Default boiler heated water heater

Hi guys: I found this 14 years water heater & reported as high possible of failure in short term. the owner was not happy & said he has another one in other house for 20 yrs still working. How do you guys report this?

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Default Re: boiler heated water heater

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Hi guys: I found this 14 years water heater & reported as high possible of failure in short term. the owner was not happy & said he has another one in other house for 20 yrs still working. How do you guys report this?

Thanks
    Why would you say this about an indirect water heater or an insulated storage tank?

Was/is there some detail about THIS water heater and/or boiler set up? (You provide no details or pictures) for the particular circumstance?

Indirect water heaters can last for decades upon decades.

Electric water heaters on chlorinated town water supply around here have a short life span, average 11 years. Gas water heaters on chlorinated water last a bit longer. On well water, no chlorine, these tanks can last for decades, especially if they are high quality tanks. What you describe is none of these, but a boiler-supplied storage tank. HG is correct. No sign of failure, move on.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

You do need to give more specifics about system.

A good boiler that is well maintained can last can last 50 - 60- 80 years. The type of transfer mechanism for the creation of the hot water is just one variable in predicting longevity . Summarily stating that 14 yrs is a criteria for predicting a failure is wrong.

James Duffin Guest

For me the biggest concern with domestic hot water heated by a boiler is to be sure there is some type of tempering device to control the water temperature at the faucet. I would report the age of the unit and that it worked properly at the inspection. I would not try to predict the future.

Thank you guys a lesson to me. Actually I did not see anything wrong on this indirect water heater. This was the first IWH I have ever seen. In my area, the conventional Gas water heater can last 6-10 years some even more to 15. But I always write down high possibility of failure once over 8 years. This one 60 Gal is at least 14 years in the big family with another rental unit. The boiler 150,000 BTU/6 zones is not well maintained. That is why I put down the possibility of failure is high. I have searched on line the whole day & read all you guys posts. Frankly, this is my ignorance.
    The pics are not good but may have a look. 120 psi is for fire suppression.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Peter Louis; 11-18-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Phil Brody Guest

Don't see anything in the picture that indicates failure is eminent. Some things not done accepted standards but would not cause failure. Gas boilers here typically last 30- 50 years, way too long.

Agree w/ Phil about no major concerns (based on your photos). Phil, Just out of curiosity what things did you see in the photos that were NOT done to acceptable stds?

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

James Duffin Guest

I would be concerned with having 120 psi on the polybutene that is shown in the picture with the gauge.

Evan Grugett Guest

The copper tubing gas supply pipe coming right into the boiler connection would be called out around here. It should be black iron.
    The clearances around the tank seem to be marginal from the photo.
    It appears that there is a zone valve for the Indirect HWH boiler supply. They use circulators for this here, even if the heating zones are on a zone valve.

I agree no real issues a little rust at nipple . Wiring a little messy. Explain the `120 psi. Is 120 psi the house pressure?

Notice the valve in the polyb. piping with the 120 psi reading... the valve is closed!!???

Here in Santa Fe about 70 percent of heating is hydronic boiler. I see boilers lasting 20 to 30+ years. The old work horse cast irons 30 to 40+ is not unusual.

By the color of the unit it appears to be a Super Hot by Allied Engineering.

Mini-Gas Boiler - Products for Hydronic Heating Systems - Allied Engineering Company

The key to life expectancy of any boiler is the heat exchanger material / design. They warranty the heat exchanger for 10 years.

As with any product installation is critical

- rated / sized for heated area; infloor or radiators (IBR rating)
    - shouldn't be in a corrosive environment.
    - circulating loop piping should have "oxygen-barrier" (inhibitor) i.e. PEX (oxygen promotes corrosion)
    - temp /pressure relief valve required
    - monitor for scaling (poor water quality)
    - etc. etc. etc

A boiler system is a closed loop system water should be verified for pH and after initial setup should need very little additional water and chemical additives may void the warranty. (So local water conditions should be addressed at installation) BTW same for fast recovery hot water heaters.

The storage unit for domestic hot water is isolated from the boiler water via the heat exchanger inside the storage tank. Very often these units are stainless steel or glass lined and have longer life expectancy than average water heater.

The domestic hot water should have a priority control over the domestic heat and should be installed with proper control (over ride) and circulating pump.

The system preventive maintenance recommended by the manufacturer should be strictly followed.

Charles @ PreVue Property Inspections, Santa Fe, NM
    http://www.prevuepropertyinspections.com/
    "How can someone with glasses so thick be so stupid?"

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Smith View Post
    Notice the valve in the polyb. piping with the 120 psi reading... the valve is closed!!???
    I agree the valve is closed but it might be opened one day so I would still consider it a concern in my report.

To add to the things "not kosher" spotted in the photos, make-up water should be fed on the supply side (outgoing to system) rather than into the return into the boiler. that way there is plenty of time for the make-up water to temper so that there isn't a shot of cold water hitting the exchanger.