Robert Strain Guest

Default OK to install outdoor speakers onto stucco wall?

Hello, I have a home in the north east with real stucco exterior (not artificial). The contractor ran speaker wire through the house to the stucco wall on our exterior deck. I bought some outside speakers that I wanted to install onto the wall near the speaker wire. Installing each speaker requires drilling two small 1/4" holes into the stucco wall (and the wood behind it) and then screwing the speaker holders into the wall. Then I would use DAP clear caulk/silicon to seal the screw etc. My fear is that this could potentially create a leak. Salesperson at home depot said I have nothing to worry about in that regard.

So can I ask what is the probability/possibility that my installing these speakers will create a leak? What are the best practices to use to prevent creating some sort of a leak spot?

Thank you!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: OK to install outdoor speakers onto stucco wall?

Any time you put a hole in a wall you have the potential for a leak. If done properly you can reduce the potential to just about zero. However, there is always a potential.

If you do it right, and use the proper caulking, you will likely not have a problem.

Dominiclp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Any time you put a hole in a wall you have the potential for a leak. If done properly you can reduce the potential to just about zero. However, there is always a potential.

If you do it right, and use the proper caulking, you will likely not have a problem.
    caulking will seal the surface of the wall. not the substrate. if you have wood framed construction and stucco with metal lath over building paper, than a gap into the framed portion of the wall will still exists at the substrate. this will be a problem if the stucco has water migrating at the drainage plain in this location.

Drill holes. Inject clear silicone into holes so it oozes out, then mount speakers and screws. Silicone will act as a weather proof plug.

Dominiclp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Drill holes. Inject clear silicone into holes so it oozes out, then mount speakers and screws. Silicone will act as a weather proof plug.
    sounds like the speakers are already mounted. the fastener holes are small so there is really limited exposure. is the speaker mounted to the stucco or the stucco substrate? who knows these fasteners might not even penetrate the stucco. but the hole for the speaker wire does. the speaker itself will probably be sealed or has a seal (caulk) at the top edge. how much exposure does the stucco get in the location where the speaker is installed? what is the stucco configuration in that location, is there a vertical control joint in the vicinity or a dryer vent above or other opening, does the drainage plain regularly see water? these are all relevant performance questions that would not be addressed by a surface seal. what this comes down to for me is incidental water. that is how the code references the performance requirements of the space between the building paper or other WRB and the stucco. through testing under ASTM the volume of water known as incidental is quantified. check out my blog on this

Robert Strain Guest

Thank you for your responses! These are the speakers that I bought

Amazon.com: Polk Audio Atrium 4 Speakers (Pair, White): Electronics
    Polk Audio Atrium 4 Speakers (Pair, White)

I would have to attach the metal handle to the stucco wall. This would require my making two small screw holes for each speaker.

This wall does get rain, and there is no overhang or anything like that to keep the rain off. It is just a regular vertical stucco wall on a wood frame house. The speaker wire is already protruding through the stucco wall.

There is also an outdoor light which is on the same wall. As best I can tell, the light is simply pushed into a hole in the wall and it is latched behind the wood frame. I don't see any special water penetration protections in place near the light fixture. I did caulk the top of the light fixture as a precaution after the fact when I moved in...

Is it true that two small drill holes that are carefully caulked will cause a lot less "incidental water intrusion" than whatever might be being caused by my outdoor light? I have notice no water penetration inside my house... Thanks!

(I would like to fix the outdoor light too, if it is needed, but I have no idea what to do in that regard...)

Dominiclp Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strain View Post
    Thank you for your responses! These are the speakers that I bought

Amazon.com: Polk Audio Atrium 4 Speakers (Pair, White): Electronics
    Polk Audio Atrium 4 Speakers (Pair, White)

I would have to attach the metal handle to the stucco wall. This would require my making two small screw holes for each speaker.

This wall does get rain, and there is no overhang or anything like that to keep the rain off. It is just a regular vertical stucco wall on a wood frame house. The speaker wire is already protruding through the stucco wall.

There is also an outdoor light which is on the same wall. As best I can tell, the light is simply pushed into a hole in the wall and it is latched behind the wood frame. I don't see any special water penetration protections in place near the light fixture. I did caulk the top of the light fixture as a precaution after the fact when I moved in...

Is it true that two small drill holes that are carefully caulked will cause a lot less "incidental water intrusion" than whatever might be being caused by my outdoor light? I have notice no water penetration inside my house... Thanks!

(I would like to fix the outdoor light too, if it is needed, but I have no idea what to do in that regard...)
    You should follow the caulking recommendations given in this thread. minor penetrations usually are not problematic. the vulnerabilities exists as I described them. I have experience where simple speaker installations have resulted in water infiltration. I was focused here more on making a point than giving you guidance. if it was my house I would caulk the speaker wire and attachment fastener penetrations. and then , depending on the shape of whatever was being mounted to the wall, bed seal the speaker or seal the top edge and sides leaving the bottom open. water does not flow behind stucco that readily because the stucco is in fairly intimate contact with the substrate. water will tend to infiltrate, collect, and migrate at control joint accessories.

Robert Strain Guest

Thank you!

Good choice. I've been rocking some outdoor Polks for 20 years now. I have never brought them inside for winter, and they still sound pretty good. My woofer is a little rattled on one of the speakers, but for the money they have been outstanding. I wouldn't worry too much about the hole in the stucco. A little silicone before you run the screw in, and a little more on the outside and you should be fine.

Let us know how they sound.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Robert Strain Guest

Thanks for all your help!

It is a nice day, with a good forecast for the next few days, so I finally installed the speakers today. I had to go out to home depot to get a masonry drill bit (somehow I originally thought that a regular drill bit would do fine...).

I followed all your instructions, and the Polk Atrium speakers sound EXCELLENT.

I attached some photos. I noticed that the speaker wire connectors on the speakers are a little bit exposed to the weather... hope that is OK.

Now my wife wants me to figure out what to do with the wires...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images