Thread: Second thoughts

Default Second thoughts

(Brian, I don't see a "General Discussion" area, so I put this here.)

-----------

What to you do when, weeks or months after inspection, you have second thoughts about how you reported something of potential importance to the client.

Say, for example, you take a fireplace class, and realize that you failed to recognize and report that the chimney termination was incorrect for a wood burning fireplace, or you are reviewing old photos for another reason and realize that the proximity of a cold air return just around the corner from a furnace might create a hazardous situation (both are theoreticials, created for this discussion, but I assume most of us have actually had this sort of experience).

Do you communicate with client, formally or informally? Provide an amended report? Or just "let sleeping dogs lay"?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Tim Moreira Guest

Default Re: Second thoughts

If that much time has elapsed, I would let the "sleeping dog lay"

I would think that too much time has gone by to issue an addendum to your report and if you do mention it at a later date you will be creating a whole bunch of problems for your self.

What would you say to the person? Kinda awkward situation if you ask me.

My agreement has a statement that allows me to modify my report for up to 5 business days. This way and I have already did this once before, I can issue and addendum without too much worries.

Last edited by Tim Moreira; 04-02-2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Left out last line.

I think if I found out something new, that was VERY important, AND would REALLY affect my client (or possibly end up in court), I would notify my client and all parties invloved of the "new information".

I too, have a few days to change my report built into my contract. I have changed things a few times.

I can't recall any time that something came up that was so new, and so important for me to come back and notify everyone.

JF

Tim Moreira Guest

Jack,

What does your license plate say?

I can only make out the 'Jack' part.

Just curious.

Last edited by Tim Moreira; 04-03-2007 at 03:08 PM. Reason: changed you to your

I can't recall when I might have ever had a thought like that. Heck I have a hard time even remembering an inspection from last week and when I get real busy I can't recall anything over a few days.

Now with that said I look back at my first 500 or 1000 inspections and what I learned prior and after those and I wonder why I'm still in business! You will learn something in a year from now that if you had known about it you would have reported it in one of your reports.

Everyday is a learning experience and with over 4500 inspections under my belt I'm still learning. I learned something yesterday about ABS being used as a flue pipe.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Within a few days, send out an addendum to the report.
    After closing, honestly it would have to be a big safety concern for me to bring it up.
    I have never had that experience, but if we don't know how to do a better inspection today than we did when we first started, what are we doing spending time here?
    Jim

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Tim,
    The license plate is JACNSPX

Or Jack Inspects
    JF

If you decide to use TIMNSPX, then I would expect a royalty, something in the form of liquid refreshment shall we ever cross paths.
    JF

Tim Moreira Guest

Jack,

Chu gottit man!!!

I have ice cold coors light on tap at my home 24/7 if that's your thing.

I would be *my honor* to buy you a drink of your choice if we should ever meet.

Phillip Smith Guest

Scott,
    Please inform us what you found out about the ABS pipe being used as a flue pipe.

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

Michael,

Once your inspections get into the thousands, (maybe you have) look back and wonder if you caught if every little flaw or defect.
    It's impossible.
    Now if it's a safety issue you may consider a follow up visit.
    But if your gonna loose sleep over weather or not you reported something correctly, that will drive you nuts.
    If a previous client calls of course you have to look back, otherwise
    you gotta learn that once you click send, it's time to focus on the next one.

Aaron Flook Guest

Hello everyone,

I have taken a break from message boards and have just come back. I was quite taken with this questions. Questions like this help you make your busness policies and procedures.

I have done several thousand inspectons, and I do look back on them, usually with a mixture of humor and and a great deal of trepidation. Some of my earliest clients are now recommending me to their grandchildren. ( that sucks) I can not understand how they can do that with the knowledge I have now.

That being said, I have never had a problem with the method or report that I produced, but with my craftmanship. The substance of the reports have been consistant, however, I relate the issues much better. I can not see something coming up so earthshattering that I would kick a sleeping dog. However, it would only be something that would endanger my client.

I have inspected furnaces or appliances that have been later recalled, in this regard I alway inform my past clients with my newsletter. I would not go back over every report because of a product recall

Aaron Flook
    AM Inspection Service, LLC