Default inspector giving free radon tests with inspection

holy cow and my own town

inspector giving free radon test with $200 single family home inspection.
    he has 15,000 satisfied customers in 20 years--thats 750 a year. so why would he be giving anything for free.

can anyone break down the six levels of inspections he's offering.

just don't get it

heres website

$ FREE RADON TEST WITH YOUR InterNACHI CERTIFIED HOME INSPECTION $

have fun

cvf

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: inspector giving free radon tests with inspection

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    holy cow and my own town

inspector giving free radon test with $200 single family home inspection.
    he has 15,000 satisfied customers in 20 years--thats 750 a year. so why would he be giving anything for free.

can anyone break down the six levels of inspections he's offering.

just don't get it

heres website

$ FREE RADON TEST WITH YOUR InterNACHI CERTIFIED HOME INSPECTION $

have fun

cvf

Heck it's free with a $150 condo inspection. To do a propert radon test don't you have to leave the testing unit for a day then go back and pick it up?

Gotta get me one of those special super master inspector, and honor logos, some of dat free nacho education so I can join the eletes and do 750 inspections a yr. :

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Would not worry about it Charlie. Anyone that has done that many, or been in business that long would not be on Craigslist.

Paul Kondzich
    Ft. Myers, FL.

Ted Menelly Guest

Shoot, he is pretty slow. 2.16 inspections a day for 7 days a week for 19 years straight with no let up.

Nah....I really don't want to get into this. I will start getting the miracles everyone performs as well.

Hmm....at 250 per inspection which is what his website says that is $200,000.00 a year at the minimum. Doesn't that put him in the top 5% for the last 19 years. And then the 250 flip/remodel/new build homes. He should have retired years ago.

I think it is time to retire

We have a guy in Knoxville that claims he has been inspecting 20 years. Funny thing is, he wasn't around in 94 when I moved to Knoxville.
    Come to think about it, he wasn't even in the phone book 3 years ago. Hmmmmm?

Just check out the 3 testimonials; they're all from real estate agents.

need I say more?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Has anyone ever gotten an inspection job off of Craigslist in the Real Estate services area?

The low-ballers seem to congregate there.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten an inspection job off of Craigslist in the Real Estate services area?

The low-ballers seem to congregate there.

When I first heard of Craigs list...it was out for some time... I put an add in everyday for a wee, morning and afternoon to see if anything came of it. Nothing at all until about 4 months later. I got a call for a 60 year old home with a crawl in a run down neighborhood and they were looking for a better price than 150.00 as that was the other couple of prices they got. Obviously I never looked back.

I have not really tried Angies list but a couple clients put a review in there that ws pretty nice. I hear some get quite a bit of work out of Angies list and the clientele is pretty good as well.

Ralph Smith Guest

After checking the site for pricing, no mention of radon test until the level 5 at $625!

Level 1 Inspection: A Value of $250.00 for $200.00
    Includes:
    a. *Standard NACHI SOP Inspection w/ Printed Onsite
    Report $250.00
    (also known as Pre-Listing and/or
    Maintenance Inspection)

Level 2 Inspection: A Value of $350.00 for $275.00
    (Third Most Requested Level of Inspection)
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    b. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00

Level 3 Inspection: A Value of $505.00 for $450.00
    (Second Most Requested Level of Inspection)
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    b. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

Level 4 Inspection: A Value of $605.00 for $525.00
    (Most Requested Level of Inspection)
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    b. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00
    c. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

Level 5 Inspection: A Value of $705.00 for $625.00
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    b. EPA Approved Electronic Radon Test $100.00
    c. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00
    d. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

Level 6 Inspection: A Value of $755.00 for $675.00
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    b. Video Scope w/DVD of Sewer Lines $150.00
    c. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00
    d. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

Level 7 Inspection: A Value of $855.00 for $700.00
    (YOUR BEST VALUE FOR FULL PROTECTION)
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    c. EPA Approved Electronic Radon Test $100.00
    d. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00
    e. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

*NACHI SOP Inspection for a
    Single Family Residence

Call for pricing on
    Multi Family Buildings
    and Commerical Inspections
    303-464-7026

Lawrence Transue Guest

Here are my thoughts:

Around here ---all the guys with the most experience -- 20 years or more -- I've never heard of.

