Kyle Lening Guest

Post My plan...any recommendations?

Why do you want to become a home inspector? I see that question get asked here quite often. That being said I wanted to give you all an outline of my plan to start my business and see if you all could help me fill in the blanks or tell me if you would change this or that. I've already had a few inspectors give me their opinions and advice including my state association ORCIA. It was appreciated greatly.

I am currently a welding inspector with a CWI, and Level II Radiography certification. I have been inspecting major gas/oil pipeline welds on various projects all over the country for the past 3 years since I graduated college. It's an amazing job...I make a tremendous amount of money, much more than I assume I will make as a HI. So why on earth would I want to change careers??? The answer is my family. I married my highschool sweetheart who has traveled with me over the years, and she just landed her first teaching job that she starts in a few weeks. Therefore she will be returning home permanently. Along with her goes my 1.5 year old son, Cash, whom I love so very very much. He is getting to the age to where he loves his daddy. Everytime I leave for work he throws a fit. When I come in he beams. The hugs, the kisses, the littlest thing I will miss when they have to return home.

Being with my family is worth more to me than any 100k a year job. Home inspecting will allow me to work out of my home and be with my family. I've read that you all work long hours, usually 7 days a week. This transitions well for me as I average around 80-90 hours a week in my current job. I had 4 days off from March-Sept lol.

Also I feel that since I am already a welding inspector that I am used to detailed report writing, lots of responsibility ( I work under Nuclear Regulatory control ), and dealing with clients. I can learn anything, and with time in the classroom, and shadowing inspections I feel I could learn to be a good HI as well.

My plan to start out is to first take my 90+ hours of home inspection training online. I do think that a hands on class would be better, but online allows me to continuing working and saving money. I'm not sure if HI is anything like welding inspection, but in my experiences the book work taught us definitions....the field taught us the job.

After class hours comes my license. Once that is achieved I will have to wait.

I have read on here and everywhere else that this business is slow to start-up. Slow start up doesn't pay the bills, so I plan to save an entire years worth of bills before going into business. I figure to have this done around June.

Once I am financially set, I will come home and put my business plan into action. I know it's not going to happen in a day, a week, or even several months so I plan to work at the prison for my main source of income. I will begin inspecting part time until business reaches the point to where I can work it full time. I am willing to give it 2 years to take off. If in that 2 years it doesn't reach that point, or I just flat fail...I will still have my welding inspection job to fall back on.

I know it's a long shot to succeed in any business....but I feel that my wife and son deserve a husband and a daddy.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long winded post. I couldn't sleep and decided to post this in an effort to get sleepy.....IT WORKED

Merry Christmas and thank you all!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: My plan...any recommendations?

You seem to have a better plan than most getting into the biz.... and a much better reason. You can't beat family as a reason for anything

You mention a year's worth of money for bills.... In most normal markets (whatever that is) it takes about 3 years to get off the ground and become profitable. So, keep that in mind.

The state of the market could work in your favor or against you. It's pretty much horrible now in most areas so we could be on the brink of a little run..... or we could be in for a couple more years of crap. From what I read the midwest has been holding up okay so hopefully you have a good chance at making it.

The reasons you list that this profession is appealing are fairly accurate. As a parent of three kids in diapers I can tell you I love the time at home and the overall flexibility. Be prepared though.... putting a baby in the crib, grabbing your phone and running into the bathroom for a quiet spot can be a bit stressful at times. For some reason the little ones don't understand the concept of being quiet while daddy tries to make some $$$

Take large groups (associations, message boards, etc.) with a grain of salt. You'll get advice all over the map. Join a local association or try to get hooked up with some local inspectors. That's by far your best info... not that there isn't good stuff around here. This board is great... just not always focused to your area.

Welcome and good luck....

Does your current job provide health insurance?

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Kyle, if you can get your family healthcare insurance coverage under your wife's school district plan, do it. My wife is also a school teacher and her job has our benefits. This is huge from a monetary standpoint as well as peace of mind.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Kyle;

If you have your welding certification, I would consider looking into the possibility of other "special inspector" certs (ie masonry, concrete, fire-proofing) that are needed for building projects.

Contact you states Building code department and check it out.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Kyle, it sounds like a fairly good plan. Have you looked at how many home inspectors are in the market area you plan on serving? How about home sales in that market area?

You might also consider applying your knowledge of welding into your inspection business plan. Perhaps you could market yourself and knowledge of welding to the legal profession as an expert witness, this is very good paying work! I'm sure there is a need for welding inspectors, you have a special niche that you need to market. This might be what you need to get you over the time that it takes to build a good home inspection business.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kyle Lening Guest

My current job has healthcare that I will be able to carry for 18 months after I resign my position. It is union work, so my insurance is escrowed into an account. Jenn will more than likely have our insurance after that through the state as they have pretty good benefits for teachers.

The market around central and eastern Oklahoma is there...you just gotta be willing to get out and fight for it.

I'm interested in the expert witness thing, but I honestly don't know what it is....guess I will have to research. My certifications are mainly for downhill welding, some structural. API, ASME, B31.3, and codes like that.

I will be on to research this expert witness stuff later tonight.

Merry Christmas!

My opinion, FWIW:

1) This is likely the toughest time in the last 20 years to be entering this business - some may say that this is a "opportunity", but IMO it's very hard to make that case.

2) To succeed in his business requires a lot more than just the ability to competently inspect a property and write an accurate and useful report, it also requires the ability and self discipline to run a small business and to market your services, the people skills to keep your temper and maintain your perspective in a situations where others are losing both, the ability to keep a good set of books, file all the required paper work, create and maintain a web site - or to pay someone else to do these things, and a half dozen other assorted skills.

3) There is considerable liability in this business, and it's highest in the first 200 inspections, and especially in the first 25-50. You WILL make a few serious mistakes during this phase of your career, and it the circumstances are right (or wrong) this could translate into big dollar liability. Insurance is expensive, and for the most common type you need to carry the insurance for 3-5 years after you leave the business to protect yourself against a lawsuit filed during the period - you need to be aware that you are taking on a substantial years-long risk and/or expense even if the HI business does not work out for you.

