Steven latty Guest

Default Sanitary sewer and potable water line clearances

I have a UBC question
    In a residential environment with a very tight area what is the minimum clearances, horizontal and vertical, required for a potable water line to be when crossing and or runing parallel to sanitary sewer lines. The sewer lines are all 2" or less, one of which is a 2" forced sewer line. All the sewer lines crisscrosss the entire available area and come together at a manhole directly inline in the limited area needed for the water line to cross for a residence. My understanding from industrial work/AWWA is water lines are never in the same ditch as sanitary sewer lines and casing plus a specific seperation is required when crossing. But I understand residential is somewhate different by UBC codes. This is Texas.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Sanitary sewer and potable water line clearances

According to the National Standard Plumbing Code, there must be at least 12 inches in all directions.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

The only separation requirement that I am aware of is for pipe buried in the ground. Unless the sewer pipe is approved for use in a building it shall be: water pipe shall be a minimum 12 above the sewer pipe and on a shelf. If the sewer pipe is approved for use within a building there is no separation required.

Check with your local code enforcement official. Get it from the horse's mouth (and the one that will approve or reject your installation) instead of from the internet where the information may or may not be correct.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

two inch SEWER "lines"? Huh?

"forced sewer lines"?

You mention UBC (uniform building code) for whatever reason
    have your profile location as "Oklahoma"
    say "this is texas".

Just what do you think a "sewer" IS?

What do you MEAN?

Who are you?

Introduce yourself, please.

Are you familiar with Plumbing Codes?

For what purpose do you "ask"?

I can't really figure out just what you're "talking about", not much makes sense in your post.

I suspect you have some sort of question regarding a private sanitary treatment system (i.e. septic) and a private water supply (i.e. well, etc.).

I suggest you contact your local public health department authority and/or an environmental health engineer.

P.S. "mobile home parks" and "RV parks" aren't covered by the "residential" building codes.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 01-03-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Steven latty Guest

Sorry for any confusion Mr Watson. I think I have the solution.
    Thank you all

Well then, Darren Miller is wrong, Jack Feldmann thinks that this forum is a waste of time
    and HG Watson is rude. So Steven asked his question and got crapped on for his effort. Shame on you guys.

David,
    Please tell me how my post was rude, or how I crapped on Mr. Latty.
    JF

It really doesn't matter what any of us said trying to answer his questions. It all comes down to the guy that is going to OK his work, or reject it. That's the person he should be asking these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bertrams View Post
    Well then, Darren Miller is wrong, Jack Feldmann thinks that this forum is a waste of time
    and HG Watson is rude. So Steven asked his question and got crapped on for his effort. Shame on you guys.
    David,

In the original post, he stated 'manhole' this indicates an underground installation.

As far as the above quote, my reply was right out of the code used in my area (that's why I clearly stated the NSPC); Jack always gives sound advice (and what better advice is there then to check with the guy who puts on a green or red sticker) and as far as HG goes, well, I don't understand his reply either.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)