Default nuisance condensate

Photo shows intake and exhaust from a condensing furnace, directly above a patio/deck area. Doesn't this seem like a lousy location? Even if the exhaust pipe is sloped back toward the unit, which it appears to be, I'd still expect some dripping of condensate outside. I didn't see any during the inspection, but still ...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: nuisance condensate

I would also guess its going to drip at some time. Under typical layout the garage entry would be underneath the picture area. Is that the case here? If so I'd mention the drip possibility in relation to a car being parked under the pipes, could damage the paint.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    I would also guess its going to drip at some time. Under typical layout the garage entry would be underneath the picture area. Is that the case here? If so I'd mention the drip possibility in relation to a car being parked under the pipes, could damage the paint.
    Thanks Markus.

No, the garage is at the front of the house, this is the rear. It's a combination back yard, patio and deck below the pipes. I'm concerned about people getting dripped on. There's also intake and exhaust (not in the photo) from a condensing tankless water heater over the same area.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Why would it be expected to drip if the schedule 40 is correctly angled at 1'4" per foot towards the unit as it should be.
    OK take that back as they still drip some.
    I see much worse locations however (above A/C condensers and in gangways)(noise) though I look at that balcony and wonder how they got the slope in and how the temp even if lower than a regular B vent might effect what I assume is concrete.

Last edited by Bob Elliott; 01-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Don Murphy Guest

I'd be more concerned with people sitting on the deck breathing the exhaust! There likely is a code for that issue. Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Murphy View Post
    I'd be more concerned with people sitting on the deck breathing the exhaust! There likely is a code for that issue. Anybody?
    Given that the tankless water heater is about 200K BTU, that might be a good point, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Murphy View Post
    Clearance under veranda, porch deck, or
    balcony
    12 inches (30 cm) ‡