public later).

If ... IF ... that is typical of the ASHI productions, then I would recommend that someone with some intelligence (Jack, Scott, etc.) should be reviewing those before they go out).

Added with edit: I am not implying that Jack and Scott only have "some" intelligence, but that whomever approved that did not, and that I know that Jack and Scott ARE intelligent and they would have had that stated differently.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 11-14-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added last part
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What a turd.
    Sorry, I meant only a turd would stink up a room like someone so petty they forget to wipe.
    Ouch!!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Allan Davis Guest

No I would never say that anything was perfect, its not a good choice of words. But what is sadder is that you have leadership of an organization taking shots at a rival.

I commend Mr. Gromecko for the educational videos and written material. I like alot of what I see and feel that ASHI could learn a thing or two on what home inspectors want. I was a member of both organizations at one time but dropped INTERNACHI simply due to the my feeling that the organization lacks class and is run by leadership that seems way too redneck.

I know friends that belong to INTERNACHI and I can understand why all the way up to the point where the leadership starts throwing beer bottles and calling names. When the day comes where class comes to INTERNACHI I will return.

Why would a person want to buy anything from Ben Gromicko or INACHI.

I would rather buy a publication from Douglas Hansen if I needed electrical education.

I wonder if Google will catch this thread?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Mark Howe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Gromicko View Post
    Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report, as ASHI is suggesting here:

I can't see where I would ever need to write something like that.

I also don't see the need for anyone to hire a home inspector who is so simple minded and devoid of logical prowess that they would construe that radio add as a serious suggestion (or any suggestion) of how a report should be written. I am sure that your potential clients appreciate the heads up.

Simple, duplicitous, and disingenuous is no way to go through life.

Folks step back and take a breath. Before you get so defensive and start conjecturing all sort statements that were not made.

The original post asked a simple question about an adv. The post pointed out that when a adv is created the message can be lost due to someone in the adv. group creating the advertisement without really thinking about what actualy is being said but rather how cute of an idea it is.

People in the HI industry know that the reply to the question in french on the electrical system is not anything that would be typically found. The premise is that there had been something that lead the french speaker to believe that the electrical system had major problems to the point of total replacement. If that were the case the response to the question would not have been the same. Some one at ASHI should have corrected the adv. and made it a bit more realistic and have used some other dialogue to get their point across.

Some members that reply to posts, at times, tend to look at certain posts with an eye for a fight when it comes to who is making the original post.

To often much is made about nothing in the presumptive pitting of one organization against another. Don't be a zealot for one organization over another.

Lets try to look at things with a little less jaded eye. Take the post as it is presented without making assertions to fiendish motives.

If anyone else had made the post, what would have been your response?

Don Burbach Guest

For openers, I am not a member of ASHI or NACHI.

While the ad is cute, it is silly. The message is ASHI inspectors are the inspectors that can speak 'house'. I'd like to see anything factual in ASHI's SOP or training that is substantially any different than any other organization.

In some areas of the country, ASHI teams with a local organization for their meetings, conferences, and training.

Since all inspectors choose their own report software from many different vendors, ASHI inspectors have no starting difference in the language of any report. ASHI inspectors customize the report wording just like any other inspector. Do you really think they do it any differently???? Will consumers think they do it any differently????

ASHI seems to be differentiated the same way as any other marketing group: FTD florist, Mr. GoodWrench autoservice, BoatUS boating, , AAA motels, or Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval consumer products.

Me thinks ASHI has just joined NACHI in the marketing game! Perhaps, ASHI has accomplished its mission if we are still talking about them 15 minutes later. Andy Warhol may have gotten it right!

Ted Menelly Guest

Gees, it is all just advertising just a Ben does every time he comes on here. There is absolutely no difference what so ever. I will add that I have belonged to both and no belong to neither.

ASHI was always a whole lot more , don't know what words to use, upper end I guess, in there marketing.

Again Ben has served his purpose since several days ago when he hit the band with at InspectionNews with the multiple threads he popped off. Everyone of them was simply for the hits he would get. It did not matter if the come backs were good, bad or indifferent because he got what he came for....hits. That is just another one of his marketing campaigns.