Never met them at any trade associations. or any CE classes. How do they do it?

We charge almost $200.00 just for the radon test. I don't think I Would be giving that away, especially since it requires 2 trips to the home.

I don't know that "flipping" homes is a good resume enhancer for a home inspector.

Bruce Adams Guest

Charlie
    We have one of these third rate inspectors in our area that does inspections for $195.00. Some more of InterNachi marketing. If they wish to work 16 hours a day for the same wage as others do in eight good for them.
    InterNACHI has set the Inspection industry back about ten years. When it takes nothing to be an InterNACHI Certified Inspector other than a check book. This is what we get. And the public think because it says Certified that is what they are getting. And in truth this person has no true certification. I wish they are going to be going away. but it looks like they are here to stay.
    A good inspector can compete with any good honest inspector. That bad inspector that gives the industry a bad name, is hard to compete with.
    Bruce

Why stop at 7 levels of inspections? Because #7 is a lucky number? I know this would confuse my prospective customers who primarily desire a good inspection. On-site report? I predict spending an average of about 7 hours on-site.

that many inspections might mean that he is not doing all of them himself. he might have someone or ones working for him to take up the slack. as usual too you have to read the fine print for the free radon test. is it free or is it alert home services?? buyer beware!! look beyond what is written and realize not everything that is written or spoken is true. due dillagence is something we all need to do and be aware of.

Terry Griffin Guest

Its called marketing.

it's called desperate

Bruce Adams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Griffin View Post
    Its called marketing.
    It's called stupidity.

Bruce Hutton Guest

I Swear I’ll Never Use One Of Those $195 “Any House” Inspectors Again!

The new home inspectors always charge a low price to try to get some business. Do you and your clients want to fall victim to the inexperienced “newbie?”
    I say, let them practice on someone else’s commission!

We understand that home buyer’s hang on our every word, so we choose our words carefully. There are two places you don’t want to hear the words “oh my gosh”
    During brain surgery or a home inspection.

I saw the above ad on an inspectors website & thought about making something like this up & passing it along to my favored agents.

We have a new guy in my area & he does the same thing
    Hi / radon test / mold test & the termite inspection
    all for $199.00..Yes all 4 services!

Heck my radon testing is $175.00

I can understand being new into the business & looking for some work but heck you shouldnt go out & just kick the brotherhood in the nadz! Geeze!

Level 7 Inspection: A Value of $855.00 for $700.00
    (YOUR BEST VALUE FOR FULL PROTECTION)
    Includes:
    Report $250.00
    c. EPA Approved Electronic Radon Test $100.00
    d. Pre-Closing Correction Notice Inspection $100.00
    e. 1 Year Home Builders Warranty from
    Closing Date. $255.00

*NACHI SOP Inspection for a
    Single Family Residence
    His price schedule looks fine to me.

He's been an inspector for 19 years and an InterNACHI member for four years.

This is a common misconception. People see that he's only been a member of InterNACHI for four years and then incorrectly assume that he's only been an inspector for four years. Many of our members are veterans, who finally wised up and joined InterNACHI, and have been inspectors for many years before joining InterNACHI.

It is difficult to take an established inspection company to that next level, where the owner makes serious bank, without InterNACHI. Oh, you can putt putt along for decades, but if you want to really rock and roll, especially in this economy, it is very difficult to do it without InterNACHI.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    It is difficult to take an established inspection company to that next level, where the owner makes serious bank, without InterNACHI. Oh, you can putt putt along for decades, but if you want to really rock and roll, especially in this economy, it is very difficult to do it without InterNACHI.
    Yeah, OK Lisa. I've survived so far without a Snuggie too.