4) This in not the very low overhead business some expect it to be, I run a pretty tight ship, and my expenses this year will be around $8,000 - more, actually, if you consider my actual vehicle costs, and I do many things (for example, most of the work on my own web site, all of the bookkeeping and other associated paperwork) to keep costs down, and I already own the required tools and have paid for most of the training I need.

These are some of the reasons why the three year survival rate for people who actually open for business is estimated to be around 15-25%.

Of course the business has its satisfactions, or no one would be logged into this board.

But it's far from easy, and based on my experience and my evaluation of the other successful inspectors I know personally, most could likely make more money, and have considerably higher personal and family financial security, in another line of work.

YMMV.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Michael Thomas

Kyle Lening Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    This in not the very low overhead business some expect it to be, I run a pretty tight ship, and my expenses this year will be around $8,000 - more, actually, if you consider my actual vehicle costs, and I do many things (for example, most of the work on my own web site, all of the bookkeeping and other associated paperwork) to keep costs down, and I already own the required tools and have paid for most of the training I need.

I will be paying for everything up front with cash...no debt whatsoever.

I am curious about your operating expenses, as your 8,000 is way below what I was estimating. Granted I was throwing in health insurance costs just to make sure if I had to do our health insurance, a business in HI would still be profitable.

Here are the expenses I was counting on.....

Startup Cost:

School-$750
    Exam/Licensing-$680
    Legal Business Setup-$1000
    GL and E&O Insurance-$4000
    Reporting Software-$500
    I already have a good camera, two actually.
    Marketing ( biz cards, flyers, brochures, website )-$500 to $800

Am I missing anything?

Operational costs:

License renewal-$150 year
    Office Supplies-$300-$500 year ( estimate )
    Vehicle Insurance-$160 month
    Health Insurance-$11,000 year ( will not need, but I want the big picture )
    Vehicle gas-HIGH
    GL and E&O Insurance-$4000 a year...all up front or paid in 6-8 montly installments.
    Continuning education-$500 year
    Website/continued marketing-$500+ year
    Taxes/Books-I have a friend who is a CPA who offered to do this for 750$ a year.

What else am I missing? I just threw this post together so I know I missed some obvious things.

The 8K is my basic expense per the corporate return: E&O, license (individual and entity), prorated portion of phone and internet, mileage, and the like. I don't bother expense a home office as that's an audit red flag and I don't want to spend the time. I do my own books, and tax prep is $250 as I have everything very well organized for the accountant. The majority of my work is within 20 miles of the office, and much of it is closer, so I don't have the vehicle expense that HIs in some other areas have to cover.

The first 2 years I had around an extra 11K in expenses for tools (including an IR camera), marketing materials, vehicle signage, a lot of education, etc. The last license cycle I took only the minimum CE required as I find that it's really tough after the first round or two to find classes with much original content - I spend a *lot* of money on books and reference materials, though.

I have excellent insurance through my wife's corporate employer, so that's not an issue (as least as long as she has a job).

I do not want to sound unduly pessimistic, but except in a few cases where the inspector had some sort of pre-existing referral base (usually, through church membership or something similar) for most inspectors I know it took a minimum 1 of 18 months to 2 years get to the point were they were reasonably busy, and in my case it was not until the 4th year that I was getting a really steady supply of referral business from previous clients (I got the most of the rest off my web site, but at the time the web competition was not nearly as stiff as today - I'm having to completely rework my site this winter to stay competitive).

A lot of course depends on market conditions, but IMO it's considerable harder to make it in this business than many expect.

BTW, the BIG thing that new inspectors have going for them is the educational potential of places like IN - when I was first getting started I read my way all the though the old IN board (which is now in the archives) taking extensive notes. And while I did not have the practical experience that comes only with the first few hundred inspections, I learned an *enormous* amount, and was surprised to discover that I knew a lot of things some "old hands" (who were not reading the net) did not - keep in mind that the His posing to places like IN are often in the top 5% or better in terms of knowledge and curiosity, and if you go back and read here to the point where you already know the answers to most questions as you read the posts, you already have a good start on the technical aspects of the job.

Michael Thomas

Kyle Lening Guest

Thanks alot!

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Likely your business operations, GL, E&O and auto insurance estimates are a bit low. You would want to factor in a high umbrella to protect your growing family. Additionally, you have overlooked low experience (higher rates) and disability insurance and long term life insurance to protect the family.

You should also factor in a generous budget for reference materials (they are ever changing) and subscriptions. I believe your education budget is a bit thin as well.

If you have student loans you'll want to increase those short-term, long-term disability and life insurance budgets accordingly.

Overlooked? Cleaning supplies (detailing your vehicle), laundry, and disposables (shoe covers, respirator filters, gloves, knee pads, etc. Cross-contamination to the family, etc. Crawl spaces and attics can be nasty. You'll be inspecting homes (not every home is as nice as the next).

Tuff stuff and white cotton towels, wipes, laundry, etc. it adds up fast.

Kyle Lening Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Likely your business operations, GL, E&O and auto insurance estimates are a bit low. You would want to factor in a high umbrella to protect your growing family. Additionally, you have overlooked low experience (higher rates) and disability insurance and long term life insurance to protect the family.

You should also factor in a generous budget for reference materials (they are ever changing) and subscriptions. I believe your education budget is a bit thin as well.

If you have student loans you'll want to increase those short-term, long-term disability and life insurance budgets accordingly.

Overlooked? Cleaning supplies (detailing your vehicle), laundry, and disposables (shoe covers, respirator filters, gloves, knee pads, etc. Cross-contamination to the family, etc. Crawl spaces and attics can be nasty. You'll be inspecting homes (not every home is as nice as the next).

