Default Some people are just nuts

I got a call yesterday from a woman that found a problem in her house (a waste pipe run thru a return duct) and wanted to go after someone to pay for it (the builder). She wanted to know how much an inspection was.

I asked her how old the house was and she told me that IT WAS 20 YEARS OLD!

I told her that the statute of limitations was way past, and the chance of even finding the builder, much less taking him to court was just crazy.

She then said, 'Well the County must have inspected it and THEY MISSED IT, so they should pay".

I then told her that she would not be successful in trying to sue the County, AND, that 20 years ago, it was likely there wasn't any code inspections in her area, AND it really wouldn't cost that much to fix the problem.

OH, and by the way, the inspection will cost $475. Thankfully, she hung up.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Some people are just nuts

In the immortal words of Steve Lopez, when he used to write for the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"People are idiots".

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Someone just looking for a payday. The concept in the law of being "made whole" has been tainted or lost altogether with multi-million dollar judgments and settlements.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Must be spreading like the flu or err Flue?

I pulled the filter out of an upflow furnace... low and behold the dryer vent was running through the return air... and was separated, that's not good.

I informed the buyer that this item should be repaired for multiple reasons... Anyway.. she wanted to know how to get a hold of the builder as "they should fix it"

BTW, the home was built in the late 60's ... Holly Furnace and all.. still workin'. I mentioned there was a Tax Credit to get rid 'o the gas-guzzlin beast.