Anthony Alderman Guest

Default Crawlspace insulation "fail" or good try old buddy?

I was in this crawl today. Over all it was great, dry not to short but the I see 2/3's of the crawlspace wall covered with, i guess, left over insulation????? Much of it touching the ground. I'm not sure how to address this.... it's a first for me. Sooo what do you think??

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (99.4 KB, 204 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (98.9 KB, 173 views)
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Crawlspace insulation "fail" or good try old buddy?

It is amateur handiwork.
    It looks like the insulation is encased in tubes of poly.
    The walls are not really insulated. Too many gaps. It looks like the tubes were simply too long and left hanging.

I would call for repairs, see Brandon's post.

Last edited by John Kogel; 12-12-2010 at 10:08 AM. Reason: correction
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

As John said, it was left too long and needs to be trimmed, especially since it is in contact with the ground. It can absorb moisture from the ground, which can lead to some problems.

Subfloor insulation is really supposed to be secured flush with the subfloor without air gaps. It looks like it is sagging in areas.

It looks like the insulation is encased in tubes of poly. That is wrong.
    That type of insulation is typically known as DIY insulation. It comes with small holes in the plastic and is not a vapor barrier. It's to keep people from getting itchy when working with it.

I haven't seen any used for quite some time, so I can't say for sure whether it is allowed to be left exposed.

I believe this insulation is Miraflex by Owens Corning, and it is no longer made.

"These compact rolls are one benefit of the new Miraflex glass fiber. Miraflex is two forms of glass fused into a single twisted filament. The twists hold the fibers together, so chemical binders aren't needed. Owens-Corning even removed the coloring and other chemical additives, which is good news for people concerned about the health effects of fiberglass. Miraflex fibers themselves may reduce health concerns, too. The fiber is much softer and less irritating than original fiberglass insulation. Pink Plus rolls include a perforated pink plastic wrap. The wrap reduces itch-producing dust and helps the insulation slide into place. However, because it's perforated it doesn't create a vapor retarder as brown kraft paper facing does."

Thanks, Brandon. I have a vague recollection of that stuff in a roll now. It is rare here. So it may just need a bit of tweaking.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Bruce Adams Guest

I would report that the insulation is improperly installed and needs to be corrected by a qualified person. As said earlier the insulation should not be in contact with the ground This allow insects and rodents easy access into your home. Moisture in the insulation can cause mold growth. Fiberglass insulation is not recommended on the crawl space walls.
    Bruce

Fred Herndon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alderman View Post
    I was in this crawl today. Over all it was great, dry not to short but the I see 2/3's of the crawlspace wall covered with, i guess, left over insulation????? Much of it touching the ground. I'm not sure how to address this.... it's a first for me. Sooo what do you think??
    Tony,
    I saw the same thing in a house in the Woodcroft neighborhood in Durham last year. Harry Homeowner thinking he could insulate his perimeter walls with the stuff. As others said, it is ineffectiven since there are so many gaps and is not in substantial contact the foundation walls, plus it should not contact earth.

Tear it out, or at least trim it back from contacting earth.

The insulation is still sold at Home Depot, I think. R-25 rating. Popular with Harry and his ilk since there is less contact with Fiberglass.