gene schafer Guest

Default separation walls between townhouses

When doing a inspection that is questionable I usually will write in my report that a structural engineer or a general contractor be brought in for further evaluation as it appears that condition should be checked. Since I am a general contractor as well as a home inspector for over 30 years I must be careful for a conflict of interest. When doing inspections and working all the time with codes I need to be careful in my reports that I don't quote codes violations but only recommend evaluations to be done by professionals
    in their fields. Then it is up to the customer to follow my recomendations.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: separation walls between townhouses

Quote Originally Posted by gene schafer View Post
    When doing inspections and working all the time with codes I need to be careful in my reports that I don't quote codes violations but only recommend evaluations to be done by professionals
    in their fields.
    If you are 'working all the time with codes' why not include them in your HI report? I do all time. What better way to get the point across to you client then to cite a code. Here's a typical example in my area of a common code violation:

"The insulation shield is missing at the B vent penetration. This is allowing insulation to contact the B vent. Today's requirements (G2426.4) states; 'When passing through insulated assemblies, an insulation shield shall be installed to provide clearance between the vent and the insulation material. When vents pass through attic space, the shield shall terminate not less than 2 inches above the insulation materials and shall be secured in place to prevent displacement." Have the proper shield installed to prevent the insulation from contacting the B vent.

Why wouldn't you include that if it applies to your area?

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Default Re: separation walls between townhouses

Apparenty the OP hit POST instead of REPLY

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...ownhouses.html

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 01-11-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."