Tuff stuff and white cotton towels, wipes, laundry, etc. it adds up fast.

The auto insurance is the only one I'm sure of. The GLEO estimates come from the FREA website with their quote for first year inspectors. Life insurance is something I have overlooked, as well as disability. Where do you recommend in going for this? Detailing my vehicle, laundry, etc I don't really consider a operations cost. I have to wash my truck and clothes regardless if I own a business or work for one. Those are just everyday costs of living. I've been on my own for years and know how to pay my bills.....or are you suggesting they become a business expense for tax reasons??? I'm new to this so I apologize for my ignorance. I'm not trying to argue when I rebuttal your post with my replies either....just explaining where I am coming up with these numbers. I don't doubt what you say on expenses...just trying to clarify.

Don't forget the deductible on all of your insurances. While it won't be an expense unless you have a claim (or two) you need it in your budget. I have my deductible set high on both E&O, and health since it lowers premiums and I figure I can cover the small stuff out of the savings. This is a personal choice but high or low deductible, you have to pay it if you have a claim.
    Tools for startup and replacement.
    I figure at least one camera per year, more if I get careless.
    Computer and software, especially anti-virus.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I'd add that I *really* try to keep my expenses down: my vehicle is 10 year old Subaru Forester with 65K miles on it (no way I could do that in many markets) and I expect to drive it another 5-7 years, I buy refurbished electronics and optical equipment (my primary camera is a 3 years old just-won't-die Panasonic), when possible I buy used equipment, I buy things like boot covers and overalls in bulk and made from recycled material, I buy books used off the net whenever possible, etc.

Someone not doing these things could easily double my basic operating expenses (or more), especially if they purchased their vehicle new and operate in a high mileage market.

As for H.G.'s points, I would add that even if you have the income to do so it takes considerable personal discipline to defer present consumption to fund things such as a regular savings program, disability insurance, sufficient life insurance to protect you family, heath costs (such as dental) often not covered even if you have insurance etc. - and all these things at a minimum cost more if you are purchasing them individually rather than through a group plan offered through and employer or union, plus if you purchase privately you also have the not inconsiderable opportunity cost of the time spent to research alternatives.

Also, keep in mind that this is a difficult business to scale up: you are selling time (a commodity you cannot purchase for resale) which places an absolute cap on your income as a single-practitioner business - to increase income beyond that cap you have to start a different sort of business (managing other inspectors).

The more time you block out as unavailable (for example, to be with your family) the less you have to sell - and keep in mind that it's your client's requirements which often dictate when you can work (my weekend availability was a big plus when I was getting started, and I continue to pick up work because of it) and that you won't know from day to day what your schedule will be more than a few days out as most inspections are booked 1-3 days in advance.

The weekend before last I had to pass on two short-notice inspections to other inspectors because I was already booked solid - and then had one of my weekend inspections reschedule after I had referred out the short-notice business.

One of the inspectors took the client's call at dinner and called back in 20 minutes (IMO a perfectly reasonable thing to do if you want to stay on speaking terms with your spouse) - by which time the client had decided to use another inspector. The second inspector was able to fill a cancellation gap in his schedule with the client I passed along.

The following weekend I had no inspections.

That is the reality of this business - and if you are just starting out, and already on short rations, this sort of thing can get old pretty quickly.

Such considerations are the reasons why the proportion of small business is lower in the US than in most other advanced economies and the failure rate for small business is higher here - it's very, very tough to successfully run a small business and adequately protect you family, and it's important to keep in mind that the successful posters on the HI boards represent the survivors of a process that results in long-term failure for most who attempt it.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 12-26-2010 at 02:35 AM.
    Michael Thomas

TOOLS!!!!!
    While most of us probably have the basic screwdrivers and such was use during inspections, there are still lots of specialized tools we all have that are necessary.

Moisture meters (I own 4 now)
    Outlet and electrical testers
    High powered flashlights (you always should have a back up)
    A good ladder
    And a bunch of other home inspection related stuff we all seem to carry.

To make it easy when it comes to tax time, my work computer is just that - work only. Any expenses I have for the computer are always 100% business related.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

This is what I have in my toolbag:

- Streamlght Ultrastinger
    - belt style flashlight holder
    - Streamlight Strion
    - Protimeter Surveymaster moisture meter
    - two outlet testers (GFI testers)
    - electric screwdriver
    - infrared thermometer
    - analog stick style thermometer
    - voltage sniffer
    - 25 ft tape measure
    - digital camera
    - digital voice recorder
    - two long shanked straight slot screwdrivers (for probing)
    - mini ratchet set with nut drivers and other assorted tips
    - needle nose pliers
    - utility knife
    - stick lighter
    - 6 inch magnetic torpedo level
    - extra AA and AAA batteries
    - white out pen
    - pens
    - telescopic magnet pen (when service panel screws fall behind stud wall)

In the car is my telescopic 12.5 foot ladder and the 32 ft extension ladder on top of the car. I also keep a crawlspace kit in my car (tyvek suit, shoes covers, goggle, knee pads, respirator mask).

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Lening View Post
    I will be paying for everything up front with cash...no debt whatsoever.

I am curious about your operating expenses, as your 8,000 is way below what I was estimating. Granted I was throwing in health insurance costs just to make sure if I had to do our health insurance, a business in HI would still be profitable.

Here are the expenses I was counting on.....

Startup Cost:

School-$750
    Exam/Licensing-$680
    Legal Business Setup-$1000
    GL and E&O Insurance-$4000
    Reporting Software-$500
    I already have a good camera, two actually.
    Marketing ( biz cards, fliers, brochures, website )-$500 to $800

Am I missing anything?

Operational costs:

License renewal-$150 year
    Office Supplies-$300-$500 year ( estimate )
    Vehicle Insurance-$160 month
    Health Insurance-$11,000 year ( will not need, but I want the big picture )
    Vehicle gas-HIGH
    GL and E&O Insurance-$4000 a year...all up front or paid in 6-8 monthly installments.
    Continuingeducation-$500 year
    Website/continued marketing-$500+ year
    Taxes/Books-I have a friend who is a CPA who offered to do this for 750$ a year.

