Default Another Telesteps collapse injury.

Another case of a faulty Telesteps ladder causing a fall, this time resulting in spinal injury for home inspector Rick Neveaux. Rick, hope you get better soon.

Dear CAHPI(BC) member,

I want to let you know that our member, Rick Neveaux, was recently injured
    while using a Telesteps Type 1 heavy duty, model 1600 ladder. As he was
    about to step off the ladder, the top pin broke, immediately collapsing the
    ladder and sending him down 10 ' on top of the ladder. He is now home from
    the hospital with a long recovery ahead of him for numerous small fractures
    in his spine. He wants you to be aware that these ladders have hidden pins
    and each rung has to be checked before mounting.

We send Rick our very best wishes for a fast recovery.

Helene

Helene Barton, Executive Director and Registrar
    CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF HOME & PROPERTY INSPECTORS OF BC
    1.800.610.5665 Canadian Association of Home & Property Inspectors - CAHPI(BC) 250.491.3979

Next QGM/Educational Seminars Feb 12th in Richmond
    Next AGM/Educational Seminars April 8-9 in Sun Peaks

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Default Re: Another Telesteps collapse injury.

As you may know a colleague in Ontario had one of these models collapse and he was badly injured. His name is Bryce Jeffery.

There was a thread about these ladders on this forum.

Too many horror stories with these ladders, they are not safe.

My collapse happened June 6/07 and I am still in litigation. Metaltech is the same piece of s---. manufactured under license. One day inspectors and the public will wake up and stop using this nonsense. THEY ARE CALLED COLLAPSEABLE LADDERS! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO DO?

Click the link for pictures and comments on my blog

Jeffrey Home Inspection

Ted Menelly Guest

I hate to say this due to the injuries mentioned on this thread but the ladders have minimum use. Countless folks are injured on ladders every single day of the week whether it is from metal fatigue, improper use and or set up etc.

Yes they are called collapsible ladders because that is what they do. fact is there are relatively few injuries on these ladders from collapses due to the ladder being at fault. It is in most cases not checking that they are locked properly or improper set up.

I have great sympathy for anyone injured using these ladders but just in the purchase of them with so many pins and springs and such that can become a concern down the road but you bought it to make life quicker, easier, lighter ladder, better access to more areas. Is there ever going to be a concern with these ladders...yes...and there always will be.

Think of a motor cycle. Many buy it to get around easier and they like the open road feel. They know when they buy it that have the folks in cars never see them because they are black spec in the mirror. They are in blind spots all the time. They are sitting on 2 wheels that can blow out, fall apart, breaks lock up, someone swerve and cut them off, someone not see them when they are about to cross an intersection etc etc etc

I truly do not believe that there is anyone out there that do not see concerns in these ladders before they even buy them. They trade out the bads for the goods and take there chances. Some never have a concern even after several years of use and go buy another one later on. Some buy them and the third time they use them a pin breaks or does not lock all the way and they get hurt and sometimes to a very serious degree.

I use to race dirt bikes. I use to race hot rods. I knew the risks and bought the next one anyway. A faster one, a bigger motor, added all kinds of goodies to those cars and bikes to go even faster. I new it was a matter of time.

By the way. I am on my second collapsible ladder. I do not use it much but I do when needed in certain situations. I know it may be a problem some day. I check it every time with every click making sure it is locked. I may get hurt some day. I certainly hope not.

The ladder is narrow and bows a good bit when going up and down. I knew this before I bought it and I know it now. If I do get hurt I certainly will never be surprised. But in reflection I have been hurt on scaffolding and pump jacks and tall a frames and extension ladders.

I have been using these ladders for years. Knock on my thick wooden scull. I have not been hurt by one of these collapsible ladders yet. All the others....I was hurt all the time over the years in one way or another.

End of rant and I certainly hope for the best for the folks mentioned on here that have been hurt and I truly hope all is better in the future.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-08-2010 at 02:12 PM.

I guess we should refrain from buying air line tickets. There is an inherent risk of a crash. The builders of the planes would have no obligation to the public to make sure the plane is safe.

B.

Last edited by Bryce Jeffrey; 12-08-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling mistake!!

I notice that GOOGLE turns up no reports of injuries related to use of the Xtend&Climb ladders, the brand I use.

Consumer Reports does note that the round "button" type feet are apt to slip on smooth surfaces, and this is indeed a problem . I've been looking fora way to attach more conventional feet, but have not yet found one.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Extend & Climb, Telesteps and MetalTech are all the same. Originally a Swedish design now being built under license. Try MetalTech Bryce Jeffrey or MetalTech Mike Holmes or any combination of telescoping ladders accidents. The info is there if you word your search carefully. After the licensing the concept was banned in Germany. Poor consumer rating also. The info is there for the looking.

