Default Delivery method for reports

I wanted to do a survey, but don't know how to set it up. I was curious about the delivery methods of reports people are using.

1. Email report.
    2. Post to web site for download by clients.
    3. Print paper copy on site.
    4. Print paper copy and mail.
    5. Burn to c/d.
    6. Pre printed report system delivered on site.
    7. Pre printed report system mailed.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Delivery method for reports

I do reports at home with photos and e mail to client.

Joseph, Palm Bch County, Fl.
    HomeSafeSouthFlorida.com

Email, hardcopy or fax upon request

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Answer:

Unless "internet challenged", then

Dom.

Markus, Fax??? Do you use photos? If so, the fax must not come out all that great. How many pages?
    Dom, how do you post to web? Inspection software link, or something you do yourself on your own web site?

80% Email report the same day

20% Print on site, The majority of these are older/retired new home warranty customers that don't have computers, or have a computer and don't have a functional printer, or their printer is out of ink.

Up until a year ago I used to do 90% on site.
    I think the older folks [ that are out of ink] like the report on site in a notebook with a photo of their home on the front, beacuse that's what I gave their neighbors. That's all good, I like the cookies and snacks they give me while I doing the report

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Email reports direct to the client. I cannot see any sense what so ever to upload them online for a fee so someone else has to be given the site and code to open the PDF. Not to mention it is less work for your clients and the Realtor.

Create your report

Press the button to create a PDF

Choose the file from documents where you saved the PDF

Click send to email recipient

That might sound like a lot of steps but including printing to PDF it might take all of a minute or 2 at best. I usually email them the same evening but on a rare occasion it gets sent the next morning.

I don't ever fax a report

One report in Hundreds might get a hard copy mailed off

Never paid anyone to upload documents for a fee so I can give others the info to go online to down load the file to them. That is a serious waste of money. I also do not and have never paid for x amount of reports only to pay more for x amount more later. Another waste of money

Sunday afternoon rant waiting for the phone to ring for work this week. I have a couple for the following week but dead at the moment.

Ted Menelly Guest

Print on site....never anymore. 55.00 for a black and color cartridge...not anymore

I only run into one in hundreds that do not have an email address or a computer.

Ahh, milk and cookies. I might just print them on site for milk and cookies

Doug Haglund Guest

Just curious is anybody using homeguage & upload to web, so client & realtor can get. I have been kicking that around. Right now I print at office & mail hard copy.

Jack (and Doug),

I use Home Gauge web services for reports & uploads. They have a slick and easy delivery system that manages all the details. I can print off a PDF if needed and email it, but I like the upload functionality.

I may consider taking it to my own site in 2011, but I've been a happy Home Gauge user for more than 7 years now.

Dom.

I email the report, a summary and their invoice - each is a pdf

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Majority are emailed .pdf files.. most are from office. Some from truck or site if client has a particular need.

If someone asks for a hardcopy (no computer/email) I have no problem dropping off to them or their agent (likely next day) No charge, no ha$$le. It's my duty to make sure a client gets the report (and on CD). Addt'l copies will incur a fee. "Green Office" Right?

I think there is merit to uploading to my server and assigning a "Link". The inspectvue.com thing was nice. I could tell them their user and password in advance on the back of a business card.

BTW... what's the easiest way to host/link/password protect customer files on a server...Anyone?

Yes, I still have a fax machine, HP all in one machine. As clarification I don't fax out HI reports because as we know the pics end up as various shades of black. Sometimes I get requests to fax out consulting/mediation/code compliance, etc. reports. Usually it's older business men, sometimes lawyers, sometimes people at work who want the report while at work but don't want it going through the company network or something like that. Rare but it still happens.
    For hardcopies, I print it, go to Kinko's, coil bind it with a front and back and either drop it off or mail it express. Before email was big, I did this with all reports.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I appreciate all of the responses.
    Currently I use Inspectvue, and their upload feature. It has worked very well for me for several years. However, unless Inspectvue can get out from under their lack of progress on updates, I fear they will someday disappear.

