Default Hinged Rafter Construction

Yesterday I was in the attic of a modular home with hinged rafters. I rarely see this type of construction in my area and I don't have any good resources for modular construction.
    I am looking for comments on this method of construction.
    Does anyone have any good resource materials detailing the common types of hinged roof systems and what to look for during the inspection?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Greg Jenkins

Default Re: Hinged Rafter Construction

Those are interesting pics. I see some of the roofing nails they used on the hinges are pulling out. Now that the structure is up, should those folding members be reinforced? I think it goes back to the manufacturer and the design team. They will say it's all fine as long as there's no sign of movement.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Each manufacturer uses a different methodology for their hinge systems. Your best bet is to access the installation manual supplied by the factoryr--if the current owner does not have it, the factory is usually pretty good about supplying it upon request. Mod builders and HUD code builders also frequently modify hinge systems among their various models. It is also likely that they may use alternative methods in different factories, in companies with multiple locations. The bottom line is the manual produced for the specific home you're looking at defines the methodology.

One comment I would make regarding the home in your photo, is to say that many, if not most factory builders require the bridging of the hinged member. The size of the "scab" and number and size of nails will also be specified. Reason being, the hinge alone is not an adequate support for the "pieced" framing member.

All that being said, there are far more homes without the bridging installed than with--once assembled, the system works pretty well, even when not properly done.

WOW -

I have never seen anything like this.

Almost no manufactured homes in my service area.

I'm not going to comment on them..........
    But I'm not impressed.

mf - something to research.

Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by matt faust View Post
    WOW -

I have never seen anything like this.

Almost no manufactured homes in my service area.

I'm not going to comment on them..........
    But I'm not impressed.

mf - something to research.
    What happens if there is a issue with them I don't know that there is but what if?

Ken Bates Guest

I have attended several presentations/lectures for modular homes.

My knowledge is still fuzzy.

What I do know is that a lot depends on who actually puts them together.

Factory work is probably good and manufacturers pimps convince you of that with carefully created images, etc.

However, in the field I have always found questionble fastening details, etc.

So, fellow inspectors, BEWARE and do not hesitate to defer responsibility to stuctural engineers when you see even the slightest clue that the final assembly was undertaken by incompetents.

You pictures show fairly common practice of manufactured homes. As some of the previous replies have stated you best information will come from the manufacturer. The information should have been on the data plate of the home or the owner will have the name of the manufacturer. They can provide all of the information as to what changes would be required once the home was set on site and the roof was pivoted after transport. Clayton homes have a good website but there are plenty of other resources available.
    Clayton Homes | Installation Manuals | Manufactured Homes, Modular Homes, Mobile Home

Jeff Zehnder - Home Inspector, Raleigh, NC
    http://www.jjeffzehnder.com/
    http://carolinahomeinspections.com/

Leigh Goodman Guest

Just to clarify one detail in these posts; Modular home and manufactured home are not synonyms. Manufactured house is built to a different code than modular house.
    Manufactured house is built to HUD cod. Modular is built to satisfy the local building code, is shipped to the site in pieces and is assembled on site. A lot of confusion can ensue when manufactured is described as modular.

Leigh, Good point. I have only seem a few of these in NY and ALL were reinforced at the joint.

I don't think I would want that in my house if I lived in a high wind area or in an earthquake zone! So all I really have to worry about is snow load I guess.

Bobby Skinner Guest

From what I have seen here locally here in TN each member of a "hinged" roofing member is suppose to have a scab or a "sister" attached to the hinged piece of wood.

Manufactured is on wheels and steel chassis where modular is wood and no wheels. They tried to make manufactured home sound better then mobile home. I think they should of left it alone and called them what they are........Mobile by wheels or tornado

Another distinction is mobile is typically 2/3 studs, no attic and thin paneling or Sheetrock. where modular typically uses conventional materials. I know some of the new mobiles are using better materials though so no flak

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Hi Greg
    I see these often in my neck of New England and many are mfg in Pa. They do have different building codes than stick built homes. The trusses your showing are often reinforced by metal pleats at any chord splices.. However I still see them show movement and will point this out to clients. Often making the recommendation to use wood to reinforce them or have a structural engineer further assess. Depends on the extent of movement.

I have never seen anything like that before. From the photos it looks pretty obvious that gussets or metal ties are needed at the hinged splices.