Default Flexible gas connectors

Does anyone know of a code/manufacturer requirement that a flexible gas connector be "looped" before connection to the appliance??

My gut says yes (as I'm seeing it often in newer installs, but I've recently seen an installation (new construction) where it wasn't.

I don't see anything under 2006 ICC FGC Section 411, and haven't been able to find any online manufacturer intallation instructions.

Thanks,
    Dave

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Flexible gas connectors

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hahn View Post
    Does anyone know of a code/manufacturer requirement that a flexible gas connector be "looped" before connection to the appliance??
    Not that I am aware of.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Cool Re: Flexible gas connectors

There is none. That's why some are made as short as 2". The loops are simply because someone didn't want to make a trip back with the correct length so the loop was the easy way to deal with it. As long as they meet the min. bend radius (golf ball) they should be ok. Still, I try not to incorporaet dips and sags because they could act as a trap. I've actually seen one with a water seal.

BTW with long lengths on moveable appliances such as stoves and dryers, you need to form loops to make it coil out of sight yet allow room to pull the unit out.

HTH.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Martin lehman Guest

Default Re: Flexible gas connectors

Drip leg or sediment traps are often required or recommended by the manu., but never installed around here.

Cool Re: Flexible gas connectors

Martin, sediment traps are required by the code but might not be enforced locally. Still required..
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.