Bill Williamson Guest

Default Roof to wall flashing/counter flashing ?

Hello to all from a new poster who needs information.

Have new construction with roof to wall intersection. Step flashing installed with hardboard siding used as counter flashing. Shingles are touching siding. I believe there should be gap of 1 1/2" to 2" between shingles and siding to prevent wicking.

If correct, could someone direct me to a "source" to document the gap requirement.

My first thought was code, but couldn't find gap requirement in 2006 IRC for roof to wall flashing.

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Roof to wall flashing/counter flashing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Williamson View Post
    Hello to all from a new poster who needs information.

Have new construction with roof to wall intersection. Step flashing installed with hardboard siding used as counter flashing. Shingles are touching siding. I believe there should be gap of 1 1/2" to 2" between shingles and siding to prevent wicking.

If correct, could someone direct me to a "source" to document the gap requirement.

My first thought was code, but couldn't find gap requirement in 2006 IRC for roof to wall flashing.

Thanks in advance for comments/suggestions.
    Welcome aboard Bill.

The subject has been beat to death several times on this forum. You should be able to find it with a search.

If you would rather, you can Google Hardie siding (that's what I think you have?). Hardie has installation instructions that are for different areas of the country. I think 2" is what Hardie wants as a space from shingles, but you will need to verify by location.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

chris mcintyre Guest

If it is Hardi siding you are in hz10 and the requirement is 1" to 2", there is also a kick out flashing required at the bottom.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/insta...plank-hz10.pdf

Trim looks like Miratec to me and it is required to be 1" from the shingles.

http://www.miratectrim.com/pdf/Installation.pdf

The manufactures installation instructions, in essence, are the code. So once you are sure who makes the product.....

Bill Williamson Guest

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Vern, before posting I did a search and reviewed several post. They didn't, however, seem to answer my question.

Chris, thanks, will use mfg's installation instructions as source.

In the second picture the step flashing is on decking. Was the underlayment placed under the flashing ( before shingles installed) and if so how was it secured ?

Jeff Moore AZ Cert#49250
    Level II Thermographer
    http:www.quantumhomeinspections.com

Bill Williamson Guest

Jeff,

Unable to answer your question. The second pic is actually the first one taken. Went back the second day after pic taken and roofing had been installed (the first pic).

Underlayment was visible at eave and under flashing. It appears roofer slid the underlayment under the flashing but can't tell how fastened.

I just started doing new construction inspections with this builder and have a few little kinks we will need to work out with him

Is it common practice for the siding to be installed before the roof covering in some areas of the country?

I'll also chime in on the absent kick out flashing that Chris mentioned. If not present, it's a point of water entry.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

No kickouts, no soffit vent, no gap between shingles and siding, no counterflashing (maybe not required, but should be. At least use a piece of removeable siding so it can be removed for reroofing), no visible ridge vent or roof drip edge.

Did they use a good roof underlayment? How about foundation waterproofing and french drains?

I would also check for pan flashing under windows and doors, head flashing integrated with house wrap, proper deck flashing with end dams and chimney cap, crickets, step flashing and kickouts.

Looks like typical construction- by most contractors. You have more than a few kinks bo work out. Good luck!

Mike Minigh
    MoistureTech
    304-904-6055