I have started e-mailing the reports directly as well, and the only glitch I have run into is when they either give me an incorrect e-mail, or I write it down wrong. Of course, I still get calls because they can't figure out the password, or sign in info I have given them. You can lead a horse to water, but.........

I used to drag a printer around, but ink was costly, and the traveling in the truck seemed to shorten their life. Once or twice a year I have to print one out and mail it or deliver it. No big deal.

I would like to figure out how I can do the upload to my own web site.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post
    Majority are emailed .pdf files.. most are from office. Some from truck or site if client has a particular need.

If someone asks for a hardcopy (no computer/email) I have no problem dropping off to them or their agent (likely next day) No charge, no ha$$le. It's my duty to make sure a client gets the report (and on CD). Addt'l copies will incur a fee. "Green Office" Right?

I think there is merit to uploading to my server and assigning a "Link". The inspectvue.com thing was nice. I could tell them their user and password in advance on the back of a business card.

BTW... what's the easiest way to host/link/password protect customer files on a server...Anyone?
    The easiest way is to ask the company that host your site or supplies the site builder and does the hosting. I could get into that but it is more involved than emailing back and forth. I know my hosting company has a deal where I can upload PDFs but never got into it with them.

The absolute hassle free way to get the report to a client is to give your email to the client and when you set up the inspection give it to the Realtor as well. They send you an email and then you send them the report back.

It is so simple it is scary. This is not directed at you but at everyone to help give me an understanding

When all you have to do is hit a button to turn the report to a pdf and then hit another button to send to email recipient...........why is everyone always looking at an easier more convenient way. It is simply just to simple.

You just cannot get any easier than that........and its free.....and no uploading....and no password and or code to pass out etc etc etc etc

I have heard that sometimes the Realtor or client deletes their report by accident. Oh well, when you get back to the office you spend a minute...maybe...and send it off again. Again, cannot get much easier than that.

All I have done for years have been sent only be email.

I never liked the fax thing cause none of the pictures came out decent on the report. Fax mostly print out in black and white so why bother putting colored pics in your report and fax it out then?

rick

Bruce Hutton Guest

All my clients get a hard copy of the report...When I print the report the backsde of the preceeding page is a full page of remarks / education.
    Makes for a very nice booklet.
    This either gets dropped off at their home mailbox or mailed to them.

(I use ink dyes instead of ink - I spend about $60.00 a year on dyes versus $900.00 on ink.)

Most all of my clients get an e-mail as well as the hard copy.

When I show the sample of the hard copy that I have to offer they all say they want the hard copy...Real estate agents claim this is one of the things that sets me apart from the other inspectors.

Bruce

Although I am not employed as a Home Inspector, I welcome the daily chance to read and to be involved in, these discussions. In think the main reason is at the heart of this thread: there are stories to be told, and things shared to be learned, in words and pictures. Things about quality of life, efficiency and safety, in our homes. Worthy pursuits deserving of continual investment in better service and better reporting. The reporting in professional form, for customers, is where I have hoped to be useful in this forum.

Please note my focus of home improvement, and an offered example of reporting here. The report here is a captioned photo album, an example for just about any kind of content. It is shared selectively and confidentially via free Google resources. Content that can be shared via Google Sites and Google Docs includes text, photos, pdf albums and movies. Read without download, there is no need of version control as content grows or is corrected.

The means of creating a report will be diverse, but I hope to inspire someone to try mine. The report creation might be from a pool of third-party writing professionals, as I describe here.

I started emailing my reports in 2000. Back then not everyone had an email address so I printed and delivered as well as email. By 2005 I was emailing 99% of the reports I produced and this holds true for today.

Sometimes I might have a report that is so large it is difficult to email. If and when this comes up I simply upload it to my website in a PDF that is password protected. I email my client the password and link and they can view and print from my website.

My experience has shown me that folks could care less about a printed copy. They want a copy that can be sent via email so that it can be sent to whoever needs to see it. Truth be known I can't even recall the last time I had a client that wanted a printed copy.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 12-06-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I email pdf reports and put on my website.

