mathew stouffer Guest

Default Exterior glue lams?

Single family home built in 89. These glue lams are supporting a suspended slab driveway. There is wood/concrete contact and I was unable to determine if these are exterior rated lams.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Re: Exterior glue lams?

Here is a few more pics.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Water stains suggest moisture may be entering from above which exacerbates the lack of separation between wood/steel/concrete.

Fred Comb, ACI
    Mahtomedi, MN
    www.homeinspectionsofmn.com

It is designed to fail, built wrong and the wrong materials were used to build it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

That is definately something I would defer to an engineer. That is a pretty costly fix. I was wondering why they went with wood and then concrete over it as they did. All of it will eventually deteriorate but I guess there would be no problem with a full wooded bridge to the garage.

I think it would have been the wiser to fill and concrete the drive to the garage with drainage under it. I am assuming that is why they did what they did because there is a flow of water under that bridge.

Second thought is WOW. Look at all the snow. I have not inspected in snow cover for so many years I cannot remember what it is like trudging thru the snow doing an inspection. It is disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer time.

Mathew

It does not appear any of the material is exterior rated and I have my doubts if it was properly designed in the first place.

Randy Mayo, P.E.
    Residential Engineering & Inspection Services
    http://www.rlmengineers.com

Phil Brody Guest

Even if they were exterior Lam's they wouldn't be used in that application. There is not much right about what is going on there. It's interesting why they went through all that trouble when fill would have been an easier route, or maybe there is a stream that runs under.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Brody View Post
    Even if they were exterior Lam's they wouldn't be used in that application. There is not much right about what is going on there. It's interesting why they went through all that trouble when fill would have been an easier route, or maybe there is a stream that runs under.
    Interior - exterior - far outer space rated, it doesn't matter. Deteriorating wood and steel subject to possible catastrophic failure.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA