Joe Bolger Guest

Default Concrete Patio height to Backdoor

In order to allieviate some drainage issues in our backyard I am thinking about raising the current concrete patio we have. Currently the hieght from the concrete to the bottom of the backdoor is 4 inches. If I raise the concrete up to almost level with the backdoor is that a violation? I am creating a slope to push the water away from the house and it will be close to 4 inches higher than the current patio. With some french drains installed I should be alright but if thei is a code against the height of the door to outsie landing must be greater than x I 'll have to take a different path.

Lakeland, TN

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Concrete Patio height to Backdoor

Yes, you need that 4" of space above the patio.

No, you do not need that 4" of space above the patio.

If you were handicapped and had to raise the patio for accessibility, then the maximum height difference allowed would be 1/4", and even that 1/4" height would require a beveled edge, and a height of 1/2" would need to be beveled at 2:1 (i.e., the bevel would be 1" run for the 1/2" height difference), and if the height difference was greater than 1/2" then it would need to be treated as a ramp and would need to meet the maximum slope of a ramp.

That would be the exception which could be applied by the building official to allow for no height difference.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bolger View Post
    If I raise the concrete up to almost level with the backdoor is that a violation?
    No violation but, IMO, if the patio is not covered by a roof then it would not be a good idea. Even with slope on the concrete blowing rain, water splashing against the door or snow/ice building up and leaking into the house as it melts are just a few reasons I would look at other options.

I don't know what type of construction you have but I would be cautious if you have wood framing in the floor. By raising the concrete you'd be covering the woodwork. In my experience, this will generally retain moisture in the wood and lead to decay. It's common here for landscapers to put in brick pavers on top of concrete landings thereby covering kick plates, trim and siding. It may look pretty but it wreaks havoc down the road.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL