Lisa Turner Guest

Default Can you ID this piping?

I encountered this through the wall piping arrangement last week on an inspection of a large home that had been used as a bed and breakfast. These capped pipes, which look to me like propane gas supply pipes - are installed in four places on the kitchen wall at eye height. I am guessing these are gas lantern pipes but since I've never seen them before I thought I'd ask the experts. Can you guys "shed some light" on this?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Can you ID this piping?

Since its galvanized, I'm leaning towards water. The valve also looks more like a water valve than a standard gas valve. Based on your height and B&B comment, I'm thinking cold water supply to a point of use wall mounted hot water tank. Any electric nearby that location or a bunch of leftover empty 220V breakers in the panel?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Rick Fifield Guest

Look like propane or natural gas pipes. Could be gas lights or, possibly wall mounted finishing ovens like you would find in a restaurant kitchen. How old is the building?

Lisa Turner Guest

House built in 1998. No electrical outlets near these; no extra 220 in panel. Propane Jennair stove in main kitchen with 2 500 gallon storage tanks outside - primarily for heating (2 propane gas furnaces).

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

My guess, assuming they are all hot water dead ends,

At least one used to serve a commercial kitchen type pre-rinse station. Even with a lower-flow (1.6 GPM or less) pre-rinse sprayer, a user can go through over 100 gallons of very hot water in an hour, older units could deliver 2-5 GPM. The next may have served a commercial type dishwasher, the next a "sanitizer". The last may have served the washup sink faucet or a cup/glass pre-scrubber (glass or cup is placed upside down on unit).

All would have needed copious amounts of hot water at temperatures higher than what would be circulated for use outside of a commercial type kitchen. All would have required a vacuum breaker or other backflow prevention equipment, required to be tested annually (and tagged as such).

If one or more of these are supplied via cold water, then might be for a pot filler, a commercial type coffee making station, a steam unit, etc.

No way to know without asking and/or tracing the lines, etc.

In any event, plumbing dead-ends are health hazards and need to be remediated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Turner View Post
    House built in 1998.
    I'd guess gas lines. When did they stop using galvanized pipe for domestic water in your area ? I could see it if the place was built in 1958 but very doubtful in 1998.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Lisa Turner Guest

All recent water lines are CPVC in this area (western North Carolina). Appreciate all the ideas.

I'd guess gas lines. When did they stop using galvanized pipe for domestic water in your area ? I could see it if the place was built in 1958 but very doubtful in 1998.
    Is galvanized pipe a go to gas pipe material for a house built in '98 in your area?

Lisa Turner Guest

Yes. I am thinking that this is what I thought at first - propane supply for gas lanterns. Look at this fuzzy photo I found on the internet while searching for answers. Thanks for all the help, sure do appreciate it. If the home wasn't a foreclosure with former owner nowhere to be found, I'd ask them what this was.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images