As far as taking a breath. I think you are asking the wrong folks. You should be addressing Ben about his, what words did Mark Howe use in his post.......duplicitous it's synonyms ( crooked, deceptive, double-dealing, dishonest, fast, fraudulent, guileful, rogue, shady, sharp, shifty, underhand, underhanded, and disingenuous) and his other word I won't use because it falls into the synonyms of duplicitous. Every single time the mans starts a thread it is just for the advertisement of his business ventures.

Now I will take a breath. Once again I was duped into giving more hits to Ben's gain. And one of his gains was for everyone to see his disgraceful bashing of another (oldest and most upright in the country) Inspection Association. Why he felt it necessary to do so is not beyond me because I already gave a basic method to his madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    ...And one of his gains was for everyone to see his disgraceful bashing of another (oldest and most upright in the country) Inspection Association. Why he felt it necessary to do so is not beyond me because I already gave a basic method to his madness.
    Bashing?
    Nope.
    Posing a question is hardly bashing.
    Is there something "uneasy" with providing an answer to a question?
    Why so defensive?

Again, here's the question? Let's see who can answer intelligently...
    Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report, as InterNACHI is suggesting here:

Ted Menelly Guest

Bashing?
    Nope.
    Posing a question is hardly bashing.
    Is there something "uneasy" with providing an answer to a question?
    Why so defensive?

Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report, as InterNACHI is suggesting here:

Ben

Look, I am bored so I will play a bit. The market is up then down, nothing then bussy, it scares you for a couple weeks and then you have a couple weeks that bailes you out so again I will play this one time.

You....no matter what you say are tied so tightly together with another Inspection Association that the glue can never be dissolved.

You came on here posing as the good buddy friendly fellow home inspector adding a link to another association and without saying directly "I am bashing ASHI, you did anyway.

You also have a list of new threads that in reality do nothing but promote yourself as in you and business partners as absolutely as much as possible. Like I stated before I am quite sure you have something going with Brian because he never does anything about it or he may not want to rock the boat due to the company you are tied with. Yes, company you are tied with.

I personally like the vast array of goodies on the NACHI site but I do not like the fact that it boasts itself as a Home Inspector association when it is nothing but a for profit corporation. You have your own ventures but still are glued to NACHI. You say you are not part of NACHI and have said so on other multiple threads.....Hmm, I wonder what you are doing all over the NACHI site. Oh, I know...you are business partners with Nick and the entire NACHI site.

Then you come back, just as I said you would, making believe you are scratching your head in total shock and not understanding about what exactly is going on.

Then you make this statement below trying to regain control. I do believe you must have taken mind games 101 after grade school. But then again this is you business in life to market. To market is to control. No control...the marketing does not work. Say just the right wordfs and they will fall in line. Those that don't...ignore them and work on the ones that have already bitten.

Market...get bites....work on the biters

I for one think the shame in this thread is over whelming for someone from another association. Yes you are part of NACHI Ben. They bring folks in and help make you money. You bring folks in and help make them money. NACHI is just a marketing corp that you are part of and have always been part of.

Bens control question to keep the game going and get everyone to totally ignore the rest of the real facts. Gotta love yeah Ben. You do know what you are doing.

"Again, here's the question? Let's see who can answer intelligently...
    http://www.jacnspx.com/FrenchColonial.mp3 "

You said InterNACHI, did you mean ASHI.
    But to answer your question, No.

Ben
    I like what you are doing with the videos, and think you should continue.
    However, I do think it is in poor taste for you to question another organizations advertising.
    You are just too closely associated with INachi.
    I believe it can only damage your image on this forum.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    "Again, here's the question? Let's see who can answer intelligently...
    http://www.jacnspx.com/FrenchColonial.mp3 "

You said InterNACHI, did you mean ASHI.
    But to answer your question, No.

Ben
    I like what you are doing with the videos, and think you should continue.
    However, I do think it is in poor taste for you to question another organizations advertising.
    You are just too closely associated with INachi.
    I believe it can only damage your image on this forum.
    Understood.
    But I have no other way to introduce a concern that ALL inspectors share.