What else am I missing? I just threw this post together so I know I missed some obvious things.
    Then list is much greater than that. You are just touching down on the absolute necessities. Advertising on particular sites that point toward you and or links back to your site from multiple direction. Realtor association fees for your SUPRA Key. The list will go on indefinitely. First starting a website you just won't show up anywhere unless you have extensive knowledge but at the beginning you will be paying a lot for it. Brochures, business cards and fliers almost go no where. Well, the business cards do. Realtor meetings buying breakfast for the hoards. MLS meeting, lunches etc etc etc.

No take and expand on that list to the limit. Now take all that money that you have earned elsewhere and act like you just thru it away because you will not see it back again for a long, long, long long time

Please don't kid yourself and let anyone else kid you. There is a tremendous loss of money for a few years. You will be competing against folks that have been out there a while with many of the tricks and expendit6ures already made over the years.

This is a horrifying market right now. There is no sugar coating it. I have been doing this forever and this past year has been my worse in, well, forever. Kiss up to Realtors. Create a one liner report. Don't emphasize anything or give anyone any advise. Don't recommend to anyone that they need a foundation company or an engineer when you see cracks all over the home and doors out of square etc etc etc etc ......and you will have the Realtors begging you to do their clients inspections......But then again....you have to live with yourself.

I know folks that started a year or 2 ago and I have seen their reports and their marketing to Realtors. They have dozens of Realtors begging them to do an inspection.

They have no problem living with themselves.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Kyle Lening Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Then list is much greater than that. You are just touching down on the absolute necessities. Advertising on particular sites that point toward you and or links back to your site from multiple direction. Realtor association fees for your SUPRA Key. The list will go on indefinitely. First starting a website you just won't show up anywhere unless you have extensive knowledge but at the beginning you will be paying a lot for it. Brochures, business cards and fliers almost go no where. Well, the business cards do. Realtor meetings buying breakfast for the hords. MLS meeting, lunches etc etc etc.

No take and expand on that list to the limit. Now take all that money that you have earned elsewhere and act like you just thru it away because you will not see it back again for a long, long, long long time

Please don't kid yourself and let anyone else kid you. There is a tremendous loss of money for a few years. You will be competing against folks that have been out there a while with many of the tricks and expendit6ures already made over the years.

This is a horrifying market right now. There is no sugar coating it. I have been doing this forever and this past year has been my worse in, well, forever. Kiss up to Realtors. Createa one liner report. Don't emphasize anything or give anyone any advise. Don't recommend to anyone that they need a foundation company or an engineer when you see cracks all over the home and doors out of square etc etc etc etc ......and you will have the Realtors begging you to do their clients inspections......But then again....you have to live with yourself.

I know folks that started a year or 2 ago and I have seen their reports and their marketing to Realtors. They have dozens of Realtors begging them to do an inspection.

They have no problem living with themselves.
    I'm not sure if Oklahoma has much use of a Supra Key...thats one I'll have to ask ORCIA about. Just so it's clear to everyone, I don't expect this to be a get rich fast scheme. I'm in no way delusional on this being a ticket for success. Thats why I'm taking the steps to be financially prepared for a SLOW start and will have a full time job work either at the local prison as a counselor ( my degree ), or as a police officer and doing inspections on the side.

I know I will be taking a HUGE paycut...over 50%. But I still believe this to be a good fit for me, and the costs are much lower than many other business ventures. I won't have to go into debt to get started.

Thank you all for your answered and suggestions. I hope you will continue to help me along the way.

Ted Menelly Guest

OK, now I have lost interest.

Lets see

You make tremendous money as a weld inspector. I new someone that did that and did make extremely good money. You might have to pay for your own bennies but the money made makes it worth it.

You have a counseling degree and can or do have a job in a prison doing that already...also making decent money

You are a cop which also makes decent money

Not to mention all probably have excellent benefits, sick time, vacation, medical etc.

But with all those choices you want to go into a very iffy job with no benefits such as sick days, medical coverage, vacation days, retirement etc etc etc etc

In doing so you will pull an inspection here and an inspection there from another inspector that is already working in a bad market?????????????risking all the outlay of cash and really don't need it anyway.

I'm done

Have a wonderful New Year.

Kyle Lening Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    OK, now I have lost interest.

Lets see

You make tremendous money as a weld inspector. I new someone that did that and did make extremely good money. You might have to pay for your own bennies but the money made makes it worth it.

You have a counseling degree and can or do have a job in a prison doing that already...also making decent money

You are a cop which also makes decent money

Not to mention all probably have excellent benefits, sick time, vacation, medical etc.

But with all those choices you want to go into a very iffy job with no benefits such as sick days, medical coverage, vacation days, retirement etc etc etc etc

In doing so you will pull an inspection here and an inspection there from another inspector that is already working in a bad market?????????????risking all the outlay of cash and really don't need it anyway.

I'm done

Have a wonderful New Year.
    I think you misunderstood me, but if you bow out thank you still for your help.

Just to clarify, I am currently a welding inspector. My work is not stationary and takes me away from home an average of 9 months a year. I've been gone since Feb this year. I want to own my own business and be with my family. Thats my reasoning for my interest in starting a HI business.

I graduated with a degree in education/minor in criminal justice which lets me get a job as a rehab counselor at the local prison. I would use that job as my mainstay while trying to take off on as a business owner.

I don't know where you live but in oklahoma cops are lucky to make 20k a year. A rehab counselor starts off at 11.25 hr at the prison.

I am simply considering those jobs as oppurtunities to work full time to support myself
    ( plus my year of saving ) while getting a new career off the ground.

I'm sorry if I upset you with that somehow.

OK. I'll offer two recommendations.

