Katherine Abernathy Guest

Default Drip edge beneath eaves sheathing. Photo.

Roofers put drip edge along our eaves. The fascia is forward from and lower than the sheathing, & the drip edge is UNDER the sheathing. Have you ever seen this? Outdoors, I haven't seen nails nailing the d.e. into the fascia. So what's holding the d.e. up? Glue? Comments please. Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Drip edge beneath eaves sheathing. Photo.

The dripedge flashing is supposed to be installed in between the felt paper and roof sheathing. Do you have any pictures from the exterior..... this sounds very odd.

EDITED TO ADD: No, I have never seen this, and it is wrong.

Brandon is correct.

And I also wonder if there isn't more going on.

The fascia should be installed lower than the roof surface,
    as if you laid a straight edge on the roof sheeting and
    fastened the fascia at the point where it's outside edge intersected
    the straight edge, coming off the roof.

I see a wood grain in white material in your picture.
    is that the back of the fascia or what?

I would assume that the roofer, or who ever did the work,
    bought a drip edge that was too small and tried to install
    it anyway.

Which is key, as Brandon points out, the underlayment must shingle
    over the drip edge.

mf

Last edited by matt faust; 11-20-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Looks like site brake aluminum capping for facia/ridge board inserted under roof decking from inside roof assembly view, under deck, not anything to do with drip edge or gutter. Not picking up on fact set presented vs. I/S picture and prior topic string. Just not computing no O/S pics not spending the wooden nickel yet, fish out another pickle from the barrel please.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Abernathy View Post
    Roofers put drip edge along our eaves. The fascia is forward from and lower than the sheathing, & the drip edge is UNDER the sheathing. Have you ever seen this? Outdoors, I haven't seen nails nailing the d.e. into the fascia. So what's holding the d.e. up? Glue? Comments please. Thanks.

"So what's holding the d.e. up?"

Luck.

From your photo ... nothing but "luck" is holding that drip edge up, and even "luck" is having a hard time holding that drip edge up.

The list of 'what is wrong' with that installation of drip edge is too long to list here (the previous posts covered some of the issues), but, the list of 'what is right' is right with that installation is an easy list to make.
    - List of 'what is right' with that drip edge installation:
    - - a)

(There is NOTHING right with that installation of drip edge. )

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for the replies.

Brandon, I do not have a close up of that flashing from the exterior. I returned the big zoom lens but think I can get a pretty good picture if I stand on a ladder.

Matt, yes, it's the back of the fascia. Our fascia is Versatex, which is PVC, and it is smooth on one side and wood grained on the other. We have the smooth on the outside.

H.G., I do not know what I/S and O/S mean or what site brake aluminum is. It sounds as though you may be wondering if this flashing was put on to cover the gap, and altogether different flashing is along the outside. I wondered about that, too, but figured (perhaps incorrectly) that this is the only flashing because where this flashing sags you see shingle, and sunlight through the shingle. About the wooden nickle and fish another pickle from the barrel, you lost me, but maybe you are wondering about the questions addressed at the end of the "Drip edge gap at top of gable" thread. You may have thrown up your hands and given up on that thread before that information appeared, and I certainly wouldn't blame you if that's the case.

I have several other topics to bring forward in threads, and I'm thinking it would be better not to address right at the start of each thread why I'm not asking the contractor about my concerns and why I think I need to learn these things before going to him, and that, in fact, I have already hired an imminent house inspector and a representative from a well thought of roofer to give me their assessments of our roof. Both assessments were extremely brief and incomplete, missed a lot, were wrong about one thing I specifically asked about, and had opposite opinions on another thing I specifically asked about.

If you guys advise me to put a summary like that at the start of each new thread, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Someone will probably be able to come here on Monday, climb all the way up to that eave and tell us and get pictures of exactly what is happening on the outside.

chris mcintyre Guest

Most builders use a sub facia along the eaves seeing the PVC facia nailed directly to the ends of the rafters got me curious so I went to the Vesatex site and:

Support Spacing

VERSATEX must not be used in load bearing applications, but it may be used in spanned applications such as soffits and ceilings. When used as a fascia, apply a structural sub fascia first.
    The builder did use plywood sheathing which is an upgrade from the OSB that most use.