Should an inspector decide what their client "gets" and "not gets" from an inspection?
    I say, "NO."
    But that's what is communicated in the audio advertisement.

Should an inspector state that a system is "perfectly fine?"
    I say, "NO."
    But that's what is communicated in the audio advertisement.

Scratch that the advertisement is ASHI or NAHI or InterNACHI. Who cares?

AS ALWAYS.... My concern, my question, is directed to the CONTENT, not the ASSOCIATION (as some are suggesting).

OK Ben

Do you think the inspector should be discussing with the buyer, how to negotiate what repairs the seller should make?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jeez, it was a radio spot ad.

I think there might be one or two more. Advertising is designed to get a response.

The response that was being looked for with this ad was to "use an ASHI inspector". ASHI national never ran them, they were produced by ASHI for use by ASHI members.

Kind of like the advertising logo an organization wants to make for full time Inspectors to disparage the part time inspectors. Apparently they do not care for inspectors who have another job and are also home inspectors and they want to encourage the public to use only the full timers!

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 11-15-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

OK Ben

Do you think the inspector should be discussing with the buyer, how to negotiate what repairs the seller should make?
    Negotiating should be left to the agent.
    And the report should be clear as to "immediate" concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Jeez, it was a radio spot ad.
    I think there might be one or two more. Advertising is designed to get a response.
    Agreed.
    The ad itself is of no concern.
    The producer (NAHI) of the ad deserves even less attention.

My original question was prompted by my response to the ad.
    That question is (again) - "Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report?"

"Negotiating should be left to the agent."

Then why do you endorse YouTube - What Really Matters in a Home Inspection

Listen to what is said at 1:50

"It is inappropriate to demand the seller..."

That sounds to me like telling the buyer how and what to negotiate.
    Does it sound that way to you?

"Negotiating should be left to the agent."

Then why do you endorse YouTube - What Really Matters in a Home Inspection

Listen to what is said at 1:50

"It is inappropriate to demand the seller..."

That sounds to me like telling the buyer how and what to negotiate.
    Does it sound that way to you?
    "It is inappropriate to demand that a seller address deferred maintenance, conditions already listed on the seller's disclosure or nit-picky items."
    I agree.
    It would be inappropriate for an inspector to inform their client to "demand" anything.

That video "What Really Matters" is addressing home buyers. It's not in the voice of an inspector. It's a distinction worthy of mentioning.

Agreed.
    The ad itself is of no concern.
    The producer (NAHI) of the ad deserves even less attention.

My original question was prompted by my response to the ad.
    That question is (again) - "Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report?"
    As an inspector I can't really think of scenario that would even coming up in a conversation. As a homeowner I could see it being said.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I believe it's critical to never use the word "perfect" when describing the condition of a system or component - either verbally, orally, or whatever.

So, my instant response to the audio TalkHouse ad was "What!?"

I believe it's critical to never use the word "perfect" when describing the condition of a system or component - either verbally, orally, or whatever.

I agree.. Nothing is perfect outside of 25 year old MaCallan!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Again,
    If anyone else had made the post, what would have been your response?

Is it about the message or the messenger?

General question for what is in a report and what is said by an inspector.
    If you are willing to say something, should you not be willing to put it in writing?

If you are not willing to put it in writing, should you say anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Again,
    General question for what is in a report and what is said by an inspector.
    If you are willing to say something, should you not be willing to put it in writing?

If you are not willing to put it in writing, should you say anything?
    Yes, There are times that things should be said that I am not willing to put in my report. My clients attend the inspection and we discuss many topics in detail.

We may discuss that the current electrical panel is only a 100 amp panel. That is the current minimum required by NEC and may serve the sellers purposes fine. But there is no central air conditioning and the panel is full. The basement is unfinished and the buyers wish to finish it into living space. The wife is a potter and wants to have a kiln. The existing panel is inadequate for the BUYERS needs and wants but it is in satisfactory condition with no obvious defects. Nothing to write about in the report but certainly much to discuss with the clients about.

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 11-17-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Michael Gantt Guest

Just taking what is being discussed here, not having heard the ad, it sounds like a pretty solid question that should be easy to answer.

If a client having you conduct an inspection is asking you to make a false statement indicating that the electrical system is somehow faulty, when it is not, to support their desire to negotiate an upgrade, I think it might just be appropriate to say, "I'm sorry - I can't do that."

I don't think you'd ever say, "The electrical system is perfect," or "you can't have a new one." The first statement sets you up for added liability. The second statement is none of your business. It's between the buyer and seller.

However, if a client was asking me to make a false statement to support them in a negotiation with a seller, I might just feel like walking away from the situation entirely. If they want me to help them rip somebody off, what's to stop them from trying to rip me off? Watch for a claim that you made a material mistake and that you owe them a new electrical system.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Yes, There are times that things should be said that I am not willing to put in my report. My clients attend the inspection and we discuss many topics in detail.

We may discuss that the current electrical panel is only a 100 amp panel. That is the current minimum required by NEC and may serve the sellers purposes fine. But their is no central air conditioning and the panel is full. The basement is unfinished and the buyers wish to finish it into living space. The wife is potter and wants to have a kiln. The existing panel is inadequate for the BUYERS needs and wants but it is in satisfactory condition with no obvious defects. Nothing to write about in the report but certainly much to discuss with the clients about.

I believe there is nothing wrong with addressing the discussion with the clients on the report. As a reminder to them about adding that kiln in the garage or basement or if it were about adding a room on or a workshop outback. There is nothing wrong noting the discussion in the report about the panel having no open slots and an upgrade to either a larger panel or what ever the case may be if that is there intention.

Just because it is not a concern at the moment but they discussed adding that workshop on then I believe it should be discussed in the report. It is not all about the now. They want you to inspect their potential new home to find out the now and near future expenditures.

To not discuss it would be like not writing up an HVAC system that is 28 years old and the life expectancy is only 12 to 15 years. It might be working reasonably well at the moment but you are talking about a tomorrow, next week or next month outlay of cash of 5,000.00 and up.

Now if the electric panel was not discussed or an add on to the home that required large or multiple breakers then the 100 amp is fine.

I was called a year after an inspection about a smaller panel and the woman wanted some electric work added on in the garage and she had to put out 1,200.00 for a new larger panel. She called me for 3 months trying to get money from me because I did not inform her of the small panel (100 amp). There were several gas appliances in the home and for how the home was set up at the time of the inspection everything was fine.

I would agree the word "perfect" especially when describing an entire (electrical) system is just ...well, Stupid!
    the Frenchy inspector just overstepped his/her bounds and declared ALL components including ALL wiring, including those hidden in the walls (system) to be free from defects or failure "forever"....Perfect? you bet.

It could be that the Ad agency had free rain when producing the ad but it really should be edited by someone that knows (house) better.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    It could be that the Ad agency had free rain when producing the ad but it really should be edited by someone that knows (house) better.

"free rain ... really should be edited"

I thought all "rain" was free? Maybe some editing is, indeed, in order?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don Burbach Guest

With free rain it pours and we get wet doing inspections, with free rein with ad companies we just look silly! But we don't have perfect electrical systems in any way!

Michael Gantt Guest

I was going to resist the temptation to call in the spelling and grammar police, but I was thinking the phrase was "free reign," as to have control over something. It makes more sense that it is "free rein," as to be free of restraint, as you've used it. I'm glad I didn't jump in 'til I knew I was wrong.

I have a very good friend who is the most excellent inspector, and the best of men. Yet, he is not the best of spellers. In discussing sprinkler escutcheons, he came up with like 3 different spellings in the same message. Even with some coaching, he had trouble remembering the spelling. One day he asked me again how to spell "escutcheon," and I said, "Joe, listen very carefully. Escutcheon is spelled T, R, I, M, space, R, I, N, G. Remember that, and you'll never embarrass yourself spelling it wrong."

Negotiating should be left to the agent.
    And the report should be clear as to "immediate" concerns.
    Ben - The negotiating should not be left to the agent. The agent is an intermediary carrying paper. The agent is just a messenger. Agent is a sales person. On the rare occasion is the agent working for the buyer. Even rarer the agent is actually in the legal position to negotiate.

I would disagree to "immediate" which is a relative determinate of time. That is a discussion for another time. When an inspection is ordered is it not prudent to ask the client what their concerns may be and then address those concerns in the final report. Those concerns may be immediate or far reaching.

Your original post was interesting. Those berating you are wrong. To many are insecure and need to lash out to feel more secure, though it seldom helps. It is regrettable that there is such a high degree of name calling by some members contributing to this forum. Maybe there should be a an separate discussion so those who need to vent can just get it out of their systems, though that may not be enough for those that are to blind to to see due to their irrational fears clouding their vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    What a turd.
    Sorry, I meant only a turd would stink up a room like someone so petty they forget to wipe.
    Jack, your potential clients are reading everything you write.

Remember, InspectionNews is a big effective Search Engine magnet.

what-a-turd-by-Jack-Feldmann.jpg
    "What a turd" by Jack Feldmann comes up #1. Congratulations!

Jack, your potential clients are reading everything you write.

Remember, InspectionNews is a big effective Search Engine magnet.

what-a-turd-by-Jack-Feldmann.jpg
    "What a turd" by Jack Feldmann comes up #1. Congratulations!
    LOL.. If those poentential clinents find that, I'm sure they will research a little futher on you, comments made by your brother about other Home Inspectors that don't pay him on an open to a public site, the instant on-line certifiation HI org , and HI chat board you promote, then agree with his comment.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 11-20-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    LOL.. If those poentential clinents find that, I'm sure they will research a little futher on you, comments made by your brother about other Home Inspectors that don't pay him on an open to a public site, the instant on-line certifiation HI org , and HI chat board you promote, then agree with his comment.
    I disagree.
    There's no good reason for using offensive language to a fellow inspector.

I disagree.
    Since you now seem to be playing home inspectors ethics cop. As you stated to Katherine, I am the Director of Education of a large property inspector association.
    I can only assume you find calling someone a turd is more offensive than the owner of your home inspector org calling inspectors of other orgs, and members on this site dumb stupid scum bags.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Since you now seem to be playing home inspectors ethics cop. As you stated to Katherine, I am the Director of Education of a large property inspector association.
    I can only assume you find calling someone a turd is more offensive than the owner of your home inspector org calling inspectors of other orgs, and members on this site dumb stupid scum bags.
    Wrong.
    I'm not exactly sure to what you're referring, but I can guess.
    I'm sure there's a lot of things my bro has said that I cringe over.
    Not much I can do about that for you. I am sorry that you (and many other inspectors) are so hurt. No one is perfect.

Which brings us back to the thread topic.... No system is perfect, particularly the electrical.

Wrong.
    I'm not exactly sure to what you're referring, but I can guess.
    I'm sure there's a lot of things my bro has said that I cringe over.
    Not much I can do about that for you. I am sorry that you (and many other inspectors) are so hurt. No one is perfect.
    Never felt hurt, just embarresed for our profession. I just cannot figure how some one that supports, promotes an org and an orgs owner that name calls and slanders other home inspectors , appears to be offended by someone calling him a turd , for making a post that was clearly posted to bash anothe rHI org.

www.inspectaz.com

... I just cannot figure how some one that supports, promotes an org and an orgs owner that name calls and slanders other home inspectors , appears to be offended by someone calling him a turd , for making a post that was clearly posted to bash anothe rHI org.
    You can say there is. Not me.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Smile Re: Would you write "Your electrical system is perfectly fine."

After more than 8 decades on this earth, and more than 6 of them married to the same wonderful woman, there is one thing I can say with certainty.

There is only one mortal being on this earth who can state "perfectly fine" and that is the Mrs. if she is self-reporting this as her own state of being; and there can be no good to come from questioning or not accepting it, immediately, and without hesitation as absolute! (That "perfectly fine" however, does not necessarily mean it literally applies!)

I'd be doubtful of such an assessment, coming from any other mortal being regarding a such a declaration of a condition of anything or by any other mortal.