#1, Get a domain name for your inspection business now. It is inexpensive and the one you want might get registered by someone else tomorrow, so act now. Last week, our IT Director, Chris Morrell, authored this new article on how home inspectors should choose their domain name.

#2, you said
    My plan to start out is to first take my 90+ hours of home inspection training online.
    and you said that you are in Oklahoma. You can take the Oklahoma-approved, Pre-Licensing home inspection courses online, for free. Email me at fastreply@nachi.org and I'll explain how you can access it at no charge.

I hope that helps. Happy New Year.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Smile Re: My plan...any recommendations?

It seems like you have pretty well thought this out. The market in many areas is very tough right now, but it will eventually turn around. Besides your training get out in the field and practice. Inspect your home, friends, relatives, look at buildings under construction, take pictures and write reports just like you were getting paid for it. As you said you learn the job in the field. The main factor I see as missing is your marketing of the business and how to do it. While there are many options out there. my personal opinion is no one is better than Mike Crow and the Millionaire Inspector Community. Many of his members are not only hanging on in the tough economy, but growing and flourishing. He's a great mentor and a superb marketer along with having run one of the largest inspection companies in the past and still actively involved in the business. Having personally been in the business for 22 years, I've learned a tremendous amount of marketing in the last 15 months from the millionaire inspector group. Just google him and check it out. I thank you will find the info very useful. Good luck and happy inspecting.

Ron Poteet
    Southwest Home Inspection
    Your Property Inspection Experts

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Personally, I like your ability to communicate, and spell properly. You seem as though you are a quick learner, and well rounded. I would be proud to welcome a literate person to my profession. Your biggest hump does not appear to be in developing a plan. Your plan is well thought out. Your hump is going to be learning the ins and outs of the building field, particularly the type of construction that is varied in your specific locale.

This is going to take time and diligence on your part, which you seem quite capable of doing. On the education end, you are right that attending a school is much more preferable than online education. Find a way of doing this (actual attendance) and it will only be a few weeks out of your family's arms. After that, distance learning is fine if coupled with local association chapter events and a few ride-alongs with a seasoned Inspector or two.

You will be just fine as long as the market does not get worse. And thank you for being so well spoken and patient with others on here. This quality will go well for you in the field. You will most likely be an asset to this profession.

Patrick McCaffery Guest

Going back to what Michael Thomas wrote:
    #2 The business is not just about inspections, it is about marketing. Well established Realtors that sell all the homes, have inspectors that they have worked with and trusted for years. They are not going to be welcoming to a new inspector. I feel that I have the education and training and that I am a good inspector, but I do not like nor am I good at selling.
    #4 Expense
    I am running at about $6,000 for expense this year and that does not include the car and health insurance. That is strictly the business insurance. In addition to the other items listed there are marketing expenses. I do extensive networking and belong to several organizations, one is my local Chamber of Commerce. I perform radon inspection, so I have to rent a radon inspector and pay for that certification. You may also choose to belong to one of the National Inspection Associations, all of which charge money.
    I feel the Home Inspection Business is a great and rewarding business to be in. I had put away enough money to live for three years on in order to become a home inspector. I began my home inspection business in 2007, since then the industry has gone down. The area in which I live has seen the home sales go from over 6,000 a year three years ago to 4,000 in 2010. There are probably over 100 inspectors listed in this area, so there is only enough work for those who have been in the business the longest.
    I have had to take on a part time job driving a truck to continue with my inspection business.
    I am not trying to be negative or deter you, just letting you know what you are getting into. I had a great business plan and thought I had it figured out too. Before you start out in this business, you might want to investigate other choices.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hi Kyle

I'm back. I did not mean to offend or insult or blow you off in anyway.

My intention was for the full reality show. What Patrick said you must take in earnest. Being an inspector is the easiest part of this job. Marketing yourself is the hardest part of this job. My little dig into the Realtor friendly inspectors was not a joke or a funny of any kind. The reality is there are many of those inspectors out there.

The profession has become an appeasement job over the years and so many have gone by the way of making the Realtors smile. They control the hoards of cash out there. If all you had to do was what you are being hired for......basically a consultant to the client about the home they are thinking of buying there would be no problem or concerns. You would be finding the concerns in the home and consulting with your client about those concerns and how to deal with each.

The main problem lies in new inspectors reading about what a home inspection is and then they go directly to the Standards of Practice and they believe that in reading the SOPs it is telling them what an inspection is and meant to be.

That is about as far from the truth as one can get.

Make believe you are a builder and have been for decades. You have built every kind of structure and had your hands on every piece of material and helped install about every system there is or at least know about all those systems very well. You have cut your hands, broken an arm, slid off of roofs, helped the electrician install a panel or boxes and fixtures because they were short handed a couple days etc etc etc and then did all this over and over again for years if not decades. You built houses for other folks. You have built yourself homes and bought and remodeled many others for yourself installing most materials and systems yourself.. You have either built or had built apartment buildings and small retail centers or just did the exterior or interior build out.

Now after all of this your friends son asks you to inspect his new home. You go thru the entire home inside and out from the roof shingles to the foundation including every installed item and system in the home as well as the grading and drainage and retaining wall and swimming pool and fence and inlaw suite etc etc etc.

Now after you went over the entire home inside and out you go over everything with the young man. Then you go home and compile a report on the home touching down on everything you inspected and also now offer advise as to who they should see about the follow up on all these items. You tell him what is wrong and more than likely why it is wrong. You explain things like all those cracks all over the home inside and out along with the doors out of square and they should at the very least have a foundation repair company to come in and take some measurements and recommendations for repair. You explain to them that some of the reasons for the cracks on the left side of the home is because it is 75 feet long and there are no control joints in the brick and the slight movement over time has cracked the brick. You explain to him further that if the soil was not so flat that the roof water run off and rain would have flowed away from the foundation and not expanded the soil and moved the home around. You also explain to him that if there were full gutters the soil at the side of the home would not have washed out etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. All those etc are exactly what you should be telling your client. That is what you are paid for. That is what is wrong with the left side of the home.