I use readnotify.com to help document that the email has been received and opened, since I discovered it's like pulling teeth to get clients to reply. I say "help" document, because it's not 100% accurate. I also use readnotify when sending out contracts in advance, to reduce risk of client claiming "signed under duress".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Evan Grugett Guest

I email reports direct to clients on .pdf files. It is rare that a client these days has no email. I agree with Ted and don't use an upload to website & client download site.
    My Word based narrative report also has a "Summary of Major Issues" section which culls out the problems and is sent out immediately. This way the client has the critical information in hand to continue the contract negotiation.
    It is fair, I believe, for the client to show the other side the written word of the inspector if issues are to be raised for correction or for negotiation. The old "telephone" game of verbal reports through the layperson clients & realtors most often seemed to convolute or water down the issues. Causing more phone calls for clarification of the issues raised.
    Further, the seller and their realtor are not entitled to the entire report that the buyer has paid for.
    Here in NY, the realtor does not automatically get a copy of the report. Some realty offices don't want a full disclosure problem and prohibit thier agents from getting one. Others don't care.
    I will send the Summary pages to the realtor only with the clients permission. or advise them to forward the report to the agent. The attorney for the buyer is more likley to get a copy of the report.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post
    .. what's the easiest way to host/link/password protect customer files on a server...Anyone?
    I just upload the report to the "library" section of my website and then create a new page that has a link to the report. The url for the new page is along the lines of www.mywebsite.com/password and when I email the report to the client I give them the password so they can access it that way if they want to. It's really pretty simple and only takes a couple minutes.
    I use alamode for the website.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I do something similar to John except that I included a hyperlink to the report when I notify my client their report is ready. It looks like this http://www.paccrestinspections.com/P...at/sample8.pdf but has a password in the PDF. I use a content management system to get the reports up on the web. It takes about two minutes to get it posted and send the email to client and Realtor.

Clients used to have some challenges with Acrobat Reader but in the last two years its rare we have to walk someone through accessing our reports.

Lopez Home Inspections; San Juan Island Home Inspections By Pacific Crest Inspections
    Orcas Village and East Sound Home Inspections; Orcas Island Home Inspections By Pacific Crest Inspections

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Roger Hankey Guest

In the appointment confirmation email we ask the client to bring a flash drive if they have one. We explain that we will make a pdf and download the report to the drive or send by email if they do not have a flash drive.

This has worked well for over 3 years. I've only printed 2 reports to paper in the past 3 years (out of over 1000). About 2/3 of the people do bring a flash drive to the inspection.

I also often do a revision with photos that I send out by email a day or two later.

I do this through Homegauge, all reports are stored online for 5 years & it is also easily searchable by address, clients name, agents name or time frames.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Email evening of inspection. $20 up-charge for printed/bound copy (mailed).

Eric Russell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Haglund View Post
    Just curious is anybody using homeguage & upload to web, so client & realtor can get. I have been kicking that around. Right now I print at office & mail hard copy.
    Doug,
    I use HomeGauge and upload to their server. They back my work up and I have a page on my website for the client/realtor/whoever to enter a username and password to get their report. Also, I can do my agreement via HomeGauge and if they don't get the agreement prior to the report being ready, there is a force agreement button so they can't see the report until they agree to my terms. Also, I can see all activity (i.e. who views/prints the report and when. I like it...costs me $300 per year, but I have that extra measure of security by them backing my reports up.

I do both. Print a copy on site. Review photo's and update report at home then PDF report and photo's to client that evening or the next day.
    Some clients like on site, others email. Some local inspectors only email/upload reports, others only on site print or checklist. I do both.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Jack Ahern Guest

E-mail same day. Then print/mail copy for thier records.
    This will include photos-requiments of Mass.-boiler plate-contract

Dennis Pinciaro Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    I wanted to do a survey, but don't know how to set it up. I was curious about the delivery methods of reports people are using.

1. Email report.
    5. Burn to c/d.
    Over the ,past three years I went to a 50 50 split to a 90 10 in favor of email reports. Everyone seems to have a email account and credit card these days. I very seldom print a report. I charge a little more to print a color hard copy report.

