Katherine Abernathy Guest

Default Splayed singles at rake/eave corners. Photos.

A Certainteed representative told me that when someone cuts back shingles along eaves, the seals between the layers of individual shingles are also cut back.

Do you suppose that is the explanation for the splayed shingles in these photographs?

Would these splayed shingles be more vulnerable to blow off? Early deterioration? Fire?

Thanks.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Splayed singles at rake/eave corners. Photos.

You either need a new camera or a longer ladder! Can't see anything definitive.

chris mcintyre Guest

I'm not exactly sure what a splayed shingle is or looks like, but the first picture is showing 3 different shingles: starter shingle up the rake, starter shingle on the eave and the first course of course.

Something seems to be going on with the trim below the shingles also? Especially seen in the picture on the far right.

That is some sorry drip edge application, looks like they tried to whack the new drip edge under the existing shingles and it wasn't properly nailed. If the series of posts is all of the same roof, I hope you recommended a roofer check it out (I'm sure you did).
    I, personally wouldn't go much further than that, just list my suspicions and recommend a roofer.
    Trying to list every defect on a bad roof is a loosing cause and probably a liability nightmare. On the other hand, If you are trying to further your own knowledge, I understand.
    I can't tell you much more than the drip edge looks like crap and they should have removed the original layer of shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    That is some sorry drip edge application, looks like they tried to whack the new drip edge under the existing shingles and it wasn't properly nailed. If the series of posts is all of the same roof, I hope you recommended a roofer check it out (I'm sure you did).
    I, personally wouldn't go much further than that, just list my suspicions and recommend a roofer.
    Trying to list every defect on a bad roof is a loosing cause and probably a liability nightmare. On the other hand, If you are trying to further your own knowledge, I understand.
    I can't tell you much more than the drip edge looks like crap and they should have removed the original layer of shingles.
    OP IS HOME OWNER.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yes, the drip edge is a mess in places. Thanks, Chris, for explaining what I am looking at. Is the bottom line that those spaces between layers are okay and won't make the shingles more vulnerable to blow off? I would have thought there shouldn't be spaces, but, as you know, my roofing knowledge is meagre. That's why I'm asking these things.

Thanks.

Ben--
    They did remove the original layer of shingles. All the shingles are new. I can't believe the drip edge is new--there is a section that even has notches cut out of it. By "looks like they tried to whack the new drip edge under the existing shingles and it wasn't properly nailed" do you mean it looks as though the drip edge was stuck in there without being nailed at all? That is a distinct possibility, since in some other places (reachable places; this spot is inaccessible for me indoors and outdoors) it is impossible for the drip edge to reach the deck, and it doesn't.

Some parts of the roof actually look nice.

Wow, that is really bad!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Just curious about two different threads about roofs.

Are you really a home owner or are you just on a fishing expedition? Why did you not put all questions under one thread? Something is amiss !

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Just curious about two different threads about roofs.

Are you really a home owner or are you just on a fishing expedition? Why did you not put all questions under one thread? Something is amiss !
    Ya think!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted, yes, I'm a home owner, and there are more than two threads. My thinking was that it would be easier, clearer, to deal with each issue separately. My thinking was that putting them all together would be a big mess. Jerry has pointed out that I got it backwards -- having all these separate threads is a mess. Live and learn.

I just posted a thread with background information on why I've been asking these questions.