That is and always was meant to be a home inspection. If anyone tells you anything different then you need to stop listening to them immediately.

One liners "there is a crack in the brick in the middle of the left side of the home" and that is it. They might even have a picture....and that's it. That is not and never was a home inspection and never will be.

If you explain all that to your client....as you very well should.....you just lost that Realtor as part of your referral base.

It is almost not possible to do a real home inspection today. I have seen folks slide into home inspection and make a bloody small fortune within the first year and have 50 Realtors referring them on a constant basis. Scrambling to "hire them" as they put it. Every Realtor is suppose to give a minimum of three referrals (probably the same in most areas) and most do but have their favorite "the best of the 3" on top. They may even give a long list but sneeze and lay a finger on the "favorite inspector".

That is the home inspection business. It should not be like that but it is. It should be a criminal act for any Realtor to refer any inspector or group of inspectors or association of inspectors. Your clients are grown ups and can find their own inspector.

If you are not a strong marketer and do not want to slant slightly toward the wants and desires of Realtors please do not throw your money away. Pursue a career with good money down the road with benefits and retirement.

Kyle Lening Guest

Believe it or not, but the pipeline world is not all that different. It's amazing how doing what you were hired to do can get you fired, or removed from projects. We have a strict code to follow on pipeline welds, API 1104. It is listed in black and white...very easy to tell a rejectable indication. If you call every rejectable indication you see, you will promptly find yourself removed from the jobsite. I've lost more than one location due to "over" calling welds.

Regardless, I continue to call it as I see it. Don't want to ever hear that a line I was on exploded and killed people from a failed weld.

I think what you refer to, Ted, is what I call the " good ole boy " system. Its pretty much not just an inspection thing, but a work thing period. You gotta learn the system to succeed or go hungry.

It's not right, but it is what it is sadly.

Thanks for the kind words Mitch. I hope that I can become an asset to the home inspection field, and I promise to do my best once I begin this journey.

Another thing for those that may be keeping up with this. My market has not suffered nearly as bad as those on the eastern half of the US. Also I live in Eastern Oklahoma. There are not many HI's at all, especially in the 125 mile area I plan to cover. Competition is with other HI's is low. The hardest thing to overcome in my area appears to be the lack of home buyers wanting home inspections. I don't quite understand wanting to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, and then cheaping out on a couple hundred dollar inspection.

Anyways...I believe you have all given me plenty of things to look into. Thanks goes to each of you who replied. Look forward to new threads when I reach new checkpoints in getting started.

Kyle

Terry Griffin Guest

Kyle,
    When I retired I was the District Distribution Manager for America's number One soft drink company. I had been doing home inspections part time with a friend that was in the business. He moved to Kansas City and when I retired I had some inroads to his previous clients. But, as the old saying goes, "We ate a lot of pork and beans and boiled eggs until I was firmly established in the market. You may be able to put all your skill immediately to good use. But like myself you have to get established in the market place to make a decent living in the home inspection business.
    Have a full and prosperous new year.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Griffin View Post
    Kyle,
    When I retired I was the District Distribution Manager for America's number One soft drink company. I had been doing home inspections part time with a friend that was in the business. He moved to Kansas City and when I retired I had some inroads to his previous clients. But, as the old saying goes, "We ate a lot of pork and beans and boiled eggs until I was firmly established in the market. You may be able to put all your skill immediately to good use. But like myself you have to get established in the market place to make a decent living in the home inspection business.
    Have a full and prosperous new year.
    I still like pork and beans and boiled eggs

You shouldn't think of "getting established" as something that takes a certain amount of time. Marketing is like turning a spigot. Every inspector can choose how fast they want to get established.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Kyle,

As those before have said this is a easy business to get into but hard to be successful. One of the things that most schools or association don't tell you is the mortality rate of an HI. In the first 2 years its 90%, higher than most small businesses. Kaplan, ATI and PITI all know this. However having a plan gives you an advantage.

When I was new I spent over 50% of my time marketing. I would attend open houses, go into offices, try to get invited to office meetings, joined associations. You need to bolster your plan and figure out how to market yourself. A lot of really good inspectors failed because they couldn't market themselves and didn't have the business skills to recognize why they weren't being successful. There are many threads in the Inspection News archives that talk about marketing.

Although online training sound attractive, I don't recommend it for starting out. The interaction in a classroom setting is priceless and can't be replicated through a computer. Speed the time and money to go to a two week class. Spend less on tools initially and more on quality training. A laptop can be purchase for about $500 and a decent camera for less than $300. Don't scrimp on your inspection software - read the archives here on software. Pick one and learn how to use it. This is the product that most people will have in there hand long after you've left the inspection.

If any of the inspection organizations have a local chapter, consider joining. There is a lot to be learned from chapter members.

Last but not least keep asking questions. We all have made lots of mistakes along the way and don't have a problem sharing the lessons learned.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Online video training is especially suited for home inspectors. With online video, I can put you on 200 different roofs with the best experts in the world, TODAY. I can't do that with a chalkboard.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    You shouldn't think of "getting established" as something that takes a certain amount of time. Marketing is like turning a spigot. Every inspector can choose how fast they want to get established.

If I was new and after doing some research on the charactors that run and work at the place where she works, I'm not sure I would listen to lisa for any marketing or inspection training info.

She works for a home inspectors association that's been trying to become somebody for the past 10 years. The only success they have is having a hand full of new inspectors believe they belong to the largest HI org, and they are the worlds best inspectors due to taking an on line quiz. That is only after being told the same line several times every day for the past 10 years.

If you do some research on their open to the public chat board you will find her home inspectors association latest marketing attempt at trying to get home inspectors to join their org was call home inspectors from another association murders.
    Prior to that their brilliant marketing attempt was calling the same inspectors, dumb, stupid, and scumbags that should be killed.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-30-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Many of our educational offerings are open and free to all. Take one now. You need not join InterNACHI to avail yourself of them. They are totally free.