This is a common misconception. People see that he's only been a member of InterNACHI for four years and then incorrectly assume that he's only been an inspector for four years. Many of our members are veterans, who finally wised up and joined InterNACHI, and have been inspectors for many years before joining InterNACHI.

It's very difficult to do what with out nacho? ... Your saying since he joined nacho he has to give free radon tests and offer inspections for $200. that makes him wise and now earns serious bank..

I think I will keeep on ah putt putt putting along with my 35-40 per mo. @ an average of $300. per, instead of rocking and a rolling nacho style .

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Eric Russell Guest

Lisa, I'm going to have to chime in here, and I'm a InterNACHI member...I joined several years ago, and my main reason was for the continuing education, which I feel is pretty interesting and very helpful. I mean, I've been to these CEU classes and sat and listened to someone speaking. I would rather sit in the comfort of my own home and watch a video and take a test at my leisure. I'm glad I did, and I will continue to do so. But, where I'm located, having certified on your website or on your logo doesn't get you very far here. I've built my business on a reliable reputation and a reasonable (I feel) price. The customers really depend on the "evil" realtors to tell them who to use. All the realtors I work with know I value integrity and trustworthiness, and that I'm not for sale. THAT'S WHAT BUILDS YOUR BUSINESS. I do have the INACHI logo on my website and on my reports, but no one...and I ask every client, whether they hire me or not...has ever chosen me because I was a member of NACHI or ASHI or NAHI or HITA.

Very true. Agents choose inspectors, not inspector associations.

There are two types of inspector associations. Ones that use their members' money to promote the association and ones that use the association's money to promote their members in their own local markets.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Eric, you should come to one of our local Chapter meetings. We not only have live education, but you also have the chance to interact with other inspectors working in East TN.
    While there are a lot of excellent on line courses out there, nothing really beats being able to ask questions, to clarify something.
    I know I have learned a lot just from roundtable discussions with other inspectors.
    Our meetings include breakfast and lunch too.
    Let me know if you want to come to our February meeting, and you can be my guest.
    We meet on a Saturday in Knoxville, from 8:00am - 2:30pm, and you get TN approved education.

Eric Russell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Eric, you should come to one of our local Chapter meetings. We not only have live education, but you also have the chance to interact with other inspectors working in East TN.
    While there are a lot of excellent on line courses out there, nothing really beats being able to ask questions, to clarify something.
    I know I have learned a lot just from roundtable discussions with other inspectors.
    Our meetings include breakfast and lunch too.
    Let me know if you want to come to our February meeting, and you can be my guest.
    We meet on a Saturday in Knoxville, from 8:00am - 2:30pm, and you get TN approved education.
    Love to, Jack. Not sure if anybody on here is a member of HITA (Home Inspectors of TN Association), but we're having a meeting in Pigeon Forge in February also. These usually take place in Nashville, but I'm looking forward to being in my own backyard for a change.

ERIC, I don't agree with your last statement, I am a Certified ASHI Inspector and receive numerous referrals during the year from the ASHI web site. Also there are Real Estate agent in my market who only refer their clients to ASHI inspectors.

LISA your last statement about where the association monies go is ridiculous and shows only your personal bias; have you ever been a home inspector?

Each inspector is free to compare associations to see which one offers the most membership benefits, the most approved education, the most business success programs, the most marketing, etc. Maybe that means joining more than one. I don't know, I'm not an inspector. But if I were, I'd join any and all associations that helped me improve my skills, helped me fulfill my state's educational requirements, helped me serve my clients, helped me book more inspections, and helped me make more money. Yes, I know that InterNACHI's critics complain that InterNACHI is a pseudo marketing firm and that it focuses too much on helping its members make money. But if you are in the inspection business simply to make a good living, you should get out. The only reason to be in business for yourself is to make a great living.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

"But if you are in the inspection business simply to make a good living, you should get out.The only reason to be in business for yourself is to make a great living."