THANK YOU, Chris!

Katherine

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Katherine,

I/S means inside
    O/S means outside.
    Not spending my wooden nickel yet = merchants would give out wooden "nickels" like tokens or pogs to be redeemed only at their store, usually for merchandise, such as crackers from the cracker barrel, or a pickle from the pickle barrel.
    Fish out another pickle from the barrel = (more pics, need outside view don't want to make a choice or spout on opinion until I see MORE photos "pickles")

I'm an old guy, used analogies and references unfortunate to my generation. I'm also a goof for a good pun... or play on words, and suspect you were "in a pickle" so to speak regards your subcontractor fiasco.

I hunted down the other thread that you recently added outside pictures to...Cripes!!! That's what I'd call "A Mell of a Hess!"

Site (on-sight) broke/brake - that is to use flat coil metal stock and bend/form it on the job site, - the 10' long or so "bending" tool is called a "brake". Not to mention the use of pre-formed and installed WRONG.

Apparently what is holding this up is the top was bent over and inserted - and with the assistance of some blue painter's tape to tack it up there... maybe some double-sided tape, geezus!

This kind of "work" is what I'd expect to see in other parts of the country by folks who return to your region in the off season (the famous "travelers" a.k.a. "gypsies", etc.).

I just saw the pics you finally posted on your first thread!

I'm guessing the O/S (outside) view of the area you posted an I/S (inside) view photo on this string...looks something like one of the following (from your first thread):

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-21-2010 at 05:23 PM.

H.G. thank you for the information of various kinds. And who wouldn't be charmed by your analogies, references, and puns? Actually, the drip edge for that part of the house looks nice, outside.

Regarding Chris's information, that's really hair-raising, because the remodeling company salesman told me they always hang the gutters about 22" on center, which means if we had gone ahead, paid no attention, and just let them continue on they would have hung gutter weight on that PVC fascia, which has no sub fascia anywhere. Fortunately, we had planned to insist on their screwing the gutter hangers into the rafters; otherwise, that would have been bad.

This is not a new house. It was built in 1989. This has been a renovation project, all with the same company, starting last December with the roof. Then siding, windows, paint, and came time in July to do gutters & they said, Where do you want the downspouts? For the first time, I started scrutinizing that area. Before, we had been extremely pleased because we think the shingles themselves are just beautiful, especially after our old shingles. Plus, (a) we were busy with other things in life and (b) we didn't know anything about roofing and trusted they'd do it right. We did notice that the shingle overhang was bigger than before, and I asked about that and they told me that was ideal. Also, the flashing over the garage was funny looking (not bunged up but odd) but what did we know? Anyway, when it came time for gutters & downspouts I started focusing in on that area and saw the UGLY drip edge on some parts of the house. And some other sloppy work. I told them to hold off on the gutters and have been working on getting a handle on this ever since.

I tremendously appreciate your help.

Katherine

I'm looking at this material - I have never seen anything like it here in CA.
    Except as the top portion of a Vinyl siding system.

This stuff appears to be stuck on (self adhesing), especially the last pic.
    From what I have seen the product is badly designed and the install
    is sub standard.
    Worse yet - it appears that it may not be doing its job.
    If your in an ASHI state I would get a top ASHI inspector, and I would consent
    to an invasive inspection, although it may not be necessary, or if so, not
    a very large area.

This stuff looks more decorative than protective.
    mf

Matt Faust
    Real Estate Inspector

Bruce Adams Guest

Katherine
    It looks like you have many problems with this roof. As I said in your other post to contact HAAG Engineering to get someone out to inspect your roof HAAG engineering out of Tampa, FL. 1-800-218-8886.
    Bruce

Richard Pultar Guest

go for a money settlement . move on and and get a local craftsman to clean up the mess. Stay away from salesmen with sub contractors.