Making such a statement is akin to warranting it, and buying a boat load of troubl.e should anything prove to be less-than-perfect. If no defects or concerns are visualized and/or identified within the limitations of one's inspection, note same, period.

Roger Frazee Guest

There is only one mortal being on this earth who can state "perfectly fine" and that is the Mrs.
    Now we have finally had something sensible brought to light that I agree with......

My mother use to tell me that when I feigned sickness to stay home from school..."you are perfectly fine" as I remember it. At which point you dare not question and better get out of bed and get to school or you would no longer be 'perfectly fine'....

"Perfectly fine" is such a fleeting condition. Like "my tire was perfectly fine right up till it went flat".

H. G. -Interesting that you are 80ish. 60+ married. Really says something. Adds an understanding and insight to your back round. I should be so fortunate.

H. G. - Have seen many of your posts and I have a question for you.
    Do you take issue with the adv. statement or the person who pointed it out for discussion? There seems to be a lot of attitude floating around.

Personally I was just looking at the adv. and what it said. I know ultimately it's much to do about nothing. No axes to grind.

Talking Re: Would you write "Your electrical system is perfectly fine."

Not sure this is intended to be a topic for discussion. Stating the obvious with an air of discovery is a doorway into a sales pitch.

Ted Menelly Guest

Lets see

This is the 45th post to the original post to this thread.

As one can see from beginning to the end that this is blatant association bashing and the man is literally counting the hits on Google. If that does not bring things to light then nothing will. Things are not always as they appear.

Garry

If you look at everyone's return to the threads question (most) and the return to the person it was posted by and then you look at every single thread the man starts you will see that it is corporate advertisement that should be in the banner adds not in the threads. Instead of questioning everyone's motives and playing psychologist or psychoanalyst as in your statement " To many are insecure and need to lash out to feel more secure" (besides it is too not to) you should take it for what it is worth as most people on this board do and question the thread starter.

If Ben came on here and intermingled in a genuine sense with the other inspectors instead of bashing other orgs and pushing his blatant advertising with thread after thread after thread and acting like the village idiot every time someone confronts him with it he would have a serious amount of respect.

The man has a knack or certain ways of doing things that are long practiced. Those not familiar with his tactics always come back in defense of him until they know his real intent and then wind up pissed at him because he talks to the masses like they are idiots and must just fall in line.

Back to your statement

"To many are insecure and need to lash out to feel more secure, though it seldom helps."

Now most would take offense to that and I get a little aggravated when some one comes on here acting like the board psychologist. The real finding is that most folks that make statements like that either took psychology 101 or are or have already been seeing a psychologist for some time and wish to reflect their discovery from their class or from one of their sessions. They have the tendency to push their diagnosis onto the general public when they do not or do not wish to see all the facts for what they really are before commenting with such statements. Most that act as such do not even realise they are making derogatory remarks about others (Some do realize it but do not care. Which one are you?). They have the true belief that they stand above others and can dictate to them of the rights and wrongs in life when inside they are extremely troubled and have a serious need to analyze the masses as part of their own therapy. Uh oh, did I just analyze someone...oh dear! Maybe I should not have taken all those years of training and field work!

Fact is I respect Ben for his uncanny sense in the marketing realm albeit flim flam for the most part. I always wished I had the golden tongue but for the most part I do but do not wish to use it as I truly do not believe or wish to believe that everyone needs to be taken in one way or another. Taken in the sense because there is no real meaning to life when you take that walk thru life seeing what good the person or group you are talking to has if for not to be taken advantage of or find a way to pull money from their pockets.

Life has become such. Wake up, find your target, take as much from that target as you can and continue on with your next target. If anyone truly goes thru life with that frame of mind I have serious pity on them. Race thru life as fast as you can only to get to the end of your life, comfortable, fat and happy with a smile on your face waiting to breath your last breath. What a serious waist of life and the masses one took advantage of along the way.

Work and make money...absolutely, and do the best you can for the person you are getting the money from.

Sound the same as what Ben does or folks like him does for a living? Not in the slightest. If you believe that then you are not near as observant as you put out to be.

This is not a personal attack on you for your beliefs or your previous comments but it is a direct attempt to tickle a few brain cells so you may see the true light.