B.

Bryce

Maybe Telesteps could put air bags on their ladders!

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Michael:

Google: telescoping ladder accidents

You will find your telesteps mentioned here along with numerous other posts concerning problems.

B.

I bought a Telesteps back around 2001. I used it for about a year then one day while looking in a scuttle hole it decided to telestep it's way back down!

Luckily I was in a closet and my fall was padded by all of the clothing in it. Outside of a small hole in the drywall from my elbow I came out of the ordeal unscathed. I will never trust one again.

Give me my LG 17 and a 4 step step ladder and I'm a happy camper.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Jeffrey View Post
    Michael:

Google: telescoping ladder accidents

You will find your telesteps mentioned here along with numerous other posts concerning problems.

B.

Do you have a link to such an accident report for an Xtend&Climb brand ladder - I can't find one, only reports on the Telesteps brand.

Michael Thomas

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    That was 100% not the ladder. Dude missed a rung when he went to step down.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Telescopic Ladders Review

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post

Thanks Raymond. That is an intelligent comparison by a guy who has both.
    There are big differences between the Telesteps and the Xtend&Climb, at least the versions that I have used. I was out with another inspector, Robert Hughes, on Tuesday. We used both ladders, and the differences were obvious.
    The Telesteps is lighter, but the tubes are looser-fitting.
    The X&C is heavier and sturdier feeling, closer tolerances on the sliding tubes.
    The Telesteps has the quick collapse feature which is a danger, as we are seeing from the reports of falls.
    Xtend&Climb needs to be folded one rung at a time.
    The Telesteps leaves black rubber skidmarks on painted walls.
    Xtend&Climb offers a plastic cap for the top rung, no skidmarks.
    The Telesteps is readily available, better marketing maybe.

I am planning to buy the Extend and Climb. My Telesteps has served me well, but I have only used it outside a half a dozen times. I was not aware of the sudden collapse hazard, but it easy to see the chance of it.

A few times, I've had it fully extended in a stairwell to reach the attic hatch above the basement stairs. The thought of a collapse there gives me the shakes.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John, I have used my Xtend n' Climb without incident for 7+ years. As long as you take your time with it, don't try to do anything foolish, and take care to ensure each section locks on both sides when extended, it can serve you well.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    Do you have a link to such an accident report for an Xtend&Climb brand ladder - I can't find one, only reports on the Telesteps brand.

TIJ forum, see this topic string (clickable link - I may have goofed and linked to second page of topic comments, if so go back to page one. CharlieB first posts about April 30, 2008 about his injury and problem with his XTend&Climb, he makes a few posts following.

Extend-N-Climb Telescoping Ladder - The Inspector's Journal Forums

"charlieb" aka Charlie Sessums had a problem with the 780 1A version, (300 lb rating) resulting in a fractured ankle IIRC. Randy N. also reported a problem.

Apparently one model version might have been "silent recalled" or at least that was implied by this multi-location personal injury firm, who claims a client injured from defective product and looking for other cases/incidents/complaints see this article:
    Defective Ladder Causes Injuries

According to the article above, this personal injury firm (Wm. Muhr, LLP)
    has a client who suffered injury when a "faulty" locking mechanism failed on an XTend & Climb model 770. Apparently a replacement model was issued for the model 770, according to the article, who knows how accurate that might be.

searches for injury, collapse, complaint XTend and Climb lots comes up. Mostly anon. reviews on various retail sites. IIRC Consumer Reports didn't like any of the telescoping type collapsing ladders.

Russel Ray Guest

I bought nine Telesteps back in 2001, one for each of eight employees and one for me. All of them were broken within 18 months, most within 12 months.

I replaced them with Extend and Climbs since they were over $300 less expensive than the Telesteps. The Extend and Climb is a much better ladder, and I have had no problem whatsoever with them. They are still going strong almost eight years later.

I couldn't get into any of our beach home attics here without a collapsible ladder because the attic access is always in the laundry closet which always has a washer and dryer in it. The only way to get up there is to climb on someone's washer and dryer or to place a collapsible ladder there which easily goes over the washer and dryer.

Timothy M. Barr Guest

Smile Re: Another Telesteps collapse injury.

I am with Scott Patterson I use a 22 foot Little Giant, 4 foot and a 6 foot step ladders . If i can't reach it with any of those, I guess it isn't to be seen

HG,

Thanks for hunting up that IJ article.