HomeGauge for reporting software, online report delivery and notification, third party report delivery verification, record keeping, credit card processing, and out of the office report backup.

Well worth the 300 a year!

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    HomeGauge for reporting software, online report delivery and notification, third party report delivery verification, record keeping, credit card processing, and out of the office report backup.

Well worth the 300 a year!
    online report delivery.....email it

notification....you've got mail

thrid party report verification..................that's needed?

credit card processing.....................don't need it. I have not taken credit cards for at least a couple of years and do not miss the fees and the pain in the ass

Don't you have to buy batches of reports as well

Just kidding about all that but those were serious answers from me. The only thing I saw any good on there was the back up but I have Norton 360 that I back all my files up with and I get absolutely excellent security along with it and never have a problem. It is all to each his own but I got rid of all that extra baggage years ago and have not missed it and never lost an inspection because I do not take credit cards.

That 300 a year.....that will buy a lot of fine meals when on vacation.

"That 300 a year.....that will buy a lot of fine meals when on vacation."

Unless you are at Disney, then it only covers breakfast. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    online report delivery.....email it

notification....you've got mail

thrid party report verification..................that's needed?

credit card processing.....................don't need it. I have not taken credit cards for at least a couple of years and do not miss the fees and the pain in the ass

Don't you have to buy batches of reports as well

Just kidding about all that but those were serious answers from me. The only thing I saw any good on there was the back up but I have Norton 360 that I back all my files up with and I get absolutely excellent security along with it and never have a problem. It is all to each his own but I got rid of all that extra baggage years ago and have not missed it and never lost an inspection because I do not take credit cards.

That 300 a year.....that will buy a lot of fine meals when on vacation.
    Agreed. Too much.

I have Carbonite for backing up at $55/yr (less if you buy in multiple years)

Paypal for credit cards. Free if I don't need it. It costs a little more when I do, but it's worth it during the times when I don't need it to not have to pay for it.

I used to think I was not "doing something right" by not uploading my reports. But after researching it, I couldn't think of a way that it would help my customer or me. Not knocking any of you guys that use it.

Ted Menelly Guest

"That 300 a year.....that will buy a lot of fine meals when on vacation."

Unless you are at Disney, then it only covers breakfast. :-)
    OK, OK, so you might get a MICKEY MOUSE sticker for it

1. Email report.
    5. Burn to c/d.
    Hi Jack,
    Lately, I have been using Google docs. I do not print on site any longer although I used to. I stopped doing that due to "delayed Intelligence" issues, remembering something that I should have included but didn't.

Many of my reports are fairly large, in excess of 10Mb and some email system balk at that. AOL is a real PITA and will accept no attachments at all.
    Google docs handles this just fine. Upload the PDF and it sends a link to the client and anyone else you wish to have access. They can go online and read, print or download as needed.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    Hi Jack,
    Lately, I have been using Google docs. I do not print on site any longer although I used to. I stopped doing that due to "delayed Intelligence" issues, remembering something that I should have included but didn't.

Many of my reports are fairly large, in excess of 10Mb and some email system balk at that. AOL is a real PITA and will accept no attachments at all.
    Google docs handles this just fine. Upload the PDF and it sends a link to the client and anyone else you wish to have access. They can go online and read, print or download as needed.
    So that's what I have, "delayed intelligence". I never knew it was a recognized condition.

Interesting about the Google docs thing. Is it secure?

FetchReport.

And like our editable, signable, electronic inspection agreement delivery system, it is totally free.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    So that's what I have, "delayed intelligence". I never knew it was a recognized condition.

Google Docs is as secure as anything else that provides a link to access the report. If the client or anyone else gives out the link, it can be accessed.
    All Google services are via https so are encrypted.

The delayed intelligence is a symptom of "oldtimers" disease.
    That's why I take a ton of pictures on the inspection. They are my visual notes.

877-466-8504

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    Google Docs is as secure as anything else that provides a link to access the report. If the client or anyone else gives out the link, it can be accessed.
    All Google services are via https so are encrypted.

