Thomas Thayer Guest

Default Sub panel feeder cables

Hello, at the risk of ridicule, I have a question to ask...

I inspected a condo unit built in 1983 yesterday, at the unit sub panel there are two additional wires attached with the feeder cables to the panel. I haven't seen this before, and I am hoping someone can shed some light on why they may be attached in that fashion? (See the attached pictures) Is it due to the alarm system? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Roger Frazee Guest

Default Re: Sub panel feeder cables

What you have there is the resourcefulness of an owner or building management or possible electrician. Regardless 'someone' has tapped the main lugs of that zinsco panel. Probably the most common reason is the panel is full and they needed another circuit or possibly two circuits.

This is not allowed.. ever, at least not in that manner. Those lugs are not allowed to have more than one conductor terminated in them ..ie.. they are not listed for 2. I'd write it something like non complaint double tap at main lugs at units load center/panelboard. Potential fire hazard. Attach your photo to the report.

From the looks of the full panel I would say someone needed to add additional circuits and there was no space for more breakers. As someone already said this is incorrect.

mike huntzinger Guest

id also mention the old Zensco panel for an upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Thayer View Post
    Hello, at the risk of ridicule,...
    Thomas - Sorry you had to start your thread that way. Unfortunately, I doubt you're alone in your trepidation. This forum has too much ridicule and not enough supportive camaraderie.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Like the others have stated it's not allowed. Were you able to find out where those 2 conductors went ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Thayer View Post
    Hello, at the risk of ridicule,

Thomas,

There are no ridiculous or stupid questions here, however, there are (at times) ... ridiculous and stupid answers given here (meaning that the ridiculing answers are stupid).

Does that mean this qualifies as a 'stupid answer' as it is ridiculing those answers?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Roger Frazee Guest

To add to Jerrys comments...

That particular issue 'double tapping main lugs' is one of the most common questions and violations shown on the forum.

To your credit you presented excellent photos that were clear and precise. No guess work needed or photo-shopping.

I had to chuckle a bit when I saw all the extra wire used on the grounded legs in that panel...

Also FWIW that is one of the neater ( wire management wise) zinsco panels I've seen considering the vintage.

"Is it due to the alarm system?"

Why do you ask?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.