Randy King Guest

Default Starting To Slow

Just checking in with the rest of you. Things are starting to finally slow down in my neck of the woods. The months prior were extremely busy from last Jan. 1. through November and now last week and this week has slowed quite a bit. The usual slow down but figured I would see how the rest of you are fairing. Have a good weekend!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Starting To Slow

I guess you would have to define extremely busy.
    I have to say that I have not been "extremely busy" at any point in 2010.
    While it has been very slow, I booked 4 jobs today - go figure.
    This week I had 3 radon tests, a re-insepction, and a 9000 SF commercial building. Not even normal by any means.

Can't remember the last time I had 10 jobs in a week. The weeks I had 8, I considered a damn good week. Some weeks I had 2, some 3, some 5, etc.

2010 will go in the books as my worst year in at least 16 years.

2010 was the best year of the 4 I've been in the business. The HI side has been dead since Thanksgiving, however.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Well I will throw into the pot. If nothing else when I b*t*h about something there is generally a turn around.

October, November and so far December....worse months ever (EVER). Luckily I have had a week each month for the bail out. I hope at the very least that trend holds. I said on another thread I lost one today (I will do it in the future) That was a bite out of the wallet this week. It was nice size home. 2 for next week so far and a couple of maybes like the one today might be there.

I wish everyone a prosperous December and an extremely healthy, happy and very prosperous new year ahead.

In case I forget I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....Even if you don't want one

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Well I will throw into the pot. If nothing else when I b*t*h about something there is generally a turn around.

October, November and so far December....worse months ever (EVER). Luckily I have had a week each month for the bail out. I hope at the very least that trend holds. I said on another thread I lost one today (I will do it in the future) That was a bite out of the wallet this week. It was nice size home. 2 for next week so far and a couple of maybes like the one today might be there.

I wish everyone a prosperous December and an extremely healthy, happy and very prosperous new year ahead.

In case I forget I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year....Even if you don't want one
    Pretty much the exact same thing here.... and I'm also looking for that week for December to bail me out. I have a bunch of "maybe" jobs for next week so we'll see. Basically, waiting for people to get utilities turned on etc, etc.

As Jack mentioned, it looks like 2010 will go down as our worst year ever.. or at least in the last 15+ years.

The regional variations do intrigue me... both on the board and from watching general statistics from various areas. Out west here we are definitely hurting compared to some other places.

Believe it or not, November turned out to be my best month this year. December is looking like it will be second best.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Dead since Thanksgiving but not unexpected as it usually picks up just before Christmas.
    I planned for it by scheduling my Dental work for this time .

Since 2:30PM yesterday, I have scheduled two houses over 8,000 SF, and 4 other jobs for next week.
    I need to complain more often - it made the phones ring.

When things get slow try my sure fire method to get the phone to ring.

#1 Get sick. There is a direct relationship between how in demand you are and your illness.

#2 Leave town. The further away from home and the longer you plan to stay away is surly going to get you calls.

#3 Get called for jury duty.

Not as effective but still will get you 1 or 2 inquires
    #1 Plan to spend a day with your Wife, kids, Mother...
    #2 Get on the crapper
    #3 Cell phone does not work.
    # your car brakes down.

Over the years I have found that each and every one works, EVERY TIME.
    Give it a try and let me know how it has increased your calls.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post

#1 Get sick. There is a direct relationship between how in demand you are and your illness.

#2 Leave town. The further away from home and the longer you plan to stay away is surly going to get you calls.

#2 Get on the crapper
    # your car brakes down.

#2 Ido think that was a little pun but worse than that is you are accomplishing #2 and you did not bring your cell with you and they went directly to the next inspector and gave hime the business.....and you have not had an inspection in 3 days

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post

#2 Get on the crapper
    # your car brakes down.

Rick, I've got similar tried-and-true tricks to get the phone to ring:

1 - sit on the toilet
    2 - take a nap
    3 - stuff my mouth full of food

When things are really slow, I'll try all three at the same time.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

It is so dead here that I ran off without my phone the other day. After my first inspection I raced back home to get it knowing that there would be several missed calls. Nothing. Did not miss one call. Now that is proof that things are slow.

I have been just like what others are saying. I will have weeks with only 2 to 5 inspections and an occasional week with 8 which is good by todays standard. i usually do 500 per year and this year will be around 420 to 425. January is usually the worst around here. I hate to see what it is going to be like judging by what the fall has been.

People can't even afford to get sick these days. My wife works at a hospital and they are calling her off at least one day a week due to low patient volumes. Oh well I guess we can always market and get caught up on the things we were putting off for a long time. I have played more golf this year than the total of the previous 10 years. But with the numbers lately, I better stick to marketing.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Since 2:30PM yesterday, I have scheduled two houses over 8,000 SF, and 4 other jobs for next week.
    I need to complain more often - it made the phones ring.
    Jack,

Just with your complaining my phone has rang off the wall the last few days. I appreciate you man.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    It is so dead here that I ran off without my phone the other day. After my first inspection I raced back home to get it knowing that there would be several missed calls. Nothing. Did not miss one call. Now that is proof that things are slow.

I have been just like what others are saying. I will have weeks with only 2 to 5 inspections and an occasional week with 8 which is good by todays standard. i usually do 500 per year and this year will be around 420 to 425. January is usually the worst around here. I hate to see what it is going to be like judging by what the fall has been.

People can't even afford to get sick these days. My wife works at a hospital and they are calling her off at least one day a week due to low patient volumes. Oh well I guess we can always market and get caught up on the things we were putting off for a long time. I have played more golf this year than the total of the previous 10 years. But with the numbers lately, I better stick to marketing.

Frank

At 420 for the year you just might be visiting the wrong thread. Slow is a couple hundred or less. 420 is busy is extremely busy. Even if you only charged 250 or 300.00 per you are talking a 100,000.00 a year at the very least.

You might want to move over to the busy thread.

I was busy the first 8 months of the year, but it has been way below normal the last 4. I guess I can't complain too much, I haven't had to get a second job yet. Just thought I would throw my whine in there to see if my phone will ring. So far, not working.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Daniel Mummey Guest

Is it snowing where your at. Are you doing foreclosure PCR inspections and auction postings etc.? These have really picked up!