Default Report type question

One of the other questions on the insurance application (besides the date stamp), was if my reports are "systems" based or "room by room".

My reports are system based, but it got me to wondering how many do the "room by room" type report.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Report type question

I used to do a room by room report but currently use a system report.

For me, the room by room made report writing easier and made for a faster inspection. However, the system report makes for a more comprehensible report for the client. For example, if there are numerous electrical problems throughout the house, the client doesn't have to search through the report (as with a room by room report) to find them. They are all under electrical system.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

mike huntzinger Guest

room by room makes it easy, like bathroom but i dont do a family room and then dinning room its all under Interior rooms

When I said room by room I meant: bedrooms, living room, dining room, hallway, etc.
    I use Inspectvue and their master library has all those sections. I use the "system" type, but it has sections for kitchens and bathrooms. The Interior section, covers all the interior rooms for doors, walls, etc.

I used to lump the electrical stuff in the bathrooms and interior section, but prefer to put all the electrical issues under the Electrical section.

I guess I do a combination of the two. I have an Electrical, Plumbing, Garage, Interior, Kitchen, Bathroom, Exterior, Foundation and Roof section.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I do each system as its own section. Each primary room gets its own page or two. I prefer the room by room method.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Mine is like Scott's, though I have no bathroom section. Bath comments go under either plumbing or interior.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Markus,
    Do you have a page for each bedroom, hallway, dining room, etc?

I have an individual page for each living, dining, bedroom, entertainment room, office, etc. The page documents the type and general condition of the floor, walls, ceiling, windows, outlets, door, closet, defects, etc, essentially everything in that room. Hallways and stairways are covered under 'General interior'.
    I come from a background of document, document, document. The debate has gone on here many times between those who document existing conditions along with defects and those who don't so much and just list defects. I'm not concerned about either being right or wrong, good or bad. Each to his own. I know another HI who rarely posts here (DC) that I have worked with, he doesn't document existing conditions virtually at all, nonetheless he does a damn good report.
    I have a few report formats that I use for different inspection types.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Hybrid system by system with kitchen and bathroom separate as it is easier for both client and inspector in my opinion.

The other rooms simply do not have as many issues and bath plus kitchen are more complex.

Our TX form is setup by system; however, my software has a room by room feature (love it). So my report ends up as a sort-of hybrid

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    One of the other questions on the insurance application (besides the date stamp), was if my reports are "systems" based or "room by room".

My reports are system based, but it got me to wondering how many do the "room by room" type report.
    Any idea why they ask and if they somehow grade you based on which you use ?

Ted Menelly Guest

The reality is that you are naming the room a concern is in whether it be system or room by room. In the end it is all room by room.

If there is a large red stain from a marker in the master bedroom carpet then that is what you note under the floor section.

If a door has a whole punched in it you are going to be naming which room the door belongs to.

I am curious as to why your insurance asks those questions.

The Texas format is broken into sections and is not a room by room but when I finish, all concerns are named for the room they are in so it is still a room by room. If there is nothing wrong with the floor or floor coverings in the right front bedroom then I am certainly not going to waste the time telling them that thee are no concerns.

I am not sure what existing conditions means.

Every concern one finds is an existing condition. No concern, no existing condition other than no concern.

A lot of folks note that there is wall paper on the wall in a particular room. I never quite got that. That is not my concern and may or may not be a concern to the buyer. If it is a concern to the buyer then they will note it themselves on one of their many times thru the home. I had a client ask me once if the wall paper in the master was going in the report. I told her...it just did (as in she just noted it herself), she laughed. If the client is in Kansas then I may note what the wall coverings are. I used to do a quick walk thru video for out of state clients and either copy it to them or mail it to them.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 11-27-2010 at 06:59 AM.

System based report. Structure, Exterior, Roof, Plumbing, Electrical, Interior, Heating, Cooling, Insulation & Ventilation, Built-in Kitchen Appliances. The state SOP breaks out into these sections so I just follow the SOP.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."