Default Split face block problems in Chicago

Inspection Referral
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Default Re: Split face block problems in Chicago

I'm not sure that the construction trades will ever latch on to the concepts of moisture. And of course the city of Chicago isn't going to take any responsibility.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Will Decker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    I'm not sure that the construction trades will ever latch on to the concepts of moisture. And of course the city of Chicago isn't going to take any responsibility.
    I have been getting more and more inspections where the architect wants me to inspect the building and tell them what was done wrong and how to correct it. Understand, the FREAKIN' ARCHITECT who DESIGNED the building wants little old me, a mere home inspector, to explain the basics of masonry construction, thermodynamics, hydrodynamics and material science to them.

This is beginning to get interesting.

I have long held that architects can only design things. To make them work you better have an engineer. Of course that second part has proven to have its shortcomings as well.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Darrel Hood Guest

In that clip, it was mentioned several times that the problems occur when the blocks are incorrectly installed. What is being done incorrectly? Is the problem missing moisture barriers? It seems to me that any siding, roof, insulation, appliance, equipment, etc can have problems when installed incorrectly.