Default Water heater supply lines

Two questions. First, this material looks familiar but I can't place what it is called and its normal use. Black nylon braided coating, over what feels like stainless steel wound flex piping. Is this allowed material for water heater hot and cold supply lines? Can anyone give me a brand name of the material?

Second (same house), where I normally see flexible copper piping is as the water supply lines for the water heater has now been used as a convenient work-around for a properly installed copper pipe with elbows. It is obviously allowed for water heaters - my question, is this technically allowable by most code standards for normal supply pipe runs?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Frank Kunselman Guest

Default Re: Water heater supply lines

Yep, all three pieces are part of a 'Brasscraft" water heater connection kit...I've got one in my truck I'd like to return but can't find who carries them here. Anyway, whoever installed the three pieces didn't understand that the flex line was the gas supply connector...has a tapered end to fit the flared seat in the brass fitting, which reduces the size to 3/8" at the connection.

Remove the 'Br' and youv'e got the idea of the workmanship

I found it. It IS Brasscraft, and it IS certified for water heater supply lines.
    http://www.brasscraft.com/pdf/0303_G...or_Catalog.pdf pg 27.

Funny how things run in cycles. Now today I found another flex water line on a water heater but it doesn't seem to appear on Brasscrafts's web site. So off we go again; what a way to waste a day.

Frank Kunselman Guest

Correction of previous post: The copper flex is ok if the piece has the dilectric sleeve and washer. For gas, it does not...hope he used the right one.

Question Re: Water heater supply lines

Terry
    Did you catch the lack of electrical bonding jumpers?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

I noticed a RED TAG on top of the water heater. By chance did you happen to take a look at it? They can be very enlightening at times!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Richard Rushing Guest

Is that a galvanized supply line?