The delayed intelligence is a symptom of "oldtimers" disease.

That's why I take a ton of pictures on the inspection. They are my visual notes.
    Pictures have been my friend for as long as they made digital cameras. Before that was either an Instamatic or get some developed.

As I go thru the report and add the pictures the other pics click past the older eyeballs and gives me a constant reminder on how much more I still have to go That part of knowing you have a long way to go in the report is the only thing I have never liked about inspecting.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post

But you need to still have a little intelligence left to recognize the delayed intelligence

Dana, do your clients have to create their own google docs account in order to retreive the report?

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Dana, do your clients have to create their own google docs account in order to retreive the report?
    Hi Ben,
    Not sure, nobody has mentioned it. I have at least 3 Google email accts so each has a Docs acct. associated with it. PM me with your email and I'll send you a link to something and we can find out.

877-466-8504

I would but I already have an account, maybe somebody without an account could try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    FetchReport.

And like our editable, signable, electronic inspection agreement delivery system, it is totally free.

Totally free? You mean inspectors don't have to pay you $289 evey year to use your wonderful system.
    If that's true why not explain how everyone here can use it totally free, then explain how those users can avoid exposing your orgs chat board , and instant on-line non-verified certificiations to their customers so they don't get embarrarsed when their customers go to your chat board
    The chat board that is free where the members have to pay you $289.00 to post, or if non members want to post for free they are censored.

If it's not totally free as you claim, you should be banned from this site for lying to and scamming home inspectors.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-12-2010 at 07:53 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Terry Griffin Guest

We print a paper copy and deliver the report either to the Client or with their permission to the realtor.

Lawrence Transue Guest

Most of the time I Burn a CD on site.

Email to agents if requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Griffin View Post
    We print a paper copy and deliver the report either to the Client or with their permission to the realtor.
    Do you mail, hand deliver, or ??? the report to the client?
    What time frame do you deliver your report to the client?
    What are the advantages of hardcopy vs. electronic

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Terry Griffin Guest

Hi Bruce, thanks for the response and the questions. Re: delivery of my reports: If the client is out of town I mail the report the next morning with overnight delivery. For reports to the client or realtor we deliver the reports the following day before noon. As far as the advantage of hand delivery over electronics, there is no advantage. I just cant get my email program set up properly, I think its in the software.

In some cases (like mine) it was taken out of my hands. The report is a signed legal document, especially with the included contract and disclaimers. therefore, it has to be sent by US Post. Of course I would e-mail a PDF is asked (quicker) but I emphasize that the soft copy is not "official".

The report is a signed legal document, especially with the included contract and disclaimers. therefore, it has to be sent by US Post.
    FetchReport is incorporated into our free, signable, electronic inspection agreement system, so a hard copy need not be sent for it to be "official." Congress approved electronic signatures in 2000.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

David says he is in Singapore. There might be different laws there.

We've had a Chapter of InterNACHI in Singapore for many years. I'll find out.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-20-2010 at 10:07 AM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by David Edenburn View Post
    In some cases (like mine) it was taken out of my hands. The report is a signed legal document, especially with the included contract and disclaimers. therefore, it has to be sent by US Post. Of course I would e-mail a PDF is asked (quicker) but I emphasize that the soft copy is not "official".
    They use the US Post Office in Singapore?????

www.inspectaz.com

Really doesn't matter to me, its not in my normal service area.

John Martino Guest

Hi Jack. I used to mail reports to the buyer and the realestate attorney but hat becaome very expensive. I took a look at my postage and printing expenses and fell of my chair. I simply e-mail a PDF of the report with the photos embeded in the report. Buyes and attorneys seem to like that metod. I never do onsite reporting because I would be afraid of rushing and putting together a poor report. I also do the same for mold inspections and mold testing. The mold reports are also e-mailed to clients.

Mold testing New Jersey

Mold Inspections New Jersey

Phillip Smith Guest

95% of my reports are emailed.

All get a hard copy.

Maybe time to change.

All get a hard copy.