Michael Thomas

I've used both X&C and Telesteps (combined for about 1000 inspections). Before that I had folding ladders.

I had two incidents on folding ladders...one completely fold when I was about 3 rungs up (I stepped to the side, landed on my feet and re-set the collapsed ladder which was then lying flat on the driveway). The other time it partially buckled in a closet but came against storage and remained upright. What's consistent about both events (two different ladders) is that the locking blocks stopped fully engaging the pivot detents.

Telescopic ladders: After about a year of use, the X&C started to jam-up when closing or would only lock-up one side of a section when extending which I wouldn't realize until at the top and noticed the rungs were no longer level with the eve. This never made the ladder unstable even though it happened 50+ times due to operator error. The Telesteps will occasionally single-side lock at one of the three lower rungs if I'm not paying attention. But even when I've unknowingly ascended the ladder with that condition, it does not affect stability anywhere to the point of toppling.

I'm very carful and climb/descend at a moderate pace (so as to diminish the compounding effects of weight and inertia). I test them going up and re-test prior to descending and always hedge on the side of extreme caution.

Jeff Streitenberger Guest

I am with Scott Peterson on this. I had a Telestep. Never felt comfortable on it. Too much bow. I gave it away and bought a second LG.

Don Burbach Guest

I've used the 300lbs Telesteps model 1205BK for 5 1/2 years now. I don't use it for roofs though. It has gotten 'crotchety' because I am reluctant to lube the telescoping sides because of getting my hands dirty. I ordered a new one last week on EBAY and won the bid at a good price and it was delivered the other day.

I am careful with it. I have only had a minor collapse once or twice in the beginning because of my own haste and inexperience with it. I check and double check its setup now, and have no problems. I try not to extend it out to the full extension and am care when using it on a slick floor. I carry a rubber floormat to put under it if I am concerned about it slipping.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burbach View Post
    I've used the 300lbs Telesteps model 1205BK for 5 1/2 years now. I don't use it for roofs though. It has gotten 'crotchety' because I am reluctant to lube the telescoping sides because of getting my hands dirty. I ordered a new one last week on EBAY and won the bid at a good price and it was delivered the other day.

I am careful with it. I have only had a minor collapse once or twice in the beginning because of my own haste and inexperience with it. I check and double check its setup now, and have no problems. I try not to extend it out to the full extension and am care when using it on a slick floor. I carry a rubber floor mat to put under it if I am concerned about it slipping.

There is dry silicone that does not get oily and attract dust. Spray it on and it dries and slides for months. I use the extend and climb and never had a problem with it but I use it only when needed. I use my Gorilla ladder for most everything.

(well, I think it is called dry silicone. I don't have any right now so I cannot tell for sure but it is silicone no matter what it is called.)

I contacted Xtend n' Climb when the sections on my ladder got a bit gummed up and didn't slide as easily to find out what the recommended lubricant would be. Pledge furniture polish I was told. Specifically, the Pledge wipes.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

That would be specifically the Natural Beauty Pledge Wipes for wood surfaces, NOT the muti-surface, or the "Clean and Shine" wipes for wood (has a cleaning agent) also "lemon" scented.

Why? because they contain dimethicone, which is a silicone, used as a film former. No good to form a film over dirt and gunk, clean parts first. Not on the steps - will be dangerously slippery.

The "Natural Beauty" Pledge spray (polish) also has dimethicone and
    another silicone film former: Polydimethylsiloxane.

Caution - don't spray direct, spray on a rag in another room or area. Don't get in the air (to later settle) or apply to ends or treads. They will be slippery even when dry, and deadly slick if the slightest moisture.

Also, from experience, don't carry in the vehicle cab - getting it off the glass or mirrors is downright a chore (else live with smears and glare for a long, long time).

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-10-2010 at 05:52 PM.

Don Burbach Guest

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I will give one of them a try!

Jim Goodbrad Guest

I use an Xtend & climb with a piece of shelf liner or tool box liner as a non skid under the feet. Only had to fall once to learn that. No collapses thankfully.

Daniel Mummey Guest

I recommend Little Giant & fiberglass around electrical.

John Martino Guest

Thank you for the information, I wish this fellow home inspector well in his recovery. I use a folding werner ladder now on home inspections. i was complaining the other day that the ladder was too heavy and a beat to carry up threee floors. I was thinking about buying a telescoping ladder but now will think twice. The folding ladder is heavier but probably built a little better and somewhat safer. Thank you for sharing.

Home inspectors in Morris County New Jersey

Morris County Home inspections NJ