Have a nice day!

Would you ever write "You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine" in your inspection report, as ASHITalksHouse is suggesting here:

Hmm. I just listened to the link and nowhere in it did I hear anyone state that a home inspector should write, You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine".

This advertisement is just that. It is not a technical document or SOP. Seems like the op is just bashing the association.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Hmm. I just listened to the link and nowhere in it did I hear anyone state that a home inspector should write, You can't have a new electrical system, the current one is perfectly fine".

This advertisement is just that. It is not a technical document or SOP. Seems like the op is just bashing the association.
    I disagree.
    I may be incorrect, but "No. You can't have a new electrical system. The current one is perfectly fine." is in the voice of a home inspector.
    When I heard that, it popped into my head that I would never use the term "perfect" or "fine" to describe a system's condition in an inspection report. Nor would I say that to a client.
    As I've said before, the producer of the audio ad is not relevant. The content is the topic.
    ... but I think the dead horse has been beaten enough. We've moved on...

I keep getting email notices of new posts to this thread. (i know, i could turn them off)
    I thought that the thread would have died out by now...at least the back biting.

But I can see with regard to this thread, that "like a tire fire, trying to put it out only makes it worse. You just gotta grab a beer and let it burn." --Hank Hill

I disagree.
    I may be incorrect, but "No. You can't have a new electrical system. The current one is perfectly fine." is in the voice of a home inspector.
    When I heard that, it popped into my head that I would never use the term "perfect" or "fine" to describe a system's condition in an inspection report. Nor would I say that to a client.
    As I've said before, the producer of the audio ad is not relevant. The content is the topic.
    ... but I think the dead horse has been beaten enough. We've moved on...
    You're being selectively literal. You're saying that the voice saying "No. You can't have a new electrical system. The current one is perfectly fine." is that of a home inspector. Since you're being literal in this belief, how about the person she's speaking to? Oh, wait, it's the talking house. I've inspected thousands of homes and never heard one literally talking to me.

I've seen a video recently where flashing magically flew across the video and installed itself. Is that literally how flashing is installed? Or is it an advertisement or marketing ploy.

I've seen a video recently where flashing magically flew across the video and installed itself. Is that literally how flashing is installed? Or is it an advertisement or marketing ploy.
    (You're referring to a deck flashing video I produced...)
    It's neither.
    The 'flying' components were intended to demonstrate an installation sequence, with one component installed after another in the proper order, to shed water away properly from the structure. And it's a little entertaining and keeps it from being dull. Both (correct details and a little entertainment) are essential to instructing.

The audio ad is entertaining (listening to French), but lacks correct details and accuracy. IMHO.
    (I think this dead horse has been beaten enough...)

(You're referring to a deck flashing video I produced...)
    It's neither.
    The 'flying' components were intended to demonstrate an installation sequence, with one component installed after another in the proper order, to shed water away properly from the structure. And it's a little entertaining and keeps it from being dull. Both (correct details and a little entertainment) are essential to instructing.

The audio ad is entertaining (listening to French), but lacks correct details and accuracy. IMHO.
    (I think this dead horse has been beaten enough...)
    As I said, selectively literal in order to bash an organization. No matter how you interpret either, they are both advertisements, not intended to portrait technical facts. Flashing doesn't magically install itself and houses don't talk. Both are entertaining, and both advertise, but neither are actual instruction material.

As I said, selectively literal in order to bash an organization. No matter how you interpret either, they are both advertisements, not intended to portrait technical facts. Flashing doesn't magically install itself and houses don't talk. Both are entertaining, and both advertise, but neither are actual instruction material.
    Okay.
    Awesome point.
    I'm taking notes.

Hello Ben: I would NOT put in my report it is in perfect condition, I would however put the the electrical system appears in serviceable condition.

By the way boys lets stop the child play on on what ever you think about any assn or a person!!

We are suppose to be professionals lets act like we are please, I have belonged to most all assn at one time or another and I feel inashi is one of the best and no other assn contributes to the home inspector like internashi!!

Lets help each other, that is what we are here for.