Maybe time to change.
    Email me at fastreply@nachi.org and I will give you free access to Fetch Report, our inspection report upload and delivery system and our online, electronic signature, editable inspection agreement system.

Merry Christmas.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Smith View Post

All get a hard copy.

Maybe time to change.
    Just curious about everyone getting a hard copy. Why would you even feel you need to do that? They already received an email, why not let them tally up the further expense and print it off from the email they received. That is a lot of ink and paper.

If you are emailing the reports I really do not see the need for systems like fetch report at all. I would much rather email directly instead of having pass out the info to all to go online to get the report. Let's not mention you having to go online to upload the report just so the clients can go online to download a report. Upload, down load, pass out info in an email to client and Realtor to be able to get the report off line.

Now on the other side....push a button to turn the report into a PDF.. email the report, they print it out. Everyone is happy and it cost less with far less agrivation.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-26-2010 at 04:31 PM.

I just did an inspection for some past clients. I have done maybe a dozen inspections for them over the past 10 years.

I recently inspected the house they bought 10 years ago, and just wanted a re-fresher. They had my original NCR paper report there. It was kind of funny looking at it, and the fee I charged 10 years ago.

They also had the notebooks I had given them on other houses I inspected since (when I used to print it out on site).

On the last inspection I did for them a month ago, they took a flash drive over to Kinko's and had them print it out. Then they put it in their own notebook.

They just like the paper reports I guess.

I quit printing them out several years ago, except for special needs.

Phillip Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Just curious about everyone getting a hard copy. Why would you even feel you need to do that? They already received an email, why not let them tally up the further expence and print it off from the email they received. That is a lot of ink and paper.

If you are emailing the reports I really do not see the need for systems like fetch report at all. I would much rather email directly instead of having pass out the info to all to go online to get the report. Let's not mention you having to go online to upload the report just so the clients can go online to download a report. Upload, down load, pass out inemail to client and Realtor.fo.

Now on the other side....push a button to turn the report into a PDF...
    People show off the hard copy. I have got clients from other showing off their report.

kevin hergert Guest

I e mail my report to the client (and others if asked) typically the morning after the inspection.

I will walk them through everything found at the inspection (assuming they are present at the inspection).

The E mail is a PDF file, approx 30 pages with digital images (including infrared).

If they need it sooner, I do everything possible to comply with their needs.

Sample: Hergert Inspection LLC | Home Inspection Seattle-Bellevue-Tacoma-Everett go to "Documents"

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Norman View Post
    Although I am not employed as a Home Inspector, I welcome the daily chance to read and to be involved in, these discussions. In think the main reason is at the heart of this thread: there are stories to be told, and things shared to be learned, in words and pictures. Things about quality of life, efficiency and safety, in our homes. Worthy pursuits deserving of continual investment in better service and better reporting. The reporting in professional form, for customers, is where I have hoped to be useful in this forum.

Please note my focus of home improvement, and an offered example of reporting here. The report here is a captioned photo album, an example for just about any kind of content. It is shared selectively and confidentially via free Google resources. Content that can be shared via Google Sites and Google Docs includes text, photos, pdf albums and movies. Read without download, there is no need of version control as content grows or is corrected.

The means of creating a report will be diverse, but I hope to inspire someone to try mine. The report creation might be from a pool of third-party writing professionals, as I describe here.
    Nice pictures Phillip.
    Docs is great now finish that attic then go back and start that PDF off with an explanation of the project and details on the work process.I was just buying into the whole this is your work day theme.

I have a Van with a basic office inside- computer, printer, camera and PDA connectors, etc, in a custom built cabinet. I produce the Report on site and then email later ( switches report to a PDF format)

I believe that an Inspection is actually 3 separate actions- the physical inspection , the written report AND the presentation of the report. If you mess up any one of these things , you have the potential for problems. Except in very rare circumstances, I go over the report line by line with my client. I watch their eyes to be sure they are following me ( I used to be a Manufactures rep ). If I sense that I am losing them I pause and ask if they have any questions. At that point, they invariably ask about something 3 or 4 pages back.

Anyway, this has worked well for me and my company since 1996 with no real complaints from clients.