And NACHI.TV is nearly free at less than $9 (about 2 cents per hour of training) to access all of them. That's not $9 each, that's $9 for all of them.

And as I said in one of my earlier posts on this thread, email me and I'll explain how you can access the rest for free.

I'd appreciate you modifying your post Kyle. Thanks in advance.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I found our email exchange. Notice the first sentence in our reply. We gave you full access to everything for free. Can you explain what you think isn't free?

Kyle Lening to fastreply
    show details Dec 26 (4 days ago)
    Hi...

I was interested in the education you spoke of.

Thanks

Kyle Lening

TEI Analytical Services

Washington, PA

Level II Radiographer

Reply to all
    Forward
    Reply to all
    ✆ to lisa, Kyle, fastreply
    Here is a secret link to join for free: ---- You can then access How to become a home inspector: Free Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI Also, if going into biz new, read every word of Inspection Business Success Strategies - InterNACHI It will help.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-30-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Correct. If you don't follow the instructions in my email where I gave you a secret link to first join InterNACHI for free, and instead just try to take a course without first joining for free, the course system will automatically direct you to our membership application which costs $289.

You can only get access to the courses for free, if you join first for free using the secret link I emailed you. You never joined for free, therefore you can't access the courses for free.

Read our email exchange again.

Kyle Lening to fastreply
    Hi...

I was interested in the education you spoke of.

Thanks

Kyle Lening

TEI Analytical Services

Washington, PA

Level II Radiographer

Reply to all
    Forward
    Reply to all
    ✆ to lisa, Kyle, fastreply
    Here is a secret link to join for free: ---- You can then access How to become a home inspector: Free Inspector Education and Training - InterNACHI Also, if going into biz new, read every word of Inspection Business Success Strategies - InterNACHI It will help.
    Does that help?

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 12-30-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Kyle Lening Guest

I got it to work this time. However I am not eligible to join because I do not meet your requirements. I have not taken the required tests.

I have no way of proving if it's free or not...but read alot of guidelines to follow with time limits. There is no show of consequences for not following the guidelines and makes me leary of signing up.

I got it to work this time.
    Good. It works every time.

Are you moving to Oklahoma?

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Kyle Lening Guest

Good. It works every time.

Are you moving to Oklahoma?

I am from Oklahoma...just up in Pennsylvania working on a pipeline job. My home and business will be in Oklahoma though.

I am from Oklahoma...just up in Pennsylvania working on a pipeline job. My home and business will be in Oklahoma though.
    Good, because InterNACHI's online inspection courses are approved for PRE-LICENSING by Oklahoma. InterNACHI's online inspection courses are also approved for continuing education by Oklahoma. And some of NACHI.TV's online video courses are approved for continuing education by Oklahoma. You'll get a free subscription to NACHI.TV too.

See Oklahoma Committee of Home Inspector Examiners approves InterNACHI's online courses for pre-licensing and continuing education. - InterNACHI

The quizzes and exams found within each course are also free, as is the downloadable course material for each course, as is the printable course completion certificate for each course. All free.

As you complete them, they will be auto-logged and time-stamped into your online transcript which is used by Oklahoma to verify that you have finished our Oklahoma-approved Pre-Licensing program. Your time-stamped, online transcript is also free.

Enjoy!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Do me a favor. As you go along, report back here and post your opinion as to the quality of these inspection courses.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Kyle Lening Guest

Do me a favor. As you go along, report back here and post your opinion as to the quality of these inspection courses.
    Will do!

Ted Menelly Guest

Since everyone is talking all honest questions and honest answers I am extremely curious to know if you pay for and have the right thru the owner of this sight to do continuous marketing and advertising on thread after thread on this sight....

Just a curiosity about honest questions and honest answers.

I am kinda thinking any advertiser on this sight (for instance, The ASHI School video on here) would answer that question straight away as to if they had permission to market and advertise on here (within the threads). Every new guy that comes on you just seem to jump at the opportunity to invite him on over to NACHI and offer the training videos and all the other countless free stuff. Offering all the wonderful marketing materials and such as well. Mighty nice of you and all. And in that round about way talking of membership and all which I think does have a cost to it. I think FREA or ASHI or anyone would answer that question straight away with no hesitation.

How about you and your company? I mean the marketing and advertising you do on all the threads, within the threads. Not any other banner or add outside the thread.

Just curious I asked Ben that question a few times and he never answered it. You being the Communication director and all I thought you might be able to answer that question.

I love it. It's almost a Freudian slip on your part. It reveals that deep down, you think InterNACHI's value proposition is so good it's unbelievable, and that even when we give something to someone for free, you call it "advertising" as if we had sold him something. I think I speak for all of InterNACHI when I say that we take such accusations as compliments, just as we do when someone asks us "What's the catch?"

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

... and that even when we give something to someone for free, you call it "advertising" as if we had sold him something.
    Hear that Kyle? Lisa just gave you a free lifetime membership! You will never be billed or expected to pay anything to keep your membership or to do any of their training. I'm so happy Lisa told you that. I only expected it to be a trial membership or even a year membership. But since she just said it was totally free I guess I was wrong.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

But since she just said it was totally free I guess I was wrong.
    It is big of you to admit you were wrong Ken. Thank you.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Ted Menelly Guest

I love it. It's almost a Freudian slip on your part. It reveals that deep down, you think InterNACHI's value proposition is so good it's unbelievable, and that even when we give something to someone for free, you call it "advertising" as if we had sold him something. I think I speak for all of InterNACHI when I say that we take such accusations as compliments, just as we do when someone asks us "What's the catch?"
    Just as I thought Lisa. Ben never answered that question either.

You are in fact trying to recruit new members. You are in fact marketing. You are in fact advertising. I offered you a chance to , so to speak, to redeem yourself and you refused to do so and laughed it off. I tried to give you the credibility that others try to take away and you did not take the opportunity.

