Edward Rodriguez Guest

Default ALFOL reflective barrier

I recently came across this reflective barrier "insulation"(see attached picture) located in the attic of a southern californian home(Temple city) built in 1951. Would this be sufficient by itself or would it need additional insulation underneath it. The reflective barrier had the paper facing down on the attic floor with the foil facing toward the roof structure. I recently obtained some information on the following link but was unclear since I am new to this industry. Radiant barriers - how they work to save on cooling costs and some heating costs - Solar Age Magazine Article. Any body's advice would be greatly appreciated.-----Rookie inspector

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: ALFOL reflective barrier

If I understand this "insulation" correctly it is composed of some impregnated paper and a sheet or two of reflective aluminum. The sheet(s) of aluminum are situated in the airspace between the layers of impregnated paper. The paper has essentially no R-value and the reflective aluminum has essentially no R-value.

A radiant barrier is not insulation. A radiant barrier may be used to reduce the amount of radiant heat gain or radiant heat loss in an attic or other space but it does nothing to reduce the flow of heat through a wall or ceiling (heat transfer by conduction).

So, yes, I would recommend replacing the ALFOL with real insulation, but only after sealing the major air leaks in the attic floor.

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Additionally, the paper facing needs to be covered with drywall ... whether this is left or replaced with faced insulation the facing needs to be covered for fire purposes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Edward Rodriguez Guest

Thumbs up Re: ALFOL reflective barrier

Thanks Gentlemen. And have a Merry Christmas!

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Edward Rodriguez Guest

Thanks Michael for the info. Merry Christmas!