Thread: getting started

Default getting started

Hi I am just getting started and have received the advise that E&O Ins is recommended. I see in some other post that it seems like most of you have it. Would love some advise as to get it or not. Thanks!!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: getting started

I don't have it. I thinks it's a racket. I've heard the Ins companies do not even stand up for you when you did nothing wrong. They just pay claims and jack up your rates.

Just my opinion.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

If you're just starting Eric, you should strongly consider it. When you get started is when you stand a greater chance of missing something and having to pay up.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Smile Re: getting started

Thanks for the replies. I didnt expect answers so quickly. I think I am going to like this site. I was also worried about missing but I also am just starting and the price is crazy expensive. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I didnt expect answers so quickly. I think I am going to like this site. I was also worried about missing but I also am just starting and the price is crazy expensive. Thanks again!
    If you don't get E&O, remember these words. Every time you think that corner of the crawlspace or attic is too far or must be ok, GO TO THAT CORNER!

Good luck and keep safe.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Thanks Vern, great advise!!

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Kyle Lening Guest

It's expensive, but I will have it. It just takes one oversight to ruin you in the hands of the right plaintiff.

If you think EO is expensive, your really gonna whig out when you look into your health coverage.

Joseph Welker Guest

So who has the best rates and what are the best companies to go through?

Eric,

Go full bore client oriented. Tell the realtors to stand aside and don't let them influence you. If clients see you sucking up to realtors they won't trust you. Work 110% for the clients best interest and they will appreciate you. They will understand that you are human and not perfect.

Take all the time you need to do a thorough inspection. If you see something you don't understand, don't be afraid to admit it. Tell them you need to do further research before you can provide an answer. A delayed answer that is correct is acceptable. A hasty and incorrect answer is not.

Do the inspection and take notes and photos. Talk to the client about what you found on site. Scroll through your photos and give them a preliminary on site but do not promise a report on site. Retreat to home base to write the report. This will give you time to do needed research and make the right comments.

Post here if you have questions.

Sorry for the banter

That is great advise. Thank you so much everyone. I am really excited to be apart of this forum!

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

So what kind of report system do you plan to use Eric?

I am using the program preferred by my instructors. It is myreport writer.com. I really have no idea if that is a good idea or not! Would love to hear what you guys think!

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    I am using the program preferred by my instructors. It is myreport writer.com. I really have no idea if that is a good idea or not! Would love to hear what you guys think!
    You must have learned under Chuck and Cory as they have that software.
    It is around $25 @month if I recall correctly.
    You can go with that or Report host if you need cheap as Report Hiost starts you out with 10 free Reports or 15 if you are a NACHI member.
    I think Chuck pushes ASHI but association does not really matter though this particular forum is more ASHI so take knocks in stride.
    I use maybe at his point the best there is in Home Inspector Pro as we have a great support system of inspectors helping one another with a great (best in the industry)message board and no in fighting period.
    We call ourselves Hippies as once you try it out you will find it nice how many templates are shared to get you started.
    Dominic the owner is always on line and everyone swears he has dozens of clones.
    Take a free working trial and join us Eric.
    Dom will even let you use a payment plan.
    I am not the only guy that pushes his software as there are testimonials all over the place.
    Email me if you wish advise as I am here in Chicago.
    We all help one another.

John Martino Guest

Hi wow. Here in NJ you dont even want to think about doing home inspections with out proper E+O. In fact its mandated by the state that all of us have E+O coverage. Im not sure where you are but there are a lot of claims against home inspectors here. My advise is that you do aquire E+O because if you miss something its going to cost you. There is zero preventing someone from filing a lawsuit against you for any reason. I agree with MR. Dirks that your best marketing tool is a satisfied customer. Take care of your client, always remember who is writing your check and you will be at least limiting your exposures. Good luck to you!

Home Inspector NJ

Home inspections in New Jersey

Ted Menelly Guest

E+O at 100,000 with 200,000 aggregate and a million in General liability could start around 1100 to 1200 dollars and up.

Of course that depends on time in, any claims in the past etc.You could probably get 100,000 in E+O with 1500 deductible for under a 1000 but again that all depends on several key items. It could cost a lot more.

I believe all insurance companies agree just legalized crime but that is just me. I never advertise my insurance to anyone

If someone asks for you E+O upfront then I would seriously hesitate in taking them on as a client. They are already looking for something. I have only had one person ask me for the E+O info upfront and that was a builder. He also wanted me to take all liability at the site even if it was the builders fault the roof fell in on the Super or the client. He also wanted the General Liability info upfront. I told the client that they had to find someone else as I do not do business that way or take all liability for any job.

Is E+O a good thing to have...sure. Some fool could file a claim and win whether you are at fault or not. Legal fees could add up to a small fortune even if you win a case.

Shoot, some folks carry millions in E+O and advertise the heck out of it.

I let the clients know up front that when the physical inspection is done....it is done. I offer no warranties as my inspection is done when it is done. You have to manage expectations of clients up front. If you advertise that you never have and never will miss anything and then advertise that if you do miss something then you have 4 million in E+O to cover it what the heck is that telling the clients. I let my clients know up front that there may be something missed. The TREC report also tells the clients that the inspection is to *REDUCE* the financial risk in the home buying process and does not and cannot eliminate that risk.

Missing something can be as easy as looking at in the morning light and then look at it later in the mid day or late afternoon light which all will highlight something different. I have that on the front of my report.

Handle the clients up front before they get the idea that they can handle you.

Also as everyone here will tell you...after inspecting for a few years look back in all honesty and evaluate how you see things now and how you saw those things when you began. It will scare you.