Thread: NGD8800

chris gallo Guest

Default NGD8800

New inspector here and still learning some of the ins and out of the equipment.
    I did a recent inspection where my gas meter confirmed what I already smelled at a property. It was an outside gas leak but the detector was picking it up on the inside as well. Long story short, I am glad it works so well but now it is not working properly anymore at all. Once I turn it on and try to get to the first indicator light it shoots straight to the top. I tested in several different areas to be sure it wasn't picking up anything from somewhere else but it does the same thing. I have to turn the knob about 1/3 and then it goes full on.
    Anyone else have this issue in the past and a good solution?
    General did say to send it up to them and they would check it out.

thanks,
    chris

OREP Insurance

Default Re: NGD8800

Get it fixed, sell it on ebay and use your nose.

chris gallo Guest

Yes, I know the nose works well. I thought it would be better to state the equipment used to determine the leak in case a seller wants to argue the point for example and state he or she doesn't smell anything.

Pointing out gas leaks can be problematic. Whenever I smell gas, I call the local gas company and have them come out right then. We had a major gas explosion in Knoxville that leveled a house and killed a young man. I'm not going to write something in a report, hope that my client reads it and tells someone, that may or may not tell the people living in the house.

I own a gas sniffer, but never let my clients see me use it. I rely on my nose, and then ask my client (or Realtor) to come over and see if they smell the same thing I do. If they agree, I call the gas company. I have to admit, that my nose does not always pick up gas smells. I think its something like losing ranges of hearing, I have lost some ranges of smell.

Hi Chris, sometimes it is the nose which knows best. whenever you smell gas the stronger the more dangerous it is. sniffers are good for extreme small leaks but if you smell it and others confirm get out then call and write it up later. Best to check the local equipment suppliers for who fixes those things and just use it for those who need to be impressed with the toys. There is natural gas and naturally and locally produced gas niether is pleasant to sniff. But make sure you write up the right kind