mathew stouffer Guest

Default Concrete tile roof

Don't see these in my area, but ventured a little South today. Is this ridge installation correct.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Concrete tile roof

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Don't see these in my area, but ventured a little South today. Is this ridge installation correct.
    I would say it is as long as the flashing under it is done correctly

Those nails through the ridge cap penetrate the flashing. I've never seen where the next tile doesn't overlap the nail head, but I've never seen nail holes in the center of the tile like that.

With those preformed center water diverter, closed valley, valley metal, and the unpointed areas where water can get in ... it looks like a confused mess between several system types. Typically, those valleys will also have upturned edges, known as slater's edges as the upturned edges on the valley metal is used for slate roofs.

Typically (but not always) those preformed valleys are used with System One sealed or unsealed underlayment systems. Were the other flashings the lead one which were on top of the tiles?

Also, if a System One tile roof, there would be a lead flashing over the last ridge cap coming out from under the field tiles above it.

Also, a System One tile roof would not have any ... none ... exposed fasteners, so it may be some other system (System Two?).

But a System Two would need the valleys pointed up and they usually do not have those preformed valleys.

I also see another hole at the end of the full ridge tiles, which makes me suspect those are not ridge tiles but rake tiles.

That's a lot of guessing and "typically", but it does not look right, but how bad it looks will depend on the system it was supposed to be.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Few more pics. Also they didn't have any ridge venting so Im not sure what they have under the ridge tiles. looks like ice and water shield.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Few more pics. Also they didn't have any ridge venting so Im not sure what they have under the ridge tiles. looks like ice and water shield.
    I am just curious about how many tiles you broke from walking on it. I have had to get on several of those roofs and have cracked a tile or 2. The way they lay it is almost impossible not to break one.

mathew stouffer Guest

Didn't break one. Walked up a low angle, stopped near the ridge and visually inspected the roof. I am like Remo Williams when he runs across the wet concrete

From the look of that caulking, that roofer has had training as a pastry chef.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Thomas Thayer Guest

The hip & ridge tiles are acceptable assuming the underlayment is correct. However, the valley cut tiles are cut too close for proper debris flow.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks guys.

Remo

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Thayer View Post
    The hip & ridge tiles are acceptable ...
    I would only say that if I KNEW the manufacturer of the tile and I KNEW that the installation complied with the installation instructions ... and that would mean that I had to have a copy of the installation instructions to read.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com