Thread: Notched joist

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Notched joist

Approximately 3 inches was notched out of the middle span of this joist. What is the max allowable for notching the middle third, 1/6 or 1/3? I cant remember.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Notched joist

Long day, I gues pics would help

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

You can't notch ANY part in the middle third of the span.

Yep, no notching in the middle third.
    The only time I've seen subfloor material like that is in manufactured homes-- what is it?

mathew stouffer Guest

Built in 76. I think it may have been at one time but there have been some custom touches added.

David Bell Guest

Good old particle board sub floor, expands to 1.5 times its normal width when wet. Then disintegrates.

To answer your second question, it is 1/6 the joist or 1.5" in this case.

"R502.8.1 Sawn lumber.
    Notches in solid lumber joists, rafters and beams shall not exceed one-sixth of the depth of the member, shall not be longer than one-third of the depth of the member and shall not be located in the middle one-third of the span. Notches at the ends of the member shall not exceed one-fourth the depth of the member. The tension side of members 4 inches (102 mm) or greater in nominal thickness shall not be notched except at the ends of the members. The diameter of holes bored or cut into members shall not exceed one-third the depth of the member. Holes shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the top or bottom of the member, or to any other hole located in the member. Where the member is also notched, the hole shall not be closer than 2 inches (51 mm) to the notch."

Partical board for flooring. not a good idea, as to the notching also not a good idea. something not asked too is what is the span of the notched joist? this has a bearing how safe it is too. if it is a short span I wouldn't worry too much but a large span is of major concern. Also what was that wire there and it looked like it wasn't secured properly too.

David Valley Guest

Image of joist notching allowed....

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Great drawing, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Approximately 3 inches was notched out of the middle span of this joist. What is the max allowable for notching the middle third, 1/6 or 1/3? I cant remember.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...854-post3.html

Mat,
    Are you in the Home Inspection business?
    If yes;
    Do you maintain a personal library for reference?
    Do you keep any code or other reference materials in your vehicle when you go on an inspection?
    Do you take a laptop with you to your inspections?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Since when is the IRC used to inspect post 74 legislation/post 1976 eff. date manufactured homes (a.k.a. coach homes, mobile homes, trailers, single-wides/double-wides, etc.)?

Federal Register for the code which such are made. If the registration number hasn't been pulled or altered.

You'll find that 76 date on all, current (post effective 74 legislation Fed. Standard) manufactured homes and referenced a few places usually, not the same as actual mfg date, for that you have to distinguish on the registration tag/plate.

Just love it when you find NM unsecured, draped below joists & wrapped around a metal water pipe section don't you? Notching/hacking, particle/mdf board sub floor and bracing, ABS DWV, bad copper joints and PB pipe, bonanza!

What custom touches besides the hacked plumbing repairs and elect.modification?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-20-2010 at 01:17 PM.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Mat,
    If yes;
    Do you keep any code or other reference materials in your vehicle when you go on an inspection?

OOooh, Ouch. Question number 1. Don't read much on the site or visit regularly until perhaps recently, Huh, Garry Sorrells?

Question 2, No comment, except: "Brace yourself for impact!". (Been there, )

Questions 3 & 4, Who cares what he carries in his vehicle or at inspection, if he's finalizing reporting off-site or in personal space afterwards?!? Some walk around with a camera and digital recorder without a laptop or checklist program, why is this relevant to you?

mathew stouffer Guest

Gary I asked a simple question,yes it was very simple. I dont need to deal with **** from you. If you don't like the question move on.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Long day, I gues pics would help

Mathew,
    The crack in the board coming from the left is also a concern. Yes?
    And remember, the overcuts are part of the notch measurement. Think of a cut in a board as a very narrow notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Mat,
    If yes;

Mat,
    Not intended as snotty question. Sorry to offend you. Thin skinned? Ego issues? Question was intended to see what others maintain for reference when the mind gets fuzzy. A butcher, baker and a candle stick maker could have the same question, just curious where you were coming from.

Yes it was a simple question you asked.
    You may have added what the span was since that would affect the rating for the remaining wood left after notching. If it was over engineered and then notched, leaving sufficient lumber to meet span requirement then notch may be a non issue.

I am always on the look out for reference info. I have condensed code charts, books, downloaded county-state-national building code, journal articles, manufacture installation instructions, etc. and the list keeps growing thanks to the electronic age. I even have reference books dated from 1910 (wife's grand father was a mason, builder, teacher), not that I will need the load factors to build a buttressed wall for a cathedral, but there is other information included. Knowledge is strength.