Thread: Bad Roof Job

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Bad Roof Job

I just got these pics from a client I did an inspection for back in the summer. The roof had issues so she had it replaced in the past week. This is one of the worst looking roof jobs I've ever seen. She asked if I could come look at it but I'm advising her that her best bet at this point to contact a field rep for the shingle manufacturer so they can com see this mess and make the call on this roof. It appears to be a re-roof over the existing shingles.

My client said the roofer claims the shingles "will thaw out a lay flat when it gets warmer". Huh???? Per my cleint, the roofer already came back to her house once and got up on the roof and pushed some shingles down to get them to lay flatter. And these pics were taken after he did that.

Hoo boy!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Bad Roof Job

Where are the flashing details?

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I know Eric. Looks bad all around.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

In the last pic it looks like they overlapped the shingles to save cutting. The first row is over-exposed. There's no gap between shingles, so hot weather if anything will make it worse. What a waste. They owe that client a new roof.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

chris mcintyre Guest

It doesn't look that bad to me for a roof that has been installed in cold weather less than a week ago. It will lay down when it warms up, I'm not saying all is well, just not as bad as others make it sound.

As far as the flashing goes, if you do not want to tear off the stucco, most roofers will reuse the step flashing this takes some care from the roofers not to damage the flashing on the tear off. I guess the only way to know for sure if the flashing is there or damaged is to have a home inspector come by and check.

Ted Menelly Guest

I just noticed what they did with the vinyl siding. Nothing to attach it to if they cut it at an angle so they just laid it the same angle as the roof. No bottom flashing or j mold like there should have been. Maybe there is step flashing under that vinyl.

My guess is they kept the existing flashing. The shingles look like the bundles weren't stored properly and the bends and curls in them are the result of the bundles not laying flat. The bent and curled edges look very similar on varying courses.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    It doesn't look that bad to me for a roof that has been installed in cold weather less than a week ago. It will lay down when it warms up, I'm not saying all is well, just not as bad as others make it sound.

As far as the flashing goes, if you do not want to tear off the stucco, most roofers will reuse the step flashing this takes some care from the roofers not to damage the flashing on the tear off. I guess the only way to know for sure if the flashing is there or damaged is to have a home inspector come by and check.
    The problem with this is it isn't going to warm up for any extended period of time around here until late March or early April. And we have some pretty strong winds blowing lately. Shingle loss is a real possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    It will lay down when it warms up, I'm not saying all is well, just not as bad as others make it sound.
    Take another look at this. It needs to be redone.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Number one reason not to have roof installed in December with temps under 40 deg during day and freezing at night. Shingles were stiff as a board. Only reason to do job should have been an emergency. Price discount will come back to haunt them. Been there with roof job at Christmas. Shoveling snow off roof etc., its real hard to work with cold stiff shingle. So easy to damage. If shingle were off loaded onto roof and bundle was left bent then shingles will have a bend in them (shingles draped over ridge or each other). My guess for the shingle appearance is as result of how the shingles were stored on the roof prior to installation. Hump may or may not ease out a real crap shoot.

chris mcintyre Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Take another look at this.

Good eye John, I do see the shingles between the dormers are overlapped, so I agree that area of the roof......

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    .....needs to be redone.

The application of shingles over old is going to hinder the new shingles from flattening out.

It would be great to see what the shingle manufacture states in terms of application over existing shingles.

CASMA - Technical Bulletin No. 8 - Cold Weather Recommendations for Application of Asphalt Roofing Shingles
    7. When re-roofing over an existing roof in cold weather, one must take extra care to ensure that the roof surfaces are as smooth and flat as possible. Since the shingle will be affixed to the surface in cold weather, their uneven appearance may be "locked in" once they are sealed together. Even with the return to warmer weather, the shingles may not completely relax to a smooth looking finished roof.
    I am also not sure whether these shingles have been properly staggered.
    Don't Miss the Shingle Stagger! | ASHI Reporter

ryan donaldson Guest

Cool Re: Bad Roof Job

Hey this is my first post. I really enjoy reading all the material I have seen on this site so far. I think this is a great tool for new inspectors like myself, and inspectors with any amount of experience. This roof looks like a job done by a contractor willing to take the risk of putting a roof on in December, and cutting corners to get it done quickly. I hope they can make things right before the problem gets any worse.