Thread: Tornadoes

Default Tornadoes

I hope all of you and your families who are in the affected areas are safe.

Watching the news now and it's unbelievable.

Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Tornadoes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    I hope all of you and your families who are in the affected areas are safe.

Watching the news now and it's unbelievable.
    We just lost a dozen or so shingles off the roof of our home. We had twisters all around us but none were on the ground in my area. We were very lucky.

My son over in MS called and said they told they will be without power in Starkville, MS for about a week.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I too have been wondering and thinking of the people in the affected areas. It was clear from the Weather Channel last night that things were really bad this time.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

My house didn't get any damage but it did "hit home." Being a member if the Air National Guard, a tornado ripped through our air base and last I heard over 100 houses were damaged on base, 3 planes were badly damaged, and several buildings were condemned. Unbelievably, no one was seriously hurt. The next day I went to Villonia to help out that community, Until you actually go through a town and see what is done, pictures on TV give you no idea how bad things really are. I personally, have never been hit by a tornado, but it is amazing how communities come together and how upbeat people stay when they sort through what remains of their belongings. They were only EF-2 tornados here. I cant imagine what the damage must be with a EF-5. It's like what they put on the whiteboard in the firehouse "All lost some, some lost all." All I can say is help these people if you can, a little inconvenience on your part means the world to them. My thoughts and prayers go out to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Belverstone View Post
    I personally, have never been hit by a tornado, but it is amazing how communities come together and how upbeat people stay when they sort through what remains of their belongings.
    I have and I can tell you it is something I hope to never go through again.

Luckily we had insurance so everything important was paid for (house, furnishings, clothing, car) but we had to fend for ourselves as far as finding a place to live, salvage what we could, etc. There was no FEMA then (1973) and we did not get a lot of community support. In fact I think most of the community drove by our house to see the damage but few offered help. One of my "buddies" offered to watch our house the first night to keep looters away. Unfortunately he did some looting of his own. (He confessed to me years later after he found religion.)

Perhaps that is why I do FEMA disaster inspections. I know what many disaster victims are going through and I get some satisfaction being able to help them in some small way.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com