Pat Carson Guest

Default Crazed Safety Glass

Would west exposure allow enough heat buildup to cause this sidelight to craze? Acabinet has been placed in front of the glass. The sidelight on the opposite side of the front door is unaffected. It's my thinking that heat is trapped by the furniture and the buildup caused the safety glass to craze. Any thoughts?
    PB181119.jpg

PB181121.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Crazed Safety Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Carson View Post
    Would west exposure allow enough heat buildup to cause this sidelight to craze? Acabinet has been placed in front of the glass. The sidelight on the opposite side of the front door is unaffected. It's my thinking that heat is trapped by the furniture and the buildup caused the safety glass to craze. Any thoughts?
    PB181119.jpg

PB181121.jpg
    It is not "crazed" it is broken! My best guess is that a rock was slung by a week whacker or the lawnmower. I did it once upon a time with the exact same results. It was not caused by heat, that is man made!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Pat Carson Guest

I considered a rock but all 5 lights are broken and there is no impact mark. Is it common for there to be one continuous pane separated by muntins?

I would also call that broke. If it is one piece of vertical glass I would think impact. Moving furniture, drunk uncle fell into it etc. If it is actually 5 separate pieces of glass I would think either manufacturing defect or possibly load defect from above. Bad lintel allowing weight to sag down on that end, too tight of an install, something like that.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Carson View Post
    I considered a rock but all 5 lights are broken and there is no impact mark. Is it common for there to be one continuous pane separated by muntins?
    That looks like a common thermal sidelight. It looks like the muntins are just inserts between the panes of glass. If this is the case then it is just one continuous piece of glass. You do not have to see an impact point for the glass to break.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Pat Carson Guest

Thanks, Scott.

Ever notice cracked windows in a home that has foundation movement?

Another thing which can crack the glass is for the glass to be installed in openings which are not truly 'in plane', when the glass is installed the glass is 'flexed' or 'warped' out of being flat, then it is just a matter of time before the glass cracks.

There are many reasons for the glass to crack, the above reasons, and those given in the posts above, are just some of the reasons.

Another reason could be that a nail for the trim just touch the edge of the glass as it was driven in, and, over time, that can cause the glass to crack.

With 5 panes cracked I would suspect an installation error or some type of structural movement (and not just settling, could be wind loading) caused the glass to crack.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Definitely one piece GBG (grids/grilles between the glass). Tempered glass is most susceptible on the edges, so someone trying to adjust a door by putting a long screw or a 16d finish nail in the jamb could have easily done this.

I hear it's a terrible feeling when you hear a little 'tink' then look to see the glass shattered.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    Definitely one piece GBG (grids/grilles between the glass). Tempered glass is most susceptible on the edges, so someone trying to adjust a door by putting a long screw or a 16d finish nail in the jamb could have easily done this.

I hear it's a terrible feeling when you hear a little 'tink' then look to see the glass shattered.
    It kind of sounds like a little bubble wrap sheet being crushed.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    It kind of sounds like a little bubble wrap sheet being crushed.
    This knowledge comes from experience?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I happen to own a window and door company.
    so a know a little about that...................
    And Scott, Jerry and Chris are right.

The cheapest thing to do is replace the whole system.

I think the lawn mower weed whacker scenario is most likely.
    Ever tried to break TSG - very difficult to do.

Oh yeah - Scott is also right on with the screw/nail idea - as a finish carpenter
    I have seen back sets drilled too deep with that result.
    That's what happens when a door is trimmed tooooo far!

mf

Last edited by matt faust; 11-20-2010 at 07:21 PM.
    Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector