Default Good for the economy, or bad?

A hoe operator on contract to a multi-national corporation has driven his machine into a creekbed and torn up the ground cover. A fisheries officer has called for immediate repair of the damage to save the fishys in the creek. A group from the corp, four engineers and a technologist is dispatched to the scene. They take pics and agree a repair is needed. They discuss the possibility of a landscaping contractor coming out to do the job. A cost estimate will be needed, and a contract will be written up. Approval for the expenditures will be obtained from the head cheeses, etc etc. The technologist pulls a fire shovel out of one of the trucks and digs a trench to divert the runoff. He sprinkles some grass seed and spreads some ground cloth on the dirt. The engineers take pics of the repair. Looks good.
    The landscaper does not get a call after all, so he loses a day's work. The corporation saves $$ at a time when cash is tight, and the share holders don't even know it. The share holders are not from that part of the country, have never spent a cent in that town.

Was this a good move on the part of the tech, or should he have held his place on the edge of the road and allowed a local contractor to make some quick cash?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Good for the economy, or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    A hoe operator on contract to a multi-national corporation has driven his machine into a creekbed and torn up the ground cover. A fisheries officer has called for immediate repair of the damage to save the fishys in the creek. A group from the corp, four engineers and a technologist is dispatched to the scene. They take pics and agree a repair is needed. They discuss the possibility of a landscaping contractor coming out to do the job. A cost estimate will be needed, and a contract will be written up. Approval for the expenditures will be obtained from the head cheeses, etc etc. The technologist pulls a fire shovel out of one of the trucks and digs a trench to divert the runoff. He sprinkles some grass seed and spreads some ground cloth on the dirt. The engineers take pics of the repair. Looks good.
    The landscaper does not get a call after all, so he loses a day's work. The corporation saves $$ at a time when cash is tight, and the share holders don't even know it. The share holders are not from that part of the country, have never spent a cent in that town.

Was this a good move on the part of the tech, or should he have held his place on the edge of the road and allowed a local contractor to make some quick cash?

The only problem I see is the fisheries department, 4 engineers and a technologist all coming out for such a farce and waste of an extreme amount of money. None of them would ever pu;; a shovel out because they would not have known what to do with it. Can you say a 1,000.00 for a toilet seat? The land sacpaer would have been the cheapest part of the entire mess. That might just be what is wrong with things today.

Good for the economy. I like the KISS principal.

Ted, the group of engineers are working for the corporation, not fisheries.

www.allsafehome.ca

chris mcintyre Guest

A fisheries officer has called for immediate repair of the damage to save the fishys in the creek.

The technologist pulls a fire shovel out of one of the trucks and digs a trench to divert the runoff. He sprinkles some grass seed and spreads some ground cloth on the dirt.

The fisheries officer called for immediate repair, technologist provided immediate repair, engineers approve it. Win, win.

I agree with Ted that there is too much bureaucracy in corporation's (and government) the bigger the entity the more bureaucracy and wate....at least I think that's what Ted was saying?

The landscaper does not get a call after all, so he loses a day's work.

You can't lose something that you never had.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris mcintyre View Post
    The fisheries officer called for immediate repair, technologist provided immediate repair, engineers approve it. Win, win.

I agree with Ted that there is too much bureaucracy in corporation's (and government) the bigger the entity the more bureaucracy and wate....at least I think that's what Ted was saying?

You can't lose something that you never had.
    Whether the engineers worked for the corp or not I am sure they all wasted at least an hours time per. And how much over paid are they to look at some torn up grass and such?

Yes Chris, you are correct.

I am sure the corp had grounds maintenance folks. They figured they would call in a brain to figure it out and the other three brains did not want a one up from the other.

I am a serious glut and bloat hater. I am also a despiser of those that think so overly high of themselves. You may noticed this from some of my post And yes, my other posts on insurance companies......criminals....sorry.....I could not help myself. Oh yeah, my post this past Sunday about the ditch digger....just little ole compassionate me.

This country has to eliminate the bloat.........................starting at the top.............not the bottom.

We like to think efficiency is better, but if the only source of income for the community is wages, reducing the corporation's cost is not helping the local economy. The money saved just made the fat cats fatter.

www.allsafehome.ca