Ted Menelly Guest

Default self employed, make $76,000 per year, work 25 hours per week

That is the newest advertising from one on the home inspection schools.

Anyone interested

I can set you right up

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: self employed, make $76,000 per year, work 25 hours per week

Ted,

Whats sad is all of these people who are out of work or looking for something else actually fall for this bullshit and the schools will be there to take their money or their goverment student loan.

These people in these schools could give a rat's arse about what happens to them after they get out of school. They have got the money and that is all that matters to them.

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 11-30-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Ted,

Whats sad is all of these people who are out of work or looking for something else actually fall for this bullshit and the schools will be there to take their money or their goverment student loan.

These people in these schools could give a rat's arse about what happens to them after they get out of school. They have got the money and that is all that matters to them.

rick
    Buzz killer!! I was just going to sign up .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Vern,

They'll still take your money.

If I only had a dollar for eveyone that has graduated from those schools here in our area asking for a job or saying "what do i do now that i have this license" I'd retire for a couple years.

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Vern,

They'll still take your money.

If I only had a dollar for everyone that has graduated from those schools here in our area asking for a job or saying "what do i do now that i have this license" I'd retire for a couple years.

rick
    I've got a pretty good collection of letters myself. It is sad, but the same for most professions. Everybody wants experience. The training only gets you so far even in the good times.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I'm feeling pretty motivated, so I think I'll work 50 hours a week and make $152,000.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

I've a few fresh "just out of school" guys call and ask if I was hiring.

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Ted Williams Guest

Count me as one of them. I took the eighty hour course from AHIT, aced their test, and then only got one wrong answer on the National Exam. Acquired state licensing, tax ID, business bank account, web site, most of the equipment to do inspections and have done some practice inspections on a few friend's homes.

I also spend two hours a day studying reading materials and then learning what I can from these forums.

After all that do I feel fully qualified? Nope. Not even close. Actually, the more time I spend on these forums the less qualified I feel. Still, once I can afford the last few items I need I'll jump in the water and start swimming, because it's the only way to learn. You don't know what you don't know, so you just have to go.

At least I've started a business before so I had some experience with that aspect (of course, it was a little more complicated this time, post 9-11).

I will add that I appreciate all of the information I've been able to garner from your discussions and look forward to when I'll be able to add something useful myself.

Wish me luck.

Ted,

I think you are doing a great approch into the business, but someday you got to jump out there and get your feet wet.

Many guys sit and wait for the perfect moment and it always seem to pass them by.

Go for it and Good Luck!

rick h.

Ted Menelly Guest

As Rick said

You never market for the next day after the marketing starts. You will be waiting a while. Sometimes your advertising/marketing does not kick in for weeks/months. When fall hits you are marketing for January. January you are marketing for the end of March and April etc. Sometimes I may not here from someone for several months after marketing. They just saved my materials and pull it up one day and pass it on.

There are a thousands ways to spend money in marketing. There is only a few that really work. One is the website and positioning. In today's world Google is taking your positioning in the organic results AND the map positioning and running them together. That helped me out great.....in the city I live in. If you are not local today in a particular city your results organically or under Google local will probably not show.

I believe they did this to pull revenue up for the flat fee or pay per click marketing. The make believe post office boxes are not going to cut it todays under the positioning with Google alone. As a matter of fact you may disappear of the front pager all together.

Market now....work later. You could do like the old Infinity commercial used to do before the car was even out.........."We're coming!" Or was it "They're coming"

John Harrison Guest

I get these letters all the time.
    I see on many other inspectors websites promoted as graduated from XYZ school.
    I have thought about going through the course just to be able to place the designation on my website.... but have decided that I can not associate myself with a school that will lie to potential students about the outcome of thier completion of the course.

Tom King Guest

I get these emails and I just laugh.

It's the same laugh I give to people who think we all just walk through a house and that the job is easy.

Tom King Guest

Nice link Raymond.

However, I do not consider $975 in inspection sales to be $975 in income.

You see, I have to pay for business insurance, health insurance, truck insurance, the truck itself, tools and supplies, licensing fees, LLC fees, cont.education costs, radon machine testing and certifications, gas, advertising materials, association fees, software, maintain a laptop, time spent marketing, time spent typing up the report not included in the 3 hour inspection, time on the phone/computer booking calls or talking about inspection issues related to all the things above.

Did I miss much - that was just off the top of my head real quick.

Of course - they do not mention that in the ad.

Tom,

Exactly, and they won't mention the overhead as it detracts from the potential income, get rich fast scheme.

In my opinion its on false advertising not based on truths in order to attract naive people who think inspecting is a licence to print money.

One must also consider geographic location, market, number of competing inspectors, Realtors favoured inspectors list, or who you or your competition market your services to.

If it were only that easy eh.

Alexander Hembery Guest

"(CMHC) Canadian Mortgage and Housing planned to make Home Inspections mandatory in 2007. They concluded due to the shortage of Home Inspectors it would be not possible to inspect all homes in a proper time frame so they have put these plans on hold for now. There is a shortage of Home Inspectors in Canada and the demand is steadily growing."

Is this another out-right lie? If there is a shortage of inspectors it is not the fault of all of these diploma mills that turn them out like sausages! I feel sorry for the poor schlubs who buy ( literally) into this con-job.

The Home Inspectors Institute ( Ottawa Ontario ) - Home inspection training and education courses in Canada

An important, exciting and lucrative career.

There has never been a stronger demand for home inspections and qualified home inspectors as there is today. This is due, in part, to deficient construction practices, materials and workmanship as well as awareness of environmental hazards and a need to protect today's consumer who is better informed and wants maximum value for what is often the largest financial investment of his/her life.

Yup more bull.

Since when is a home inspection career lucrative?