There is a catch Lisa and you believe, for what ever reason, that there is no catch. If you get someone to join in then when they eventually spend more money on the affiliates of NACHI then NACHI makes more money.

I know you could not possible be so naive that you believe that your organization just wants to be kind at heart and not make a profit from them. The only reason NACHI wants more members is to make more money.

Either you have been blinded by the light or believe that your associates are not into making money and in fact don't like money at all or you are just part of the scheme to pull in more members so you can all make more money.

Do you think the world is so ignorant that they believe all that garbage or are you so naive that you truly believe all that free garbage. Nothing is free Lisa. Anyone offering everything for free is snowing or trying to snow the world. Once sucked in they continue to spend more money and the Corporation you work for makes more money. If it were not for the intake of money Lisa your Company, Association, Corporation would not exist. If you think anything else then it is time to come out of the rabbit hole.

In the mean time you need to advertise like the rest of the sponsors on here.....unless you already have a fee arrangement with the owner of this site. Me thinks that the fee arrangement has already been made so you can advertise so your company can make more money.

Please give us a break. I hate getting into the ignorance banter but sometimes it is totally impossible not to.

It seems like this thread has gotten off topic, changed directions about inspector associations. There are several good associations out there and each inspector has to pick the one he is comfortable with. Having been in the business full time for 22 years(as of tomorrow) I've been a past member of ASHI, NAHI, and others. They have all had their problems over the years and for reasons I won't detail, I no longer choose to associate myself with these at this time. I had heard about NACHI for quite some time, briefly looked at their membership, and didn't join. Last year a good freind of mine recommended I take a good look at them and the benefits they offer. I did and joined. I have been very pleased with the training, marketing materials they offer and have had great feedback from Lisa and Ben. I noticed a couple of small technical errors in training materials, contacted them, and they called me back, discussed my concerns, and then made changes to the material. I feel they benefits of belonging are many, especially with the cost of travel to gain CE credits seeing as how I am in an area where no classes are available locally.
    NACHI staff may be posting on here to get exposure to gain members, but so what. That's called marketing. Most members I see posting comments also include their company contact info. That's marketing. NACHI has always been professional in their dealings with me personally and I feel they offer great benefits for the money. I hope to continue being a member for many years to come.
    When it comes time to pick a association you want to belong to, do your own research and make your own decision based on the info you glean from them.
    Wishing everyone a prosperous new year and get out and market your butts off.

Ron Poteet
    Southwest Home Inspection
    Your Property Inspection Experts

Inspecting the 4 Corners since 1989

Ted Menelly Guest

Ron

The pics below are adds that are paid for to the owner of the site for businesses other than home inspectors since this is a home inspection website.

Brian makes his money from these advertisers.

The thread was about a business plan from an up and coming inspector and what did we think. A company that markets on here has their communications director trying to round up new members. They already advertise on this site. To openly and directly market to home inspectors inside the forums thread and not with banners around and intermixed with the thread is completely different.

I happen to go to NACHIs website a lot and look around. I was once a member. Whether I like or dislike or whether you like or dislike Lisa or Ben has nothing to do with them openly marketing on this forum. Marketing on this forum is handled in a different manner. It is called buying advertising space as everyone else does as well as the company Lisa and Ben are associated with and that is where the marketing should stay.

Come on Board. We offer this. We offer that. It is all free. etc etc etc etc should be done thru their marketing that is already done on this site when people contact them....not them contacting the individuals thru private emails after attempts at openly marketing do not work inside the threads.

As far as being off point, it is all about a new inspector getting started and an association employee paid for as in salary from that association (I am wondering how she thinks she gets paid if it is "all free") directly markets that newbie thru intermixing in the thread marketing that person.

Home inspectors web pages and stuff is in their signature and there is nothing wrong with that...They are inspectors and this is a Home Inspectors forum...not an advertisers forum trying to direct market on a one by one basis. Advertisers pay to be on here.....outside the threads.

Just so you know I would probably still be a member if I were not in a licensed state. I have a tremendous amount of opportunities all around me for continuing eds classes. I just do not like seeing the relentless indulgence from 2 folks from INTERNACHI. I see Ben has not been on here for awhile. He pops in now and then starting multiple threads with new links for this and that. Once he achieves multiple hits he runs away. In his absence you have Lisa constantly promoting the company

And I am done writing now. I have been a bit board on these 2 slow weeks. Next week is already looking good.

Again the paid for adds below...where Lisa and Ben should leave it.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 12-31-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Hmm. That did not work for some reason

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It seems like this thread has gotten off topic, changed directions about inspector associations. There are several good associations out there and each inspector has to pick the one he is comfortable with. Having been in the business full time for 22 years(as of tomorrow) I've been a past member of ASHI, NAHI, and others. They have all had their problems over the years and for reasons I won't detail, I no longer choose to associate myself with these at this time. I had heard about NACHI for quite some time, briefly looked at their membership, and didn't join. Last year a good freind of mine recommended I take a good look at them and the benefits they offer. I did and joined. I have been very pleased with the training, marketing materials they offer and have had great feedback from Lisa and Ben. I noticed a couple of small technical errors in training materials, contacted them, and they called me back, discussed my concerns, and then made changes to the material. I feel they benefits of belonging are many, especially with the cost of travel to gain CE credits seeing as how I am in an area where no classes are available locally.
    Thank you Ron. Happy New Year.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Kyle...sounds like your eyes are wide open and you have great communication skills. Good luck with the venture. If I were a betting man I'd take the odds in your favor that you'll be a huge asset to our profession.

There were some great comments posted in this thread early on. I wish it hadn't been driven off track by the marketing.

Ken Bates Guest

Home Inspectors phones will be ringing more.

However, the schmucks at the other end will be telemarketers trying to reach into your wallet and not potential clients.

Stay with welding!!! Your are fortunate to have a needed skill. It's only going to get worse.