Thats your opinion.
    Money is certainly not the "only reason" people decide to be in business for themselves. I don't even think money is the main reason, at least not for me.
    Personaly I like to work:
    When I want to
    For who I want to
    For how much I want (accept)
    Where I want to

"Yes, I know that InterNACHI's critics complain that InterNACHI is a pseudo marketing firm"

Delete "pseudo"

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Lisa Endza says
    But if you are in the inspection business simply to make a good living, you should get out.The only reason to be in business for yourself is to make a great living.
    Rick responds

Thats your opinion.
    Money is certainly not the "only reason" people decide to be in business for themselves. I don't even think money is the main reason, at least not for me.
    Personaly I like to work:
    When I want to
    For who I want to
    For how much I want (accept)
    Where I want to

"Yes, I know that InterNACHI's critics complain that InterNACHI is a pseudo marketing firm"

Delete "pseudo"
    Well, then I hope you don't have stockholders, or a wife. LOL!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

RICK well said!

LISA dear you are not an inspector don't judge us on how we perform in our businesses. I can tell you that all the officers and directors at ASHI are Home Inspectors and certified means exactly that. Additionally you need to be careful with what you offer up as a guarantee of what you association can do for us. Sounds like a sows ear to me. At any rate lets not argue today it Christmas eve.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

Really? Where did they get certified? If you say that they passed one exam once, the very same beginner's exam that several states use to license newbies fresh out of school, I'm going to start laughing and spit my eggnog all over my key board.

Do you really think that InterNACHI grew to be the U.S.'s and the world's largest inspection trade association with operations in 60 countries by tricking its members, year after year, into believing in fake membership benefits? Maybe, just maybe, there are over 32,400 inspectors out there that know something you don't.

But what do I know, I'm not an inspector.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-24-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

You are hostel aren't you; shows you know nothing about your competition, get your facts strait!

Who certifies Inter NAHI membership Cracker Jacks?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS OR WHAT EVER YOU CELEBRATE!

Merry Christmas.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Merry Christmas everyone.

Just a point of clarification Lisa, yes there is the National Home Inspector Exam, then there is also an exam on the ASHI COE, and also a report verification process.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Yep, what Jack said. Little factoids, distinctions with differences. PEER REVIEW. (Rpt. verification). Membership balloting/voting.

Something missing in the mud-slinging "organization" kool-aid (or egg nog?) drinking so-called marketing, "twisted" commentary by a supposed director of communications "entity".

Have a safe and healthy New Year.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Lias,you have failed communication!!!!!!!!!!!!

God the Roast Beef was Great!!!!

Egg Nog is For NEW YEARS!!!!!!!

Just a point of clarification Lisa, yes there is the National Home Inspector Exam, then there is also an exam on the ASHI COE, and also a report verification process.
    Can't let it go, even on Christmas eve huh?

Aren't you forgetting something Jack?

The report verification only checks to see if a few reports were written to comply with SOP, not to see if the inspection was performed correctly. Nowadays, when all reporting forms and software comply with industry standards, it is pretty hard to write a report that doesn't comply to SOP. This requirement is meaningless.

Unethical inspector give the right answers to ethics questions. So this requirement is also meaningless.

The beginner's exam you mention is used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school. So this requirement is meaningless.

Is there a new meaningful requirement that I don't know about?

Merry Christmas.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The beginner's exam you mention is used by many states to license newbies fresh out of school. So this requirement is meaningless.
    Which ncachi refuses to use because they know 3/4 of their "certified" inspectors can't pass it. ncachi is "certifying" unqualified people to perform inspections. That's how they make money and why their business has so many clients. If they can't pass or refuse to take a "beginner's exam" they shouldn't be inspecting.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Bruce Adams Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Which ncachi refuses to use because they know 3/4 of their "certified" inspectors can't pass it. ncachi is "certifying" unqualified people to perform inspections. That's how they make money and why their business has so many clients. If they can't pass or refuse to take a "beginner's exam" they shouldn't be inspecting.
    You forgot something. There is no Certified InterNACHI.certified inspector. The certified is only in there name. It is in the trade name. International Assoiciation of Certified Inspectors. They do not go through a qualified certification program.
    The only good thing that I have to say about InterNACHI is that they have some decent CE courses. They are not the only place to get your C.E.s at no extra cost. Manufactures that offer education of there products is number one. Watts offers very good education class. Certinteed also offers good education. Several others have education classes. If you look you can find the C.E.'s that you need without much trouble. ASHI School has free courses. That are very good. That you can sit at home and take on the internet. Although you accually have to pass a test.
    I will say this about InterNACH. They do have some good Inspectors.
    Allot of joined for the Continuing Education. But they have more bad ones then they have good. There are to many that joined to have that word Certified in front of there Name. That did not have enough respect for themselves to go with a Assoisiation that they woiuld have to get truelly Certified with. And misleading the public into beleaving that they are Certified. They wish to go with the easy way. That are not willing to get the proper education that they need.
    I have asked that Lisa to show there Accreditation on here as of yet that has not happened. I do not care if Ben has some sort of accredation. Means nothing. If they cannot show there letter from a qualified accreditation association. They are not accreditited.
    I think of InterNACHI about the same as I do that inspector that just hangs out his sign and says he are one.
    I do not believe that you should go out and join every association out there waste of time and money. Go with the association that they think is good for you. And if you believe InterNACHI is good for you then good luck.
    Bruce

Lisa,
    I hope you are having a great Christmas. I'm taking a break between eating, cooking, and family time.

Yes the verification process can only tell if the report meets the SOP. I know of no other way, besides being there, to tell if the inspector did a good job. Does your organization have some way to do this?????

I was a report verifier for ASHI for several years. In fact, I took part in the training of the paid ASHI verifiers. I say this, to let you know that I probably know more about reading reports than the average person, you included.

I can tell you that you can tell a lot from a report, and sometimes you can tell if the inspector did a good job, or if they missed something. I know its been talked about here before, but "it's whats in the photos" that can sometimes point out mistakes or omissions.

You dismiss the NHIE, yet it's curious that licensed States use it. So it seems to be recognized by several State Governments. Just because you think its meaningless, does not make it so.

"Unethical inspector give the right answers to ethics questions. So this requirement is also meaningless." I guess the same could be said for the NACHI exams and membership process as well. Or State BAR exams, or physicians exams, or....well, just about any exam. I think you point is meaningless.

Many ASHI Chapters have a peer review process. While its not a National ASHI sanctioned event, it is still a very valuable tool.

I'm curious, does NACHI have Chapters? I don't think there is one in East Tennessee. Since I'm not a member of NACHI, I really don't know how your organization works.

While ASHI is "meaningless" in your view, it has served me well for the past 16 years. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Happy Holidays

Lord help me turn the wine back into water!

Do you really think that InterNACHI grew to be the U.S.'s and the world's largest inspection trade association with operations in 60 countries by tricking its members, year after year, into believing in fake membership benefits? Maybe, just maybe, there are over 32,400 inspectors out there that know something you don't.

32,400 nacho inspectors???
    Fake membership numbers??

Sun 10PM members on the nacho chat board. 33, 1 guest with [per lisa] 32,400 members

Sun 10PM members on this board with over 10,000 verified members... 66, and 265 quests...

www.inspectaz.com

Linda Swearingen Guest

Anyone who thinks the NACHI "test" is meaningful should probably wait to try inspecting homes at least until they are out of high school. My husband took the thing and got something better than 90%. He's bright (he's an environmental engineer) but is not a home inspector. He did write my marketing letters the first 4 or 5 years I was in business, but as far as I know he has never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.