Default furnace venting on ac unit

hey all

i always write this up, but what do you think. high efficientcy furnace with intake and exhaust venting so close to ac unit. pending on wind --moisture can and would vent onto fins. just like a dryer duct vented on ac .

cvf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: furnace venting on ac unit

I write it up when it's real close or overhanging the AC. That one doesn't look too bad though. If I saw stains on the AC unit or the wind was noticeably blowing towards the unit during the inspection, I write it. Without some indicators I would leave it alone at that distance.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Are those capped ... or is that just an optical illusion?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Whatever those capped or screened pipes are supposed to be, and the condenser unit aside; they violate the dedicated space and access space for the electrical control box above (which apparently serves the condensor).The supply conduit to the condensor doesn't seem well secured.Angles and distance hard to judge with such a photograph. Appears there may be encroachment on the servicable space to the condensor unit tough to say.Corrosive or acidic condensate shouldn't be anywhere near the unit. aluminum fins don't last long when subject to spray, drips, windblown, heck shouldn't be subject to dog urine or irrigation sprinkling either...However, seems to have been set on a pad upon uncompacted/ unsettled tilled hardpan foundation fill (or is this recent addition of soil?) which is higher than pad or legs upon. One good snow or wetting rain and may be encased in soil. Off to the far right edge seems to be a crawl space or foundation vent - soil level appears less than an inch below - also would not a good thing.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-01-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Off to the far right edge seems to be a crawl space or foundation vent
    Looks like a shadow....

Good call on the working space issue for the disconnect.
    Also, It would be good to see the combustion air vent faced so that water can not enter.

hey all
    this was brand new house. have written this up on other houses , on other homes in the hood
    it also had a big crimp on a csst run, sorry no picture now,on someone elses computer--will add picture later

who says new homes don't need an inspection??

cvf

Marc-Rene Beauchamp Guest

Hello everyone!

I was just wondering if you all could take a look at this Furnace exhaust pipe location. I feel it's far too close to my Central AC unit. We're about to sell our house and don't want to get nailed for illegal installations. I reside in Ingleside Ontario.

Thank you!