Default Tub spout sealing

Do you write up loose and or unsealed tub spouts ?

I rarely see a tight fitting, apparently water tight tub spout.

...need a reality check to make sure I'm not pissing in the wind here....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Tub spout sealing

yes i do

Evan Grugett Guest

That should be called out in the inspection report. I find this condition not infrequently. Leaks can occur when shower spray runs down the tiled wall into the spout and the pipe penetration through the tile. The spout, as well as the faucet escutcheons should be caulked & sealed water tight.

How do you know that the caulking/sealing has not been completed at the 'pipe' penetration that you can't see?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    How do you know that the caulking/sealing has not been completed at the 'pipe' penetration that you can't see?
    You don't know that.

But, the tub spout itself should be caulked/sealed to the tile (or to whatever surface is there) to keep the water running down the wall from entering in behind the tub spout. Now, for water leaking out the back of the tub spout, well, that is a different matter.

Seal around the top 3/4 or more of the tub spout, leaving a little at the bottom open so as to allow any water which did get in to drain out.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Assuming that Robert is asking specifically about a spout installed in a tub or a continuous tub/surround (as opposed to one installed in a tiled wall) I call them out every time - around here, especially at older properties, there is often no access to inspect the spout/overflow area at the exterior of the tub, and water damage can be extensive before it becomes apparent at finished areas below and/or opposite the tub's end.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-29-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I write it up every time. Around here if they don't caulk the tub spout to the wall, it is unlikely and usually visible that they didn't caulk the hole either. I've seen way too much damage because of that open hole. I recommend the client caulk as Jerry mentioned.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Assuming that Robert is asking specifically about a spout installed in a tub or a continuous tub/surround (as opposed to one installed in a tiled wall) I call them out every time - around here, especially at older properties, there is often no access to inspect the spout/overflow area at the exterior of the tub, and water damage can be extensive before it becomes apparent at finished areas below and/or opposite the tub's end.
    I was asking about all the above....tub spouts in tile walls, continuous surrounds, etc....anywhere there is a shower head installed in the same location that provides a means for frequently wetting the wall where the spout is located. Up to now I had not differentiated between tile walls, as you mention, and smooth prefab surrounds.

Michael, do you inspect/write up the spout differently depending on wall material?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Assuming that Robert is asking specifically about a spout installed in a tub or a continuous tub/surround (as opposed to one installed in a tiled wall) I call them out every time ...

I would hope so ... any "spout installed in a tub " ... is a health hazard as the spout is required to be above the flood level rim of the tub, probably a minimum of 2" above the flood level rim of the tub.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Michael, do you inspect/write up the spout differently depending on wall material?
    1) I though you might be making a distinction based on material and/or location, and be asking specifically about a spout installed in a tub/surround as opposed to a tiled wall, as the former is what appears (to me) to be illustrated in your photograph.

2) I report these kinds of unsealed wall/surround penetrations somewhat differently depending on a number of factors.

For example I have different version of the basic "sealant-required" comment depending on whether I have access to the rear of a tub/surround area (common in my area to allow access to the tub overflow and often allowing inspection of the "back side" of the wall above) and can observe evidence of past or current leaks (or not), whether I can observe that a spout, valve assembly or shower arm is installed in a tiled wall over "water resistant drywall", whether the spout, shower arm etc. is significantly loose in the wall/surround, and so on.

But the basic message remains the same: lack of sealant may allow/has allowed/is allowing water entry at the spout/valve/arm/etc, and may cause/has caused/is causing damage.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-30-2010 at 04:18 AM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Thanks for the clarification...it is nice when there's an access panel and supporting evidence can be photographed.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Hi, ALL &

Yessirree --> Always, always, always !

More water that can be directed down the drain